It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:59 am • # 1 

I have(God help me) broken down and got a smart phone. I would like to use it to its fullest and eliminate traveling with numerous gadgets. I want it to be my tunes, gps, camera and phone...I would rather go to the dentist than make a phone call when I'm fishing but its there if I have to. I was wondering if anybody had any case recommendations. The phone is a S5 that is already moderately waterproof. My big requirements are a secure attachment point for some type of lanyard, protection from reasonable drops and I would like a permanent installation that doesn't impede using the device. I have looked at the small roll top "dry bags" but I think that would ruin the photo quality.

I would be retiring my old Olympus Tough camera. I have shown that little mercy over the years. Maybe expecting a phone case that would be robust as the Tough is expecting a lot. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:10 am • # 2 

This is what I use and have been real happy with it

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Ace-T ... 5C33JDV1EF

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:21 pm • # 3 

It's quite pricey, but the best protection I've seen is the Lifeproof case (I have one on my issued iPhone). Way better than the Otterbox they used to give us. There are a few others that look good, but I have no experience with them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:03 pm • # 4 

Thanks for the replies. Hipshot, I've looked at the Lifeproof cases. Can you attach a lanyard to them? How is its functionality? I would like to install whatever I go with and just leave it. I want something that will work day to day not just fishing.

I currently have an Otterbox Defender and it wasn't that cheap either. If I could reliably attach a cord to that I think I would just stick with it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:03 pm • # 5 

SWCR,

Thanks for posting, I have retired the Otterbox,, much too bulky for comfortable shirt pocket carry on the river.

I am presently using a ZipLoc bag which is not ideal but easily carried.

Regards,
FK

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:49 pm • # 6 

I had an Otterbox and like the others thought too bulky. I use a plastic case when I venture out in the boat or on the creek. I can use the phone while in the case but it is a chore.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:12 pm • # 7 

Schuey, been busy and haven't been on here in a while: I wasn't ignoring you. The Lifeproof case doesn't have an OEM lanyard attachment. With the plethora of miracle adhesives commercially available, I'm quite sure there is a handy solution to the lanyard dilemna, if you feel that a lanyard is the solution. For me, I wear the Magellan buttoned fishing shirts. The starboard breast pocket is zippered (under the velcro-secured flap) and my iPhone in the Lifeproof case fits into it with room to spare. It's easily available and secure. I'm just not a fashion plate in it; the "in" thing now -- at least on the Texas coast -- is the pullover fishing shirts (they show off my 'tequila gut' and by flabby triceps). If you don't have Academy outlets in your neck of the woods, Magellan is the Academy store brand Columbia knockoff. Quite satisfied with them myself, but I understand that they may not be everyone's cup of tea. The shirts can be ordered online from Academy's website if you want to try it my way. Otherwise, carrying a small bag (off your shoulder or belt) for the phone may work out better for you. Either way, good luck!! And don't wait until everyone has been blowing up your phone all day with frivolous calls or drivel text messages to decide to chuck it as far (and deep) as you can.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:21 am • # 8 

I have the Lifeproof Fre for my iPhone and I really like it. It actually paid itself off the first day I had it when I accidentally took a swim in the river! I like that it is not too bulky. The only thing I don't really like is the way the headphone jack works but I can live with that if it means my phone is protected when it (or I) decides to go for an unexpected swim.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:05 am • # 9 
Administrator

I can't tell you enough how important a waterpoof case is, I dropped a brand new iPhone 5s in the creek once and it was ruined. Take a look on eBay and amazon for waterproof cases and be sure to read reviews before you buy. That said I don't have a waterproof case for my new iPhone 7s, but with my track record I should.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:47 pm • # 10 

iPhone 7 and up are dunk proof. Drop in toilet, pool, or stream and they're fine if you fish the out within a few minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:03 pm • # 11 

You shouldn't have any problems with water damage with the S5 in any water that is wadeable. I used one for a long time before upgrading to an S7, and both those phones have gone to the bottom of the river a couple of times.

I used two different Otterbox cases and one other big, bulky waterproof case (I forget which) for a while, but lately have just gone to a Spigen impact shell (has a slightly raised rim around the front to protect the glass) and it has been terrific. $7 or something like that on Amazon.

One thing you get with the Galaxy is an amazingly competent camera. And a micro-SD slot, if I recall correctly. For $30 you can add 64GB of memory.

Check out the Snapseed photo app in the Play Store. Super and simple little photo editing program. I wish I had a desktop version.

As far as lanyards, lots of $10 options on Amazon. This one with a stick-on button (use any case you like) looks pretty good: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IUUBDN4/re ... B002Z7ELJM

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:17 am • # 12 
Administrator

My 5s was submerged for only 10 seconds in less than knee deep water and completely toast when retrieved. Yes, the 7's are supposed to be dunk resistant but I don't trust it. It's very disconcerting getting a $700 + phone wet, at least for me

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:11 am • # 13 

I feel ya, Jeremy. I dropped 3 iPhones overboard or in the bilge one summer. Switched to Samsung after I got off my tin can-and-a-string grounding!

Last edited by TXH2Oman on Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:45 pm • # 14 

I have had several "waterproof" phones fizzle on me when they got dunked. I don't trust the "waterproof" claims any more.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:19 pm • # 15 

Here's how to put a string/lanyard on a Lifeproof case for an iphone6

Image, Image, Image

I used a large needle to pull the nylon string through the small hole in the bottom of the case (I have no idea what the hole is for because I never use it). I tied a few knots in the string so it wouldn't pull back through the hole (you could even put a drop or two of superglue on it). Then I tied a large loop in the other end of the string so that I could put it on my wrist when I take pics while sitting in my float tube. That way if I happen to drop it it will still be attached to my wrist and I won't lose it in the water. If I happen to drop it in the water I'll be able to pull it up quickly so that no water will enter through the hole the string is going through, although the hole is so small I seriously doubt that more than a minute drop of water would get in. You could also use 30# mono or the type of string I used and attach a snap swivel on it and hook it onto a lanyard around your neck.

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ] New Topic Add Reply