It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: UL reel seats
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:11 pm • # 1 

Let's say I do build that Pac Bay 1 or 2 wt......what is the appropriate reel seat with respect to keeping the weight down? Sliding band? I've never been a fan of the way those look. It seems to me that the reel wouldnt be held very securley in one of them. I guess I could do a regular locking design....up or down locking with a cork insert - that would be nice and light.

Anyone ever build a 1 or 2 wt with a regular locking seat? Anyone have any idea what the lightest models are?

David

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:26 pm • # 2 
Administrator

I put a mortised cork ring on the end of the grip and then turned a cork reel seat and added a single sliding band. After 10+ years I've never had a problem with it slipping, and the it has the advantage of moving the weight of the reel slightly forward into the grip, making it a little easier to balance.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:07 am • # 3 
Administrator

David, Me personally, I would use the Struble D2 with a cork insert. It's a downlocking cap and ring seat. They are available from Mudhole. I have a D2 (wood insert though) on my Matrix, and there is no issue with the reel coming loose.
http://www.mudhole.com/Sh...ly-Seat-Polished-Aluminum

If you wanted to use a standard screw lock seat, then I would just order the hardware only, and have some one turn you a cork insert. Something small like the Struble D25 will work well on 1-2wt rods. Mudhole sells the seat skeleton by it's self.
http://www.mudhole.com/Sh...25-Nickel-Silver-Fly-Seat

J.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:13 am • # 4 

I have built numerous batson 6'6 and all have had regular threaded reel seats. If you looking for light, stay away from anything that is nickle silver or chromed brass. I like the batson bul 5 reel seats and the pack bay ul 5 or dl5, both are chromed brass the Pac bay A5 is a really light aluminum seat and wont cost an arm and a leg. If weight is the only concern, 2 slip rings will weigh almost nothing and work as well as anything else.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:23 am • # 5 
Administrator

David, I'm sure if you needed something custom that Mountainshark would be willing to help you out. He does excellent work.
If you need something light and ultra cheap, then the grip/seat combo from Jann's is certainly worth a look see. Janus just used this on his 6'6" Forecast.
http://www.jannsnetcraft....le-kits/025073400007.aspx

J.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:50 am • # 6 

Yes the Jannsnetcrafts are pretty nice for the price. The rings aren't the best of quality but they will hold your reel. Not much clearance between the ring and the seat so it takes a bit of modification but not much..
Janus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:13 am • # 7 

UL rods are the only ones you have to worry about reel seat weight. I am a big fan of cap and ring for UL's. Unfortunately, it is difficult to get caps made from something other than nickel silver. REC made a downsize aluminum locking set at one time, you might check with them. REC is expensive though. If the rod is short, full sized locking components look clunky to me. Don

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:15 am • # 8 

Hey folks,

Two other nice options for short money can be found at Landmarkrodtubes.com and Versitex.com. The PacBay S1 dual slide ring seats are awesome and pretty cheap at under $20. They have been discontinued, but Versitex still caries all of the different varieties.

Here is the PacBay seat:

Landmark has the springwater cap and ring seats and in aluminum and black with a few wood or cork options. They are very cheap at about $12-15$.

Here is a Landmark seat (I applied a few light coats of spar to the cork)

BTW, they both come with cork checks (trim rings to butt up against the grip), but I don't use them as I like to make a nice low profile transition from the seat straight to the cork grip.

Lou

Last edited by Loudog99 on Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:42 pm • # 9 

Lou, can I ask how you would make that last seat? I would like to do something like that when I build, and I am curious, how you bypass the cork ring, and then choosing a seat. I looked at Landmark's seats, and I wondering, the only one with a cork insert option is the screw seat. Is there an option for a cork insert on the cap and ring seats? Sorry if this doesn't make sense.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:18 am • # 10 

Hey Andy,

Yep, they have a cork option for the cap and ring seats. It's best to call Ron and talk to him directly to see what he currently has in stock.

The way I make the transition is to glue the seat first onto the blank, then dry fit the handle. I then tape off the cork insert where it meets the grip with a wrap or 2 of masking tape. I then hand sand the end of the grip to match the reel seat as closely as possible. You can use calipers for accuracy, but I just eyeball it. The transition isn't seemless since the tape creates a tiny ledge, but it isn't bad and the tape keeps you from sanding into the cork insert.

I use 200 grit to start with the rough shaping of the transition- then go to 400-600- and sometimes finish with 1000 grit. I fold the paper over a few times almost creating a small flexible file of sorts to give me good control. Not sure if this is the info you needed, but hope it helps.

Lou

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:23 pm • # 11 

Thanks Lou! When I get around to building a rod, I will have to call Ron then. I am thinking Steffen 7'6" 2/3...

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ] New Topic Add Reply