It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next   Page 2 of 4   [ 78 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:50 pm • # 21 

keebranch wrote:
all
although I love attending these and unfortunately missed the last one- I'm unable to come on this one. My niece is graduating high school and the date is May 18th. I would love to come down another date and wet a line on the San Gabriel or Brushy Creek.

Les

Les, I know you've fished them, but I'd be happy to take you fishing on both!

Aaron

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:12 pm • # 22 

Jim do you have a magnifying lens that will blow it up to 10X?

Larry

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:12 pm • # 23 

Jim do you have a magnifying lens that will blow it up to 10X?

Larry

Hmmmm...... appears my computer is playing games again.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:01 am • # 24 

if its is cool I can get by with as little as 20amp. Just to keep the lights on

Lee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:06 am • # 25 

if cool I can get by on 20amp. just to keep the lights and radio working

I can use a tent if need be.

Lee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:43 pm • # 26 
Administrator

TXH2Oman wrote:
keebranch wrote:
all
although I love attending these and unfortunately missed the last one- I'm unable to come on this one. My niece is graduating high school and the date is May 18th. I would love to come down another date and wet a line on the San Gabriel or Brushy Creek.

Les

Les, I know you've fished them, but I'd be happy to take you fishing on both!

Aaron

I think I'll take you up on that this srping.

Les

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:02 am • # 27 

We have had one bid for South Llano River State Park and several have indicated here or have called me and expressed a preference for the Mason City Park as the site for the gathering. Mason City Park it is. I have spoken with Brenda Mueller at the city park, and she said they would try to put us all in one area. I will have further information in the next day or so. I and a few others plan on coming in three or four days early to get in more fishing. I would like to get some idea of who plans to tent camp and who is bringing an RV.

Larry

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:15 pm • # 28 

Hmmmm......... my post disappeared ???? I should be there Tuesday the 15th and depart Monday the 21st. I mayhave another friend in his RV with me, contingent on the status at the plant he manages. I'll also have a couple of friends staying in my RV for part of the trip. Oughta be fun.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:14 pm • # 29 

Jim, I just thought you had disappeared into the Twilight Zone. Glad you found your way back to this dimension. I plan to get there on Tuesday the 15th also. I will be coming with two other guys and maybe my oldest grandson if I can talk a 15 year old into hanging out with a bunch of old farts for several days. I have a call in to the park in Mason to make a reservation. When they call me back, I will find out what we need to know about getting set up and post the information; probably by this evening.

Larry

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:30 am • # 30 

I made my reservation for Mason City Park this morning. I will be arriving on May 15 and will stay to Sunday the 20th. We will have our pop-up camper set up next to the tent camping area. Brenda Mueller, one of the camp hosts, said she would leave at least 3 or 4 RV sites closest to the tent camping area available for those who are bringing RV's. These RV sites are of the back in type, so sharpen up your skills at backing in.

TO MAKE YOUR RESERVATIONS CALL: 1-325-347-2064. Tell them you are coming for the HILL COUNTRY FLYFISHING event, so they will know to put you all in the same area. You pay on arrival not when making the reservation. They will take cash or credit card, but I was advised there is a small surcharge (approx. 2.5% of the total) when paying with a credit card. On the city website, the rates for RV's was quoted at $25.00 per night, but I don't know if this is still a current price and I would assume tent sites are less. You may have to leave a message when you call if they are not available to answer. If they have to call you back, don't be startled when your caller ID shows WEST CENTRAL WI. I almost rejected the call until I recognized the number.

As mentioned previously, the RV sites offer 30 and 50 amp connections. The tent camping area has water and electricity. There are two shower houses and bathrooms and a small laundry facility. They keep the park very clean. The hosts, Corky and Brenda Mueller, are very nice people and the last time we stayed there, they bent over backward to make our stay pleasant. For further information go to Mason, TX city website/city departments/Parks. There is also a map.

Larry

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:20 pm • # 31 

One of the guys that had planned to come with me found out he has too many birthdays and weddings coming up in May, so he can't make it. However, my 15 year old grandson who loves to fish has said he would like to come. He has never flyfished before and was unsure he could handle it. He is an athlete and will have no trouble picking it up. I actually worked with him on casting when he was 9 and he wasn't bad; he just preferred to stick with the type of fishing he was accustomed to at that time. I told him he doesn't have a choice this time.

Larry

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:18 pm • # 32 

If you haven't made your reservations yet you should consider doing so pretty soon. Mrs. Mueller said if we get our reservations in early we can guarantee all of us being pretty close together instead of being scattered out around the park. Remember, no payment due until arrival and if something comes up to prevent your attendance you can cancel at any time.

Larry

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:50 pm • # 33 

Okay Larry; I'm reserved (betcha you never thought you'd hear that about me). I'll be in #4 from Tuesday the 15th to Monday the 21st.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:16 pm • # 34 

Reserved: 1) "slow to reveal emotion or opinions" Nope that doesn't seem to fit.
2) "kept specially for a particular purpose" Can't imagine a purpose for which you might be kept.

Yeah, you're right Jim, I never thought that about you. :rollin

Larry

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:42 pm • # 35 

Is anybody thinking about bringing a canoe or kayak? There might be some sections we would like to float and fish. I can bring both. For those people who don't have a water craft, I know there are some outfitters in the area that could rent one. I'm not sure I really want to mess with it, most of the areas are wadeable. I guess I could always bring them even if I don't use them. If most people are just thinking of wading, I can leave them at home and save myself a lot of lashing down. What are your thoughts on this?

Larry

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:18 pm • # 36 

I can bring a couple of kayaks but if there is enough wadeable water I'll skip the extra bother.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:07 pm • # 37 

There is plenty of wadeable water in many places, so think I'll not bother with bringing the boats. Using the canoes or kayaks means working out a shuttle arrangement, either hiring somebody to come pick you up at the end of the journey or leaving your truck or trucks somewhere unattended for several hours in an out of the way place. There is just nothing like coming to the end of the float to find your truck either missing or minus wheels and tires and stereo. :eek

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:10 pm • # 38 

I've never fished the Llano. How is access?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:51 pm • # 39 

The Llano is probably the most easily accessed of all the Hill Country rivers. Almost all of the crossings provide access. And from what I experienced the last time I was there, at each crossing the riverine environment seemed to be different, so that there was a lot of different types of fishing structure from crossing to crossing. It's just a crying shame that the famed rooster of Castell died about 3 years ago. The sight of an aroused rooster trying to make love to a Singing Billy Bass is just an image that never leaves your mind. :rollin :rollin

Larry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:36 pm • # 40 

Some things are better left unseen................... Should I bring the Brain Bleach?

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next   Page 2 of 4   [ 78 posts ] New Topic Add Reply