It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:46 pm • # 1 

I guess I'm in event organizing mode (family reunion coming up in June), but I had such a good time fishing with MBarkerTX early this week that I wondered if anyone would be interested in a weekend get-together, say .... South Llano State Park? A three-day weekend for some, depending on travel.

I'm thinking September would be nice. And that it would be cool if some of the far-flung members (NJ,DE, WI, OH, etc., talking to you guys) might make it down.

FWIW, September also is prime redfish time on the central coast flats, and snook time in South Texas, and the tarpon should be on the jetties. I mean, if you need another reason to come to Texas.

As I'm sure you know, South Llano has lots of wadeable/bank water and also some great paddle-to spots upstream. And campsites. And dark skies at night. Locals could help with airport pickup in San Antonio or Austin.

I'm also thinking about scheduling a half-day paddling trip on the San Saba River near Menard -- phenomenal numbers of fish, virtually no one fishes it. 30 minutes from Junction.

I know I'm a newb, and you guys have done these things before (most recently in the DFW Metroplex from what I can see, last summer), but thought I'd put it out there.

Anyone?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:42 pm • # 2 

This sounds very interesting. Tentatively I am in.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:41 pm • # 3 

I'm in as long no as I'm not working, still in the state, or can get enough notice for approved days off.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:57 pm • # 4 

I'll need to make sure to schedule it for my time off as well ... lots of time to try to find a date that works.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:00 pm • # 5 

Interesting............. But I'd have to cancel the October Matagorda trip, and I'm not sure I can do that. Nothing like the East Matty marsh in late October, or the group of friends I fish it with. Why is life so complicated?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:29 am • # 6 

Jim, I'm certainly open to other dates -- whatever would get the most people there. Just kinda randomly picked Sept as the getting cooler (a little) month, pre-Turkey roost, post summer crowds, pre-holidays.

Tell you what ... If folks want to come to Georgetown, there is plenty of water to fish there. Not sure about camping, but I could check into it. And AUS is a fast 45 min or easy hour. Also, you know, Mesquite Creek Outfitters and if non-fishing spouses wanted to tag along, there are a ton of boutiques, antiques, etc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:23 am • # 7 

Texas Water Man,

How far is Fort Hood from this area and September is to late for me, son is in highschool and will be back in school. You have my interest up and seriously considering a trip to the area...May not be this year but is on my bucket list!

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:02 am • # 8 

Gill,

Fort Hood is less than hour. MBarkerTX could tell you more exactly. But it's close. We have quite a few active duty folks who live in Georgetown and work at Fort Hood/Darnell Army Medical Center/,etc.

August? I mean, it's hot ... But river.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:56 pm • # 9 

Georgetown to Ft Hood from where we fished is 47 miles and a 40 min drive. To the S llano state park mentioned in the post above is 163miles and my gps says 2 hrs and 55mins.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:51 pm • # 10 

Ok, will see how the sod (tuft) hauling/installing season goes and research Fort Hood MWR camping and if MWR has an camping discounts for state park. Interested in maybe renting small travel trailer or cabin for a couple of days! Wife will be with me and she doesn't do tent/sleeping on the ground camping!

Going to do my best to make it and any date in September is ok!

Enjoy and Be Safe!

Last edited by The Gill Guy on Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:19 pm • # 11 

I will definitely put that on my "strongly possible" list for September. I went down to Mason and fished the Llano and San Saba two or three years ago with Keebranch and some other friends. And yes, the San Saba really surprised me with the fish we caught. I will be retiring as of Sep. 1, so I am up for getting away. Not sure yet; have other options in play.

Larry

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ] New Topic Add Reply