It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:02 pm • # 1 

Well guys this is my first for reel fiberglass ultra light fly rod, sense it dates from 1953 I thought it might be of interest here. Its a Horrocks Ibbotson model 1200 Queen Elizabeth ultra light 6ft 9in 3.1 oz 3wt glass rod. Can you believe it? 1953!!!
Picked up this minty rod and a production model minty 1954 which Im already fishing with an Orvis Wonderline DT3Floating and one of (fiberglassflyrodders) flygoddess's 3-4wt furrled tappered sinking leaders with a 2 1/2ft 3# tippet and a size 28 nymph. For winter windless fishing here its an absolute fun rod, I love it. Johnsons book shows it as the highest priced model behind the custom made presentation rod. Frankly Ive never seen one before. Im in love, hahaha, this is quite a rod. I coupled it with a perfect balance with an early Ocean City 76 silent click reel, it was green too and sort of matched the threaded portion of the reel seat. Now I have a for real glass ultra light, what fun.
Richard

They were both minty in tubes and socks

Blued NS ferrules, what class

Early spiral wraps

blued stripper, don't ya just love it

early bamboo style ring hook keeper

1953 first year hand written model decal

neat hand filling grip and downlocking cork reel seat

even the mint grip cork decal

says 25% nylon, Johnsons book suggest much less

ok the other one Im fishing, a minty 1954 production model

Ocean City 76 silent click, in green to match the threaded part of the reel seat

size 28 nymph

Ok guys one to look for, a true 3wt glass fly rod from 1953.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:13 pm • # 2 

That is just amazing, and from H-I, to boot. I thought 3 wts in glass were all modern.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:17 pm • # 3 

Very COOL Richard!!!!!!!!!!

Doug

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:39 pm • # 4 

Thanks guys its a real fun rod too, no toy, you can do a nice 40-50ft roll cast without any real effort as long as the winds are calm. For sight casting to the local trout at under 25ft its a real jewel. Plus the reel balances the rod perfectly. Im really having fun with it. I had no idea there were glass ultra lights out there, especially from the early 1950s. What else is out there we have no awareness of? This rod is every bit as good as my best Phillipson Epoxite 4wt, but with a 3wt line. It was the best they had to offer in 1953-54 right behind their custom made presentation rods, and was for some unknown reason dropped in 1955. Decades before its time for sure.
Richard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:20 pm • # 5 
Administrator

Richard,
Your rod is a real gem considering that it's an early HI production model in that great condition and that a rod of that vintage would be available in a 3wt. Wonders will never cease. I am truly amazed at some of the unique finds you have.
My question is who made the blank for this rod? US Fiberglass, St Croix?
Les

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:15 pm • # 6 

Hi Les,
Well actually this rod dates to 1954 at that point in time they had ceased using Conolon blanks and were producing their own. According to Johnsons book on fiberglass fly rods, this was a very short two or three year period when nylon was introduced to help plastize the resin. As such I would suspect a very small percentage used, however as you can see by the advertising on the rod sock, according to them 25% nylon is present. Perhaps thats ment to mean a percentage within the actual resin? Ive really no idea what their sock claimer means, however the rod is unique for the period. The earliest glass rod thats a true line weight I have is the EF60 Phillipson 4wt, yet this rod easily casts a DT3wt with complete control. I know Ive never dreamed there were such glass factory ultra lights out there, let alone one from the early 1950s.
This rod would predate the US Fiberglass production by some decade plus. Even St Croix was not making a 3wt. I have a couple of their earliest ultra light weave glass rods, i.e. the 6 1/2ft, 6ft 9in and 7ft, they are all like the later Imperial series, yet all are true 4 or 5wts, nothing light like this. Frankly its a far better rod than my very late 1979 conolon 6ft 4wt, that rod is noodly, this one is not, its pure fly rod. Feels like a 4 or 5wt in your hands and casts like one, until you realize your casting a true 3wt fly line.
I know Im gonna be comparing my S-glass Steffen and E-glass McFarland blank builds this winter to this rods feel. Its as crisp and solid as my best graphite Orvis and Winston ultra lights, just a tiny bit slower in action.
Definately a rod to watch for!
Richard

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:48 am • # 7 

Thanks Richard! I like that one a lot!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:50 pm • # 8 
Administrator

Wow Richard, I had no clue that there were any 3wts made back then. That is really cool. I thought that the ultralights of yesteryear were all 4/5wt rods.
This one is old school ultralight, It's a Fenwick Ferrulite 535. It's 5'3" long, and is rated for a 5wt line. I did CCS numbers on it and it rates as a 2wt by those standards. It certainly feels like one. I've fished it with a 3wt line, and it worked very well.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:56 pm • # 9 

J, I like that rod, and would like to know what the 6' 5wt tests at.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:46 pm • # 10 

Richard,
I got the same rod recently, the '53 version, and I agree with everything you've had to say about the rod. Horrocks-Ibbotson was known primarily for some rather mediocre cane rods, but they really got this one right. I think this may become one of my favorite small stream rods.
Larry

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply