It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 23 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:12 pm • # 1 

A huge thanks to Tim and Evan at Echo Fly Fishing, Chris at C. Barclay Fly Rod Co., Allie and Dan at Cabela's in Buda, Austin at Bozeman Flyworks, Matt at Proof Fly Fishing and our local heroes, Chris Johnson at Living Waters Fly Fishing and Cody Hirt at Mesquite Creek Outfitters! Please check out their businesses and check back at the silent auction site (benefiting Veteran-Outdoors.com and HeroesOnTheWater.org); I'll be adding auction items throughout the week: https://www.32auctions.com/flyfishingveterans.

If anyone would like to add an item to the auction to raise money for our two very worthy causes, please PM me!

Here's the schedule:

Friday, Sept. 22: If you are staying at Cedar Breaks Park (Lake Georgetown -- see details in the earlier thread), check-in at your leisure, fish on your own, explore Georgetown's historic square. At 7 p.m., my wife and I will be hosting a happy hour meet-and-greet with snacks and beverages at 128 River Rd., Georgetown. Families welcome. This is where you can find a fishing buddy and get the inside scoop (and maps!) on local waters. At 7:30 p.m., Chris Johnson of Living Waters Fly Fishing will present an overview of fishing Brushy Creek.

Saturday, Sept. 23: Morning and afternoon fishing sessions, or fish all day. Mix and match your waters. In the evening, there will be a campfire, whiskey, cigars, and tall tales at Cedar Breaks Park. Look for the scruffy fly bums (somewhere around Sites 15-17).

Sunday, Sept. 24: Fish in the morning, and then at 11 a.m., we'll kick-off the wrap-up at Mesquite Creek Outfitters. Redfin Seafood Kitchen will have a food truck there, and Memphis Kee will be performing live music. There will be door prizes, and we'll announce the auction results at noon!

I strongly encourage catch and release (this is potentially a lot of folks on some small waters), and encourage everyone to carry a trash bag to pack out any trash they come across.

Waters we will be highlighting include the North and South Forks of the San Gabriel River, the San Gabriel River mainstem, Berry Creek, Brushy Creek and Onion Creek.

There are locations suitable for wading (most), paddling/float tube (a couple) and disability-friendly bank fishing (a couple).

Available species include: Guadalupe, spotted and largemouth bass; Rio Grande cichlids; five species of sunfishes; common carp; suckers; several species of catfish; spotted gar; and the occasional freshwater drum (gaspergou).

Productive flies include: Lunch Money, Clousers and other baitfish patterns; Rio Getters (and other damselfly nymph patterns); hoppers; briminators; fur or foam ants; spiders; soft hackle flies; Renegades; crawfish and backstabber patterns -- sizes 6-14 as appropriate for the pattern and targeted species and what you feel comfortable throwing on <3 wt.

Please feel free to PM, text or call me with any questions. 512 nine-nine-nine 2 two 4 six.

Oh, if you know (or even just suspect) you'll be coming, if you could leave a comment below so we have a (very) rough count, that would be great! Thanks, and look forward to seeing everyone next month!

Aaron (TXH2OMan)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:27 pm • # 2 

Sorry I have to pullout as I will be having cataract surgery on the 18th & 20th. Sounds like a wonderful time to be had, good luck and tight lines.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:14 pm • # 3 

As I mentioned in previous posts I will be there. Arriving on Wednesday, Sep. 20. Staying until Sep. 25.

Larry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:31 pm • # 4 

I'm there Thursday to Monday. Next door to Aaron and across from Larry, in #17. More than ready for some time away from the office........
Jim

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:53 am • # 5 

Well, looks like we might get a little rain this weekend ... somewhere between 5 and 15 inches. I'm not going to say I was hoping this would happen before the meet-up, but ... sorta. It's bound to good things for the area streams!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:27 pm • # 6 

Uhhhh.............. not sure about you, but I think I got a little more than 5 to 15 inches.........

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:13 am • # 7 

Yeah ... That was a pretty stupidly insensitive thing for me to write. I was relieved to hear earlier today you were okay, Jim.

We have been hosting family from the Rockport area this week. Our family were absolutely blessed, but my hometown is forever changed. Pray for Houston.

I was just counting up the storms I have worked ,-- from Mitch in El Salvador to Charlie in Del Rio to Allison in Houston to Ike in Chambers and Galveston Counties ... I have no excuse for allowing my gentle Central Texas rain to lull me into forgetting the human suffering these things bring.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:30 am • # 8 

Not insensitive at all; I was just trying to toss a little levity in. I may be taking some time off to help a friend rebuild his place in Rockport; they took a heavy hit. And the photographs I saw of Goose Island State Park indicated that I won't be spending the week before Christmas there now, working over those specks. Might as well do that week early at Tom's. Still waiting to hear the assessment from him, but if I do go down there I'll text you the dates and we can get together for a meal or something. I'll probably stay there a week or so.

And I'm looking forward to reaping the benefits of that gentle Central Texas rain in a few weeks.......

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:58 pm • # 9 

I'm also glad to hear you're OK. I have a good friend who went down to Houston last week to check up on his 98 year old mother. As of last night he was reporting they are still OK and that the water had not quite reached into her house. I hope they are still OK.

Larry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:59 am • # 10 

I'm just glad I looked at elevations when I bought this place. This event produced deep flooding in places that have never seen water before. My place is well above the water, but the road closures kept us in. I sent Aaron a video of me leaving my subdivision Monday morning; a road that has never had water over it before (at least not that part of it) was a raging torrent. If I hadn't been so familiar with that road I'd have never tried it. Mama Nature threw a real tantrum this time; let's not pi$$ her off like that again.........

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:57 pm • # 11 

Hey guys, the silent auction is live! Check out the beauty of a rod that Chris Barclay donated! Also that Echo outfit .... https://www.32auctions.com/flyfishingveterans

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:42 pm • # 12 

I am definitely going to be a competitor in the auction for the Barclay rod. Chris does really great work. Aaron, have you heard any more word from Chris as to whether he can be there for the event? I'm getting awful fidgety waiting for this shindig to kick off.

Larry

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:26 pm • # 13 

Hey Larry, sadly Chris wont be able to make this one. Hoping we can get him down for the next one. But it was awfully nice of him to send that rod!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:52 pm • # 14 

Folks, just a reminder that our silent auction is live. The admin controls are set to extend bidding 3 mins everyone a bid is placed, so sniping will be minimal. If you would simply like to make a donation to our two worthy veterans organizations, there is a button for.that too!

Thanks,

Aaron

https://www.32auctions.com/flyfishingveterans

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:02 pm • # 15 

With Aaron's approval, I posted the meetup information over on the FiberglassFlyRodders forum, so that means there is going to be more competition for the auction items. I know several people over there who do a lot of ultralight flyfishing and quite a few are also members of this forum. That means if you want to participate in the auction you might just have to dig a little deeper into your wallet. ;)

Larry

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:34 am • # 16 

I'm tentatively planning on attending the Friday evening meetup.
My buddy Rob and I are planning to fish at least the 1st half of the day on Saturday.

Check out Rob's Facebook page - Tenkara Texas.

Edward

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:56 pm • # 17 

3102yuma wrote:
I'm tentatively planning on attending the Friday evening meetup.
My buddy Rob and I are planning to fish at least the 1st half of the day on Saturday.

Check out Rob's Facebook page - Tenkara Texas.

Edward

Terrific Edward. Look forward to seeing you guys!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:28 pm • # 18 

Wish I was still there to attend!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:02 am • # 19 

mbarker68x wrote:
Wish I was still there to attend!

Man, me too Mike. You are missed!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:42 pm • # 20 

In regard to my last post above, I didn't dig deep enough and fast enough. I lost out by $10.00 on the Barclay rod to somebody named Willie Nelson. Has anybody ever heard of that dude?

Larry

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 23 posts ] New Topic Add Reply