It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Next Build Arrived
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:43 pm • # 1 

Just got a tube in the mail today! This will be my 4th build. I'm excited and a little nervous. Hopefully I didn't take one for the team here.

I don't like to spend a lot on building rods as I do it more for a hobby than anything. If I were going to spend more on a rod I'd probably just get a manufactured one. I have had pretty good luck with with eBay blanks. I have built a 2wt and a 3wt from Roger. I still fish with the 3wt (8'-7pc) regularly but regrettably sold the 2wt (8'6"-3pc) (pics of both around the forum somewhere). That was a sweet rod and Roger doesn't sell them anymore. Ever since I have been trying to find a replacement.

I found another eBay seller that has 2wts in longer lengths. Bidding me a little nervous because the seller had very little feedback. Gotta start somewhere right? I searched but found no information on the seller or his blanks. I went out on a limb and bid. I got a 9ft 4pc 2wt for $33 delivered in only 2 days! :applause

Upon initial inspection it is pretty light for being 9ft long. Advertised weight was 1.2oz and feels about right. The rod sections fit well and it wiggled pretty nicely. It seemed like it was going to be a little stiffer than my previous 2wt. The tip isn't the section has a little bend to it but you have to look pretty hard to find it. It probably won't be noticeable with guides on it.

As for the numbers. The thing I like about Rogers auctions is that he lists the CCS numbers and the rods I bought from him were very close to the numbers he advertised. I questioned the seller about CCS numbers for his rods and said he hasn't checked them yet. As soon as the rod arrived I quickly found the spine and got to work. This particular rod Measures 1.28/65. Being that is actually a light 1wt has me a little concerned. I really wasn't planning on building a 1wt but it sounds like that is what I have.

My question for you all... What line would you recommend for a 1.28 ERN? Even at 9ft long I'm afraid a 1wt is going to be useless in the typical Oklahoma wind.

One more question regarding reel seats. Have any of you attempted to do a split reel seat where the blank shows between the hood and threaded barrel? Similar to a Mike Montangne Bamboo reel seat. I thought about doing this just for something different.

I will post pics as soon as I get the rod done.

Clay

Last edited by lowandloud on Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Next Build Arrived
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:00 pm • # 2 

I built my first one or should I say, wrapped the guides and installed a grip and seat(no coating yet). A 7wt for my 9 yo son. I really need to build myself a 2wt. Good luck. Looking forward to the finished product.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:04 am • # 3 

I'm very interested in seeing your build on that blank. A 1.28 ERN on a 9 foot blank is intriguing-p-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:55 pm • # 4 

Well...Almost a year later I finally got this build done. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out (except for a few stupid mistakes). What I'm not happy with is the over all weight of the outfit. With the rod being 9ft long, to balance it where it is not tip heavy I'm going to have to have a pretty heavy reel. It seems odd that this 1-2 weight is going to end up heavier ready to fish than my 8ft 7pc 3wt I built a couple of years ago. I must be spoiled by my 6'6 2wt that seems light as a feather. I have an old Martin 65 laying around and put it on just to see how it would balance and believe it or not it is spot on. I highly doubt I will use the Martin but it gives me a reference to how heavy of a real I will need. I know there are differing opinions on rod/reel balance...I just can't stand a tip heavy rod, but that is just me.

Regardless...It's done and here are the pics. It looks much better in the sunlight. The flash really doesn't do it any justice.

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply