It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:28 pm • # 1 

*I ended up buying the 7'6 1wt kit from RDP Flyrods.*

I've been trying to talk myself out of getting into building a rod for a long time....and I just can't do it.

What would be the best way to jump into the next step of my addiction? I've been looking at various accessory kits, but don't want to over indulge and get more than I need, nor do I want to be undergunned and not be able to complete a fishable build.

For those of you who build, how did you get started?

I'm sure this has been discussed here, but a brief 'flipping through' of the forum didn't yield what I was looking for.

All feedback is very much appreciated,

Ross

Last edited by ross91690 on Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:32 am • # 2 

I haven't gone for a kit - all the rods I've built I picked out the components I wanted individually, shopping for best price most of the time. Picking each component individually means you are getting exactly what you want, or what you think you want anyway. So if you overgun/undergun - it's your fault, and not the fault of the guy who threw parts together and called it a kit. That's not to say kits are bad - like I said I've not gone the kit route, and I've seen some sweet kit builds, but I've seen rods firsthand, and read about enough others, to know that if you are going the kit route, research it first. A heavy mismatched reel seat, for instance, on a 6 weight build isn't necessarily horrible. A heavy, overly large reel seat on a 2 weight could very well make for a clunker, even if you build on a top grade blank.

Plus - with careful shopping, you can get better components for the same or lower price than a lot of kits.

MudHole, eBay, Angler's Roost, Angler's Workshop, and J Stockard are the places where I start my component hunts.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:11 am • # 3 

Yeah, I've never understood the allure of a kit, except to save money. Of course saving money is a fine goal, but rod building, for me, is about making a rod custom to my needs. If it's less money than a factory rod then all the better.

Having said that, I hate paying for shipping so I try to buy all of my components from the same online site.

Creating a fly rod to do just what you want it to do is a very satisfying process. I'm sure you will enjoy it and be thankful that you took the plunge.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:39 pm • # 4 

I've built my first, second and third w/in the last month.

I've used Batson and Roger ebay blanks, and Roger ebay components.

I don't have the time or patience to make rods that Michaelangelo would be proud of, but they are all straight and true.

I got a 10' 4wt nymph blank and components in the mail last Friday and caught over a dozen rainbows on the finished rod on Sunday.

Andy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:56 pm • # 5 

After ordering my kit last Friday, I finally received my blank and components today. I'm still waiting on thread to arrive (rookie mistake, ordered my rod kit, drying motor, threading kit and supplies....AND NO THREAD :lol !

I got started right away with what I could. I assembled my reel seat and installed both it and the grip on the blank. What can I say about the blank? The sooner I get a bluegill bending that thing the better. Feels very smooth and slow for graphite, flexing well down towards the handle when given the "wiggle test."

So ready to get this thing ready to fish. Trying to be careful not to rush it, though.

ALSO, big shout out to Mark with RDP Flyrods for very timely replies when ordering. Very helpful. Just ordered a reel from him and received an E-Mail in replay within minutes! Great customer service!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:26 pm • # 6 

I'm curious for the result!!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:59 pm • # 7 

bart wrote:
I'm curious for the result!!!
Me, too.

I built a rod last week from that same blank.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:24 pm • # 8 

Got my thread in today, and wasted no time wrapping her up! Wow, wrapping on thin rods is a pain! Anyhow, she sits on the dryer as I type. All in all, everything went awesome and was much easier than I anticipated.

Can't wait to build another. I'll post better pics when the rod is finished drying.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:16 am • # 9 

My kind of build. No bling to scare fish. No muss, no fuss, straight and true.

Excellent!

Andy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:53 pm • # 10 

Thanks, Andy! I touched up a few spots on it tonight, as well as added wraps above each section of the rod. I'll post better pics of the final build tomorrow after its had a night on the dryer.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:39 pm • # 11 

Done. :)

Can't wait to fish it!

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ] New Topic Add Reply