It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 34 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:30 am • # 1 

Proposed for Friday, Sept. 22-Mon Sept 26

It's anybody's guess what shape the rivers will be in by late September, but it's generally a pretty nice time to be outdoors in Texas. It would be great if some of the out-of-state and out-of-town folks could come in.

Tentatively planning for Friday arrival -- Fish/Cast/Tie Saturday and Sunday -- Monday departure. The campground is just minutes from access to all three forks of the San Gabriel River, and there are numerous other opportunities nearby (see map link -- only people with the link can view the map and edit it -- you local guys, if you'd like to add some waters or points of interest, please do!).

Downtown Austin music venues, the Bob Bullock Texas History Museum, etc., are about 45 minutes away. The airport is an easy 1 hour drive. The Georgetown square has a coffee shop, hot sauce shop, numerous antique and gift shops, art galleries, wineries and restaurants.

I envision a loose schedule with maybe one or two set meeting times. Small groups or individuals can head out to fish whichever waters they like (I'll put together some detailed maps and directions, and of course be fishing too!) once or twice or three times a day. Group campfire one night. Mesquite Creek Outfitters another.

Map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1P0UDS ... sp=sharing

Mesquite Creek Outfitters on the Georgetown Square is happy to host the group for adult beverages/fly tying/food truck one of the evenings. It might be fun to have some raffle prizes and schwag as well. Maybe t-shirts. I'll work on those things.

Camping available at Cedar Breaks Park (Lake Georgetown). Tent and RV sites (tent sites have electric) available for $26/night.: https://www.recreation.gov/camping/ceda ... rkId=71074

Obviously, all the usual hotel chains as well as B&Bs are available.

America the Beautiful Federal Recreation Annual Passes (Day use and entrance fees -- free or discounted for active duty, disabled veterans, seniors): https://www.recreation.gov/marketing.do ... Series.htm

Local RV Share Rental: https://rvshare.com/rv-rental?lng=-97.7 ... F25%2F2017

Woody RV Rentals: http://www.woodyrvrentals.com/

What do y'all think?

Last edited by TXH2Oman on Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:46 am • # 2 

I think the Gill Guy and Gill Girl (She can fish, if places her mind to it) are going on a road trip to the Hill Country of Texas.

Thanks for the invite!

Enjoy and Be Safe!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:17 am • # 3 

That is something I am looking forward to ,thanks for the arrangement.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:50 pm • # 4 

You're tempting me, Aaron! But if I haul the RV I'll have to stay a couple of extra days to make the effort and the extra fuel worth it. Life's full of tough decisions.......

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:44 pm • # 5 

hipshot wrote:
You're tempting me, Aaron! But if I haul the RV I'll have to stay a couple of extra days to make the effort and the extra fuel worth it. Life's full of tough decisions.......

Well, heck, that seems like a no-brainer. Sounds like we may have to throw the yaks in a day early or a day later ....

Last edited by TXH2Oman on Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:51 pm • # 6 

So, I mentioned in the first post that I hoped to have some goodies. First-up, a fiberglass blank and component kit graciously offered by Matt at Proof Fly Fishing. Details to follow.

Also ... raffle or silent auction benefiting Heroes on the Water, Healing Waters or another nonprofit; drawing from among attendees; prize for biggest fish?

How do you guys think we should handle donations like that?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:26 pm • # 7 

Texas Waterman,

My vote would be to go to Ultralight Fly Fishing site, if that is possible and thanks again for the research, work you have done and are going to do!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:11 pm • # 8 

Gill,

Thanks for the excellent suggestion. That was my first instinct as well, but Jeremy very courteously declined and said there is not a present need. If there is a need in the future, I have a couple of ideas.

At the moment, and we have plenty of time, I'm leaning toward benefiting one or more of the veterans' non-profits (Heroes on the Water, Healing Waters, Veteran Outdoors) and perhaps even seeing if Mesquite Creek Outfitters will allow us to set up a display a couple of weeks in advance -- maybe drive some local traffic to the meet-up and to the forum. Of course, if we go that route, that diminishes each UL Forum member's chances ... so maybe reserve some good schwag for forum members who make the trip as well.

Plenty of time to cogitate on it.

Aaron

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:36 pm • # 9 

Hey Aaron, this computer has been locked up for several days so I have basically been reading from other computers and doing very little participating. If I ever get to where I understand these evil machines, I am going to blow my brains out. Now that my .458 SOCOM upper has finally shipped, I'll use that. The bullet is bigger than my brain............

I am going to text you the name and cellular number of the Heroes on the Water Chapter Coordinator (or whatever his title is; I can't remember) in Corpus. He is a good friend of mine and we fish together whenever we can; you'd have to look awfully hard to find a nicer guy and a better angler. If you are considering HOW as a beneficiary he can help you work it all out. And FWIW, I have dropped some other plans to make the Meetup. I figure all of you guys will appreciate the comic relief when you see me casting..............

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:52 pm • # 10 

Jim, Best news I've heard today! And you'd have to have a pretty bad day to cast uglier than me. Thanks for the contact. I'll hit you back on text.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:52 am • # 11 

I don't want to oversell this or anything, but ....

imagine what someone with actual skills could do with these waters!

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:20 pm • # 12 

Could be fun! Hopefully the weather will cooperate.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:49 pm • # 13 

Yessir! I checked the forecast and sunny and mild is what they are saying.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:56 pm • # 14 

So give us an idea of what kind of crickets we need to tie or buy; at least some general pattern types and hook sizes. Don't want the little fishies laughing at us 'cause we're throwing the wrong stuff.........

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:04 pm • # 15 

Olive is good. Olive beadhead wooly buggers 8-12, olive articulated (ruffed) damselfly nymphs 10-12, black foam ants 12-14, hoppers 8-12, soft hackles, renagades, beadchain Clouser in Pearl/olive or pink/olive in 6 or 8 ... these off the top.of my head and I'm sure I am missing so.e.

Maybe Preast and MBarker will chime in with some of their local faves.

If you have a sure fire carp.pattern, bring extras ;-)

Just keep.in mind that much (though not all) of the water is super clear and bass, in particular, tend to inspect the flies closely.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:17 pm • # 16 

As far as surface flies, I did pretty well with the Llano Bug on the Llano and San Saba when I was last down there. I am thinking seriously of joining you guys as I will be retiring in September and am itching for a road trip.

Larry

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:26 pm • # 17 

Surface- foam bugs, stimulators, renegades, Adams, small poppers etc....
Sub-surface- Briminator, siliworms, pink squirrels, hairs ears, pheasant tails, gunslingers, wooly buggers, micro clouser etc....

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:59 pm • # 18 

Larry -- great news!

Mike, thanks!

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:04 pm • # 19 

At least some typical panfish stuff: dark olive and black; weighted with beadhead or bead chain; rubber legs; or partridge hackles; marabou; buggy. Then the other requisite bass stuff. Be prepared to fish some smaller stuff than you normally do as well.

BH softhackles or haresear (real buggy), BH rubberleg squirrel, chartreuse/black or bumblebee micro poppers, BH (or weighted) olive damsel nymph, small hoppers.

Clousers are just one of those flies that seem to produce for others but I only use them in salt and for white bass. Definitely not a go-to fly for me. Maybe I need to change that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:54 am • # 20 

Wheels are turning. Updates next week I think!

My to-do list includes scheduled meetings with the folks form Veteran Outdoors and Heroes on the Water, scaring up some additional raffle/door prize schwag, and scouting (and possibly reserving) campsites at Cedar Breaks Park.

My wife has graciously consented to a Friday evening cocktail social/map handout/meet-and-great at the house to kick things off. We're on the North Fork of the San Gabriel (backyard access is sketchy, you'll have to walk to the end of the street to get in the water) about 10 minutes from the campground. Personally, I plan to camp Saturday night at least so as not to miss the campfire lies.

More soon!

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 34 posts ] New Topic Add Reply