It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 23 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:09 pm • # 1 
Administrator

Hello, I built this Lamiglas 3wt back in the spring. It is now one of my favorite 3wts.
The blank is a 7' 3 piece Honey colored E-Glass blank. The guides are chrome light wire snakes from Pac Bay. The reel seat is a REC ADS downlocking with a cocobolo insert.
The grip is a half wells from Golden Witch. The rod casts and fishes great, perfect for panfish and small stream trout.

Jeremy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:29 pm • # 2 

J, did you say the T word in that post? That rod is a perfect small stream sunfish rod!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:43 pm • # 3 
Administrator

Yes I said the T word, I'm hoping though that we can have a broad membership, to include the small stream trout fanatics as well.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:57 pm • # 4 
I love that rod. I have seen pics of it before..I want to build one of those lami's..

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:00 pm • # 5 
Administrator

You won't be sorry if you build one of the Lami's. They are smooth casters, and for an American made blank, they really are a bargain.

J.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:22 pm • # 6 

Oh yeah, I get paid to yank yer crank...LOL

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:28 pm • # 7 

jkurtz7 wrote:
Yes I said the T word, I'm hoping though that we can have a broad membership, to include the small stream trout fanatics as well.
I'm glad you said that! I fish a 7' 3wt lami for brook trout in the Smoky Mtns. A lot of the higher elevation streams are small, heavily overgrown streams where a small light rod is just the ticket. I also use it when fishing for bream with poppers down in the lower warm water areas. Many of you also know me from warmfly (Gary Troutman). My first fish hooked and landed on the lami was a 15" smallmouth and I could not believe how much the rod bent! I knew then that I would really enjoy this rod. It is currently out of service. I decided to change the handle and reelseat out so I am looking at putting a small cigar with cork seat and slide bands.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:44 pm • # 8 

Gary, it is nice to have you man! It is nice to have a national perspective on ultralight fly fishing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:37 pm • # 9 
Administrator

Gary, despite my bias towards sunfish species, I want this forum to be for everyone, no matter what fish they prefer to pursue. I used to be big into trout myself about 8years ago. I gave it up though. I'm kind of itching to go fishing, the panfish are sulking for the winter here so I may have to head out to a small stream not far from here that's stocked with trout.

Jeremy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:22 pm • # 10 

Trout are acceptable winter quarry Jeremy. Look at me, I have had more trout on in the last three weeks than in the last four years.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:05 am • # 11 

I am replacing the handle and reelseat on my lami 3wt.. I have already removed the old one shown in my picts. I am wanting something similiar looks and price wise to the # 250734 http://www.jannsnetcraft....le-kits/025073400007.aspx I believe the butt diameter on the lami is .405 according to lami website specs. have any of you used this handle before on your rods? Do you think there is enough cork material to ream it out enough to fit? I do not have a micrometer to actually measure the blank. For the price, I guess its worth a try

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:10 am • # 12 

I would try it, if you can, and let us know if it works. I would assume there is an extra tenth of an inch you can ream out...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:19 am • # 13 
Administrator

Gary, Janus just used the Netcraft grip/seat combo on his Forecast 2wt build. Netcraft only recommends that combo for rods with butt diameters up to .380
Yes the butt diam. on the Lami is .405. I used a REC downlocking seat on mine with an ID of .413 so I wouldn't have to make any arbors. It was a very close dry fit.

REC has this seat. http://www.reelseats.com/...bf4af6d79b9d55510b08c1014

Struble has this one, but I don't see it as suitable since the cork is mortised and the seat is small (see my matrix post). http://www.mudhole.com/Sh...ly-Seat-Polished-Aluminum

Anglers workshop sells a cork seat by it's self, you have to buy the rings and butt cap separate. I've seen one, and it's tiny, kind of like the ones on the Orvis Superfine rods, So I don't think that one would work either.

There really aren't a lot of choices out there, and what is out there is designed for graphite rods. You may have to find someone to turn one for you. Maybe Pearow will have a better idea.

J.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:31 am • # 14 

That wouldn't even need a tenth of an inch of reaming. If you can, I would check that one out, if you can afford it, if it doesn't work. It would look nice on there, and it would only require reaming of 2.5 thousdandths of an inch. Hmm...Keep us posted on it!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:39 am • # 15 

I bought the rod a couple of years ago from a guy on FFF for $85, so I don't have alot of money in it. I really like both of those other seats you suggested but they are pretty high for this rod. I may try the jannsnettcraft handle kit and see how it works. if not, then I will try another route, maybe even shorten the butt a couple of inches.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:45 am • # 16 
Administrator

Another option would be to shorten the butt up to the back end of the grip, then install a smaller diameter dowel. Me personally, I wouldn't try that as I don't feel comfortable cutting blanks yet. That's just me though.

J.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:59 pm • # 17 

I went ahead and ordered a couple of those handle kits from jannsnetcraft the other day. I received them yesterday and so I fitted the new handle to the butt section last evening. reamed it out to fit and epoxied everything in place. I did a little sanding and fitted the reel to the seat and slide band. I am happy with the way it turned out. I may end up building a rod eventually! Before and after shots.

handle was too long and I did not like the reelseat

Replaced with a small handle (6" and 9.25" overall) and cork slide band seat.Feels and looks like an ultralight setup now!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:32 pm • # 18 
Administrator

Gary, that's great, I'm glad it fit for you. Was the cork pretty thin after you got it reamed or could you go more than the .405?

J.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:33 pm • # 19 

Gary, that looks amazing!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:43 pm • # 20 
Administrator

cool!

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 23 posts ] New Topic Add Reply