It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Decided to go fishing
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:12 am • # 1 

The morning started off with a nice thunderstorm that lasted the entire drive over to meet up with my friends in Eagle. After quickly getting my gear into the truck we headed out. This must have been a fairly large storm as it lasted for almost the entire drive.

Once we were off the highway and on the forest service road the weather began to clear. By the time we got to our destination the sun was beginning to peak over the mountains. The temperature was a bit warmer than it was on Saturday. When we got there on Saturday the air temp was in the 30s, today it was in the 40s.

After we finished getting ready we headed down to the water. As expected the water was still high and running swiftly.

The early morning started of very slow; however, once things got going it was on. The fish were also a bit more spread out then they were on Saturday. This was a welcome change as it afforded us the chance to fish more of the river. The fish were also far more eager to take our flies.

We fished quite a ways up and down river today and had a lot of fun, I am a bit on the tired side at the moment so I will just end this report with some pictures of some of the fish that we had the pleasure of catching. I am really glad that I decided to take the day off work and go back up there. Oh I almost forgot, I did notice today that there were quite a few fish that had fresh talon wounds on their flanks. No I did not take any pictures of those fish as I thought I would just get them back into the river with no handling.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:59 am • # 2 

:applause
Yes! NowTHAT's a nice day of fishing. Looks like bright sunlight didn't hurt the fishing any.
brent

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:26 am • # 3 

Great report & pics, Sasha

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:04 am • # 4 

Beautiful location and fish. Interesting how varied their patterns are. What types of flies were you using?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:25 pm • # 5 

Very nice pictures of the fish and scenery, thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:25 pm • # 6 

Cool pics.Looks like a good day fishing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:20 am • # 7 

Thanks guys,

Yes the fishing was good even in full sun. Actually when they are in there the fishing is good period. They do migrate though and will eventually leave. When they do that river is then just a pretty river but completely void of fish. They actually might be on the way out already. One of my friends went back today, he said that there are a lot less fish in there today and that only four came to hand. That is drastically lower than the previous two trips. For me though this was my last trip there until next year. I have family plans the next two weekends and the window to fish for those guys is about 2-3 weeks. No big deal but I'll be quietly counting the days until next year.

As far as flies in the morning various nymphs. Yes I know that I hate nymphing the 0wt but sometimes you have to do it. Some of the nymphs were made up ones such as what my friend made up called the evil prince to more common things like pheasant tails. The hatches were pretty bleak as was the dry fly action. We saw some yellow sallies, caddis oh and the mosquitoes that were like fighter squadrons. Not many rises but had multiple fish come up and take my indicator while nymphing but wouldn't even look at a stimmie of a similar color. Guess we should have put a hook in the indicator ;) :lol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:00 pm • # 8 

What a beautiful river and nice cutties.

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply