It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   Page 2 of 3   [ 49 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:40 pm • # 21 

Zenkoanhead wrote:
Is the eye pushed through the side of the tube?
Don it's easier to put the hook point through the plastic tube first and then put it in the vice. It's a very quick-n-dirty tie - only tricky part is maneuvering the mono-thread around the point of hook, being such a small short shank hook.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:51 pm • # 22 

Grabbed a few more fly pics for you using a bit of sunlight - sorry about the amateurish macro quality Image

This is the fuzzel fish - all credit to the great Muz Wilson for inventing this little cracker!!
(When I have time I'll do a dedicated fly tying post for this and other fuzzel variants - this is hot stuff for salt and fresh Image

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:56 pm • # 23 

This is one of my inventions/variants - a full-floating shrimp pattern to be fished either in the surface film or deep on a sinking line around sea-grass. (The rat yellowtail kingfish earlier in the thread fell to one of these fished in the surface film.)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:12 am • # 24 

Now this is something called a salty bugger invented by my good friend from South Africa, Sudesh Pursad.
The bead head, marabou, and flash tail make it lively and irresistible to a lot of salty species.

Here's a pic of Sudesh when he came out for fish with me in Sydney - braining the local scad species (which we call a yakka for some odd reason Image )
Sudesh, for anyone who knows his enviable reputation, is accustomed to bigger fish pursuits - but just look how much fun he's having here Image

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:20 am • # 25 

This is deadly little all-rounder we call an eyefly. Easy-peasy tie with a bit of fish hair, flash, softdip and a black marker pen. - great for scads, mackerel, and various "bait fish" species that sure know how to bend a 2wt:

Enough for today - I have some rod-building and fishing priorities to attend to Image

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:51 pm • # 26 

That plastic tube is interesting. I'm wondering if anyone has an idea of where I might find something like it?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:47 pm • # 27 

Quote:
I forgot what this one is called:

First off great report, it must have been fun!!!!!

The fish in question looks like an adult Mono Argentus (sorry I do not know the common name) or related species.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:49 pm • # 28 

Wow! This has to be the most interesting and enjoyable flyfishing thread I've seen in ages! Thanks, William!

John

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:43 pm • # 29 

AVery Nice post William...I have enjoyed it a lot...Nice flies..Nice fish...and the smile on your friends face tells all....Rob

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:18 pm • # 30 

swalker9513 wrote:
That plastic tube is interesting. I'm wondering if anyone has an idea of where I might find something like it?
The scooby strings are a very popular craft item with kids in the UK and here in Australia. I get mine from toy shops - a bag full of different colors for a couple of dollars. Shop around to find the more transparent varieties with a bit of glitter embedded in them.

I believe in the USA its known as "boondoggle" or "gimp" - but you want the tube variety, not the flat one.
It's mainly used for making lanyards, keychains, etc (and even some interesting kinds of undewear Image ).
Here's a wiki link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoubidou

Last edited by William on Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:27 pm • # 31 

William, I really enjoy your posts, they remind me of many of the fish I grew up catching in Hawaii

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:53 pm • # 32 

Brett that's very interesting about Hawaii Image My own interest in ultra-light was fired up a few decades ago by an article I read in Saltwater Sportsman Magazine about UL spinning for various species in Hawaii - the hero shot was brightly lit up blue spotted trevally species - probably only 2-3lb but a giant on UL gear. They were using tiny 4lb spinning outfits and shad-like soft plastics - fishing from a boat right close into the washes around reefs and dropoffs. What I recall most vividly was the description of the hectic UL battles - the danger of popping such light line trying to keep those little fighters away from the reef Image

Although I've never been to Hawaii (I grew up in South Africa and moved to Australia about 20 years ago) I've always wanted to go there - a sort of pilgrimmage to the roots of my awakening to the excitement of UL - to do exactly what that article and pictures described.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:08 pm • # 33 

William,

How's the nickel-silver hardware on your fly rods holding up to the saltwater?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:50 am • # 34 

Dark Waters wrote:
William,

How's the nickel-silver hardware on your fly rods holding up to the saltwater?
That weird fuzzy slightly green stuff - is that what you're referring to? ImageImageImageImage
But thankfully nothing has actually fallen apart yet. The worst damage so far has been to the aluminum tube of my Sage XP 3wt - I put the rod away for a few months not realizing that some salty water had splashed on the rod sock and dried - quite an impressive chemical reaction I must say Image

But it's all replaceable and I'm not about to let it get it the way of having fun. I have no shame using cheep plastic/compo reels and all my latest gear has been ordered with salt resistant hardware. Dan from Dan Craft took a few weeks but came good with a perfect set of salt resistant components for the Five Rivers FT 9' 2wt I'm building right now.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:32 am • # 35 

Ah, I hear you there. I would love to take my 3 weight into the salt but I would rather not subject it to the eventual corrosion. I'm thinking of getting a longer (9') high-end rod in 3 or 4 weight, (sage z-axis?) and was thinking about maybe having one built with salt-safe components. Not sure about that yet but I've got time.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:07 pm • # 36 

I thought I fish light by using a 6 and once a 4 wt to catch schoolies( stripe bass less than 24 inches) here in New York. great story!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:06 pm • # 37 

May sound a little strange to any but the hardcore, but the trick to salt care is to take the rod into the shower with you. Just don't tell the wife. Don

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:50 pm • # 38 

is it considered to be a three some if my wife joins?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:11 am • # 39 

Reading this post may end up being my favorite Chtrismas present. Everyone of those flies you've shown us would just tear the fish up in both fresh and salt water here in Texas. You may be the push that gets me into tying. That Surf Candy fly would be so much fun to experiment with some of the different colored dyes I use on soft plastics. A little chartreuse on the tail or down the back would be killer for white and black bass. Thanks for sharing William, and Merry Christmas.

Roy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:23 pm • # 40 

Nice pics.....any chance you post up some fly recipes....or techniques you use to make the bodies on those flies?

Thanks,

David

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   Page 2 of 3   [ 49 posts ] New Topic Add Reply