It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:01 pm • # 1 

Some LMB I caught and released on 19 April, 2017

Enjoy and Be Safe!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:41 pm • # 2 

Nice fish. I see pics like this and tell myself I need to leave the trout alone someday and go play with their cousins. I am surrounded by bass water, but have not gone out to try it.

What rod is that? I love the color.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:06 pm • # 3 

It is a Cabela's PT 9 foot, 3 weight, and is a 2 piece rod. It is not a high end rod by no means, but I fish it well. It came as a combination with a CSR reel and straight 3 weight line, I replaced the line with Cabela's prestige plus 3 weight, weight forward line and it's and enjoyable rod to me!

The only freshwater trout we have in Delaware are stock in a couple of streams in the northern part of states and two ponds in the lower part of state, So I enjoy the warm water fishes! I think the Bluegill is King for the ultralight fly fisherman!

Thanks, Enjoy and Be Safe!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:45 pm • # 4 

Good stuff GG. Those are pretty "green trout." ;-)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:38 am • # 5 

Nice fish and pictures. I need to lookup that rod....I really like two piece rods.

"green trout", haven't heard LMBs called that in years. I believe I heard that term in Georgia more than fifty years
ago and it was used by elderly men (so I assumed the term had roots back a couple of generations).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:04 pm • # 6 

Guessing it's a joke related to using a fly rod for bass instead of the "usual" target.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:08 am • # 7 

Good point Knotty, may be the origin.

Didn't fine the PT rod on the cabela web site, likely not offered as a two piece any more any way.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:53 pm • # 8 

Yes from an elderly gentleman in North Carolina which he considers a trash fish! If it wasn't a cane pole, slip bobber, split shot, and a cricket hook for Bluegill... My's well not go! It was ok to catch crappie and catfish! He was after the easiest and quickest way to catch alot of fish.

I can believe the term has roots from cool water and warm water fishermen discussing which is the better fishing, both educated and uneducated! I just like to fish and am uneducated about fly fishing, but know it's important to have the green trout in ponds so the Bluegills​ don't over populate. Not really sure who coined the phrase, but have heard it a number of times in North Carolina!

Enjoy and Be Safe!

PS: I release all I catch!

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:26 pm • # 9 

JimRed wrote:
Good point Knotty, may be the origin.

Didn't fine the PT rod on the cabela web site, likely not offered as a two piece any more any way.

JimRed, the PT has been out of production for awhile. I sure liked the one I had. Show up on Ebay occasionally, but not frequently. Must be a good reason for that.

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply