It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Singlehanded Speycasting
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:13 pm • # 1 

Hey guys!

Disclaimer: the rod in the vid is a 5wt, but you guys always seeded to like my vids a lot! :)

No fish in it, just pure casting - this was acutally never supposed to be a real video, but then I found this song...

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuYBhyGZPfo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:12 pm • # 2 

Nice video, you make it look so easy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:26 am • # 3 

That's got my curiosity up about one point: what line is it that you're using? My reason for asking is that almost all discussion around here on the topic of single-handed spey/switch casting has seemed to focus on Skagit lines.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:09 am • # 4 

Thanks Jim!

@Pete: While I think skagit lines have their place, I wouldn´t use them for that kind of fishing (I´m well aware the vid shows casting only). A skagit line is easy to throw for a beginner and it´s easy to never learn the technique proper with it. I use a Wulff triangle taper - a very light and gentle line. It´s like with a twohanded rod - I would always prefer a speyline over a skagit or scandi setup - it´s way smoother... I would use a skagit head for very heavy streamers only...

Last edited by LauraPalmer on Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:47 am • # 5 

Nice video!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:48 am • # 6 

Thanks man! :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:28 pm • # 7 

That's why I like fly casting, beautiful to watch and to enjoy doing it yourself, thank you for an inspirational video, let's go practice. I like that you point out it is basically done with a normal line as opposed to a specialized line.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:43 am • # 8 

Thanks! I really like casting too, however fishing is still a lot better(thanks god we do both at the same time) - the only person I know who likes casting better than actual fishing is my girlfriend - it´s true: Once we had an awesome grayling day in Autumn and after 2 hours she quit: "I don´t like it anymore, I get bites all the time, I just want to enjoy the silence and cast." Girls...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:59 am • # 9 

Wonderful casting and great production value in the video.

Admire your casting skills. Sadly I can't even seem to keep hold of how to cast skagit.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:41 pm • # 10 

very short very good video. In my small stream fishing with my back to brush I end up doing more of the spey casting versus hooking trees with a back cast. ...but I don't make it look nearly as easy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:13 am • # 11 

PampasPete wrote:
That's got my curiosity up about one point: what line is it that you're using? My reason for asking is that almost all discussion around here on the topic of single-handed spey/switch casting has seemed to focus on Skagit lines.

The Skagit type lines just make it easy to throw bigger-than-normal flies for a given rod. Skagit lines are for throwing junk - Scandi lines (a lighter, more tapered shooting head) are better presentation lines, and then you have the Triangle Taper lines by Wulff, long belly lines, and "normal" lines

Once you have the techniques down, you can cast any line with those casts to varying success - the line only matters in what type/size flies you're fishing. For heavy streamers, or throwing sink tips - Skagit rules. For lighter streamers and big wets with polyleaders or long mono - Scandi works well. For "normal" trout flies, you can use any line.

You can use sustained anchor casts with Scandi, Spey, or "standard" lines just like you can use touch & go with Skagit lines - it's just not real pretty sometimes. Once you get the hang of it, single hand spey casting can really add a new dimension to your fishing and let you fish more effectively in places where you may have passed up before. And you don't have to just swing flies when doing single hand spey casts - you can cast upstream, you can cast nymph rigs, you can fish still water - the exact cast used in a specific situation may change, but remember that spey/scandi/skagit casting is just roll casting with changes of direction at it's core.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:23 am • # 12 

Knotty wrote:
Wonderful casting and great production value in the video.

Admire your casting skills. Sadly I can't even seem to keep hold of how to cast skagit.

Thanks a lot! Really appreciate you like it that much! :) I would go back to normal line and cast around 10m/yards and only do double speys for a while - this cast teaches one best how to make an effective D-Loop and transfer the energy into a forward cast...

RudeDog12 wrote:
very short very good video. In my small stream fishing with my back to brush I end up doing more of the spey casting versus hooking trees with a back cast. ...but I don't make it look nearly as easy.

Thanks a lot! :) I also come from small stream fishing and I wanted to be able to cast to every rising fish, no matter in what circumstances... I´m still not satisfied with my casting - but the more you dive into it, the more you realise that countless little flaws...

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:03 am • # 13 

Your videos and casting are awesome man! Keep up the great work. I do have to ask, as I'm a terrible caster who is looking to get better, are you self-taught or did you learn from an instructor?

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:55 am • # 14 

Thanks for the nice words - glad you like my stuff!

I learned from a FFI (former: IFFF) Casting Instructor and am a Master Casting Instructor myself now. I still take advice and lessons from other people. :-)
I've seen self thought people doing well and I've seen self thought people doing terrible, despite fishing for decades... I recommend: instead of buying a 800 bucks rod, buy one for 200 and take lessons for a day or two from a certified instructor. Or if you are really really good autodidact try youtube videos. :-)

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ] New Topic Add Reply