It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 34 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:59 pm • # 21 

Alrighty Guys and Gals:

I know I wrote Sept. 22-25 in the title of this thread ... I suspect more realistically it will be Friday-Sunday, Sept. 22-24, but folks with more time can certainly come early or stay late.

I'll be promoting this at local fly shops, with the local clubs, etc. There are lots more guys fishing ultralight down here than are on the forum; would love to get them involved.

I'll stop by Cedar Breaks Park before mid-week next week and see if we can reserve some campsites/RV sites.

Can we get a show of hands for sites (and whether tent or RV) so I have a rough number?

Just finished-up a couple of meetings regarding the meet-up, and here's what I have so far:

1. Arrive Friday (or earlier if you like). Fish Friday afternoon on your own or just settled-in, explore the square, whatever.

2. Friday evening, 7 p.m., meet-and-greet (cocktails and beer for those who are interested, fly-tying if you didn't get it done before the trip) at Casa de TXH2OMan -- about 10 minutes from the park. Local maps with detailed directions will be available here, and this would be a great time to buddy-up if you would like to fish with one or more other person. We will have a few locals here too.

3. Saturday morning fishing session. Mid-day break for lunch, rest, whatever ... Saturday afternoon/evening fishing session (or heck, fish through the day if you want) and switch it up, try a different spot. Saturday night campfire at the park. Maybe grill fajitas at sundown.

4. Sunday morning fishing session, or church (lots of options).

5. Sunday at 11 a.m., everyone meet-up at Mesquite Creek Outfitters for a food truck, live music, and the RAFFLE.

6. Raffle packages (rod/reel combos, guided trips, accessories, a complete Proof building kit) will be on display at Mesquite Creek Outfitters the 3 or 4 weeks prior to the event, and I think I've figured a way to have MCO take care of in-person ticket sales and also to offer some sort of online credit card/debit card/PayPal option.

7. Raffle proceeds will benefit VeteranOutdoors and the Hill Country Chapter of Heroes On the Water. We may have some wounded warriors fishing with us.

8. I'll also work out some door prizes for attendees from the forum -- probably a Saturday night thing. Or maybe Friday night.

9. There probably will be t-shirts for the event.

10. After the wrap-up at Mesquite Creek Outfitters, holdovers can hit the water again, and those who need to hit the road or catch a plane can do that. Flights departing AUS after 3 p.m. should work out just fine, and Dallasites and Houstonians can be home before dark.

That's what I got. Feel free to post questions or comments here, PM or email me, what-have-you.

Cheers,

Aaron

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:59 pm • # 22 

Got to visit with Chris Johnson at Living Waters Fly Fishing in Round Rock today. I know some of you know him and have fished with him -- what a great guy!

He is on board to help out with our meet-up -- expect some local flies, some Brushy Creek insight, and a slideshow for our meet-and-greet Friday evening. He also will be donating some product for our VeteranOutdoors and Heroes on the Water fundraiser.

Also, and this may be the most exciting news, you'll want to stop by his BRAND NEW 2400 sq. ft. building (catty-corner from the old one), which will be open by then.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:56 pm • # 23 

Aaron,
I'm waving my hand in the air. Unless something unexpected comes up to prevent it, I plan to be there. I will bring a tent (and quite a few rods and reels). I usually tend to arrive a day or two before things kick off. Should I bring my kayak or is wading the way to go around there?

Larry

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:51 pm • # 24 

Canoeman1947 wrote:
Aaron,
I'm waving my hand in the air. Unless something unexpected comes up to prevent it, I plan to be there. I will bring a tent (and quite a few rods and reels). I usually tend to arrive a day or two before things kick off. Should I bring my kayak or is wading the way to go around there?

Larry

Yay Larry! You will have lots of options - you can wade most of tjem and paddle some. If it was me, I would bring the boat just in case.

Glad it's on your calendar!

Aaron

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:58 pm • # 25 

I checked-in at Cedar Breaks Park today and identified a cluster of camp sites that would be great for the group. Basically, 10-17 are all pretty nice, not too cramped, and close to the lake (cliff here, actually, but nice views). They are also close to the restroom facilities.

Campsites 1-17 (except for 15, which I just reserved) are available for the weekend of the ULFFF.com Meet-up. Each campsite will support one RV AND one tent, or up to four one-man tents. Each campsite will accommodate two vehicles, and each campsite reservation may have up to four vehicles in the park but two will have to park in overflow, near the floating fishing dock.

I strongly encourage anyone fortunate enough to have made it to their 62nd birthday to purchase the annual (lifetime?) federal recreation lands pass for $10 -- free entry, and half price on camping reservations ($26/night without). All campsites have water and electric. There is information on this further up the thread.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:48 pm • # 26 

I just reserved campsite #16. Looking forward to this shindig.

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:57 pm • # 27 

Aaron, the park is a USACOE facility, and a CHL / LTC is not valid here. Let's let everyone know that it's a federal offense to carry a firearm on the premises (with a few exceptions), and that we need to be in compliance, or extremely discreet, for those of us who are gun toters. Don't want to see anyone get jammed up.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:13 pm • # 28 

hipshot wrote:
Aaron, the park is a USACOE facility, and a CHL / LTC is not valid here. Let's let everyone know that it's a federal offense to carry a firearm on the premises (with a few exceptions), and that we need to be in compliance, or extremely discreet, for those of us who are gun toters. Don't want to see anyone get jammed up.

Good point. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:54 am • # 29 

I just reserved site 17; arriving Thursday afternoon and departing Monday. See y'all there!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:03 am • # 30 

I won't be camping but I will be coming down from Killeen to enjoy some fishing and company with y'all.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:05 pm • # 31 

I'm coming in Wednesday and will be in Site 16. Leaving on Monday. Maybe I'll be there to greet you hipshot.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:11 pm • # 32 

Girlfriend can't make this one, but I will have a good friend joining me Saturday to Monday. He's new to fly fishing but he really enjoys it.

Now, which of those rivers has the best redfish in it again?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:06 pm • # 33 

Gents,

Well I'm disappointed that Rhonda and I will not be able to attend the First years Texas Hill Country Fishing outing, but we are blessed because of the reason! Rhonda has a new job which almost doubles her salary!

Again thanks for the invite, Enjoy, and Be Safe!

The Gill Guy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:09 pm • # 34 

Well dangit! But congrats!

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 34 posts ] New Topic Add Reply