It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   Page 2 of 3   [ 47 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Re: Photobucket Problem!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:49 pm • # 21 

Well, that don't work

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:54 pm • # 22 

Forums of all sorts are on fire with this topic. For some time now Photobucket has shown all the classic signs of being in trouble. My guess is this is a desperate move and I also guess that it will fail. Who's going to give them $400 just to post images?

Unfortunately for this forum and all of us, a wealth of visual info will be lost. Similar thing happened years ago with forum images hosted by Geocities and Tripod.

Per their new terms of service, this will happen to everyone. Our only hope is they come to their senses.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:02 am • # 23 

Postimages

20170303_125638-01.jpg

Thumbnail code for forums above.

hotlink code for forums below

20170303_125638-01.jpg

Seems to be free and unlimited.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:13 am • # 24 

Others:

https://imageshack.us/ (Looks like it's $18.99/year -- works, I just don't want to pay right now)

LookPic.com (Does not seem to actually work -- just tried three different hotlinks, and none show up in the preview)

https://pictr.com/ below ... looks like a 5MB limit for free hosting

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:16 am • # 25 

This is from Tinypic.com, so will see how this is going to work for awhile, it is owned by Photobucket

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:28 am • # 26 

Ok, it looks like Tinypic.com just might work

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:20 am • # 27 

Mine still work, but it's only a matter of time. Photobucket seems to be doing this on a one-user-at-a-time basis.
One suggestion you might consider is to get a personal web site of your own. You can then upload whatever you want and link to your images that way. The cost for a reasonable amount of storage will be a lot less that Photobucket's $399/year.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:54 am • # 28 

TXH2Oman wrote:
Whelp. There goes the visual component of the ULFF.com archive.

Here's a story about what happened: https://www.ghacks.net/2017/06/30/photo ... ed-images/

Even if I had $400 and thought it was worth paying that to host images, I don't want to have anything to do with a company that resorts to that sort of extortion.

https://imgur.com/, I'm thinking?

And ... Jeremy, would this be a good time to migrate to bbpress, discourse, or something else? I bet forum members would donate to fund that ....

Thanks for the information TXH20man.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:46 am • # 29 

All the same problems on the fiberglass site. If tinypic a.com is, in fact, owned by photobucket, the same thing will probably happen there.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:25 pm • # 30 

Test

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:16 pm • # 31 

I went with postimage.org. Working so far. Test #2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:31 pm • # 32 

The question is what solution won't put us through this again?

If the forum hosted the images they'd be safe but it would incur increased costs.

I'm on another forum that does this. It's a bit difficult because images are size limited but at least the forum isn't at risk of losing all its images.

I'm heartbroken at the idea of ULFF possibly losing all the images that have been posted.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:25 pm • # 33 

I down loaded all my photos on photobucket onto my external hardrive as was suggested earlier.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:07 am • # 34 
Administrator

I haven't had the time to pursue this issue yet, and I'm not sure if I can make a change on the forum or not. If there's coding involved then I'm screwed. Be patient guys, somehow I'll try to get this resolved.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:25 am • # 35 

jkurtz7 wrote:
I haven't had the time to pursue this issue yet, and I'm not sure if I can make a change on the forum or not. If there's coding involved then I'm screwed. Be patient guys, somehow I'll try to get this resolved.

Thanks, Jeremy. I was out of line suggesting you might want to migrate the forum to another service, but if you were ever thinking of doing that, well, I guess this would be a good time.

Anyway, I certainly appreciate everything you do here out of your own time and pocket and everything you have done making this such a great community!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:29 am • # 36 
Administrator

Well I have dug around in the Admin controls and can't find anything about our photobucket button in the editor. For one, this isn't the forums software being a problem it's Photobucket doing this to everyone and as has been said already in this thread it's affecting pretty much all forums out there right now. YouTube is sticking it too people too right now on many levels unrelated to this issue, but it's a sign that company's that offer services like photo hosting, and even YouTube are having financial problems, and as a result are trying to get people to buy upgrades with features that used to free.

Having this forum host photos will do nothing but eat up server space, and that's an issue, so its not an option. The best I can tell everyone, is that for now we all will have to use any photo hosting service that actually works, then see how things pan out. I think I have an idea as to why photo hosting services are having financial trouble, and it has to do with the dominance of the major social media sites since they all host photos, and most people use them and not forums these days.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:02 pm • # 37 

Classic Fly Rod Forum now has link to go directly to Postimage. It's on bottom left of every post.

Barry

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:53 pm • # 38 
Administrator

GRASSNGLASS wrote:
Classic Fly Rod Forum now has link to go directly to Postimage. It's on bottom left of every post.

Barry

I don't have the know how to do that myself otherwise I would.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:04 pm • # 39 

I'm now using postimage.org as at least they state that this sort of thing is their purpose. It's nice how you can chose to downsize images to a recommended 640x480 for forums and they provide cut and paste links as well. Hoping they don't change their mind at some point.

"Postimage was founded in 2004 to provide message boards with an easy way to upload images for free. Postimage is a very simple, fast and reliable free image service. It's perfect for linking to auctions, message boards, blogs and other websites. Postimage guarantees maximum uptime and performance so that your image will be here whenever you need it. There is no registration or login; all you have to do is submit your picture. With continuous upgrades and dedicated staff Postimage is the #1 solution for Free Image Hosting."

Jeremy, here's a link to their page about adding their plugin to message boards. Hope it helps.

http://postimages.org/plugins

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:03 pm • # 40 
Administrator

I'm not sure if I'll have a plugin installed or not. I'm going to have to find someone to dig into the software at some point to remove the photobucket crap. That costs money though.

I'm seeing tons of backlash on other forums over this. I frequent a number of guitar forums (I don't bother with fishing forums anymore) and lots of people are mad and closing their photobucket accounts, then finding alternative sites. I don't see photobucket surviving this.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   Page 2 of 3   [ 47 posts ] New Topic Add Reply