It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Another meetup proposal.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:45 pm • # 1 

I have a winter spot on the coast that loads up with specks; we also catch reds, black drum, and flounder there. It can be good in the summer, but it's hit or miss then. It's much more consistent once the water temps get down in the fifties. The best part is that it's easy to wadefish, and if the winds permit, it's made to order for ultralight gear. One simply wades out to the edge of the gut and begins casting. You're standing in thigh deep water fishing in 8 to 11 feet of water. Some days you'll catch a lot of short fish, but most days most fish are keepers up to as much as 23 or 24 inches. And a 24" speck (or red) on a two or three weight is a real hoot. I just love what they do to my half weight! You need a kayak or other watercraft to access it; it's an easy thousand yard paddle from the launch ramp. There is RV and tent camping within a half mile of the ramp, and cabin rentals & motels within five miles.

I do a week there every winter, and will do so again this December or January. Y'all interested in making it an ultralight (or UL & fiberglass) meet? Larry, I can solemnly promise (cross my heart and hope to drink too much tekillya) that no Rios will snub your flies there. Really. No BS. Honest......... As an added bonus, there is a Chinese buffet that serves incredibly delicious froglegs fried in jalapeno batter fifteen minutes down the road!!! And two of my companions on these annual UL fluff-chucking events are certified masters of the grill; these jaunts are always good for at least a ten pound weight gain. Jason will be there if he can shake loose from work, for a day or two at least. Hopefully Aaron can come out and play with us too.

Any interest?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:10 am • # 2 

Sounds like fun, but not the best time of year for me. Retirement means less wherewithal for long trips, and also with five grandkids the Christmas season can be costly. Besides, I'm trying to lose weight, not put on another 10 pounds. Dang, and I was really looking forward to hooking up with some of those saltwater Rios.

Larry

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:28 pm • # 3 

Larry, grandkids make great bait! Bring 'em. And I'll help you out with the weight gain; I'll eat half of your steak on ribeye night. And you'da had to fight me for your share of the froglegs anyway......

Just think, finally a worthy adversary for that beefy fiberglass stakeout stick, errrr.... one weight :rollin

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply