It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 25 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Re: Because...
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:44 pm • # 21 

Cliff: I love your attitude toward fly fishing (well, fishing in general). I have passed on your writing about the inherent potential simplicity of fly fishing to more than a few friends. I believe your attitude and approach will bring more converts to fly fishing than any ramblings by a guru about the esoterica, complexity and virtually unachievable competency (allegedly) necessary to be a 'compleat angler'.
brent

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:01 pm • # 22 

Brent, to me fishing is a hobby, just that, a hobby, a way of relaxing and getting away from the pressures of everyday life. It is nothing I take too seriously because then I would get upset when I go out and get skunked (yeah, that happens sometimes). It is a way of getting outdoors, getting some exercise (you get that in a float tube) and having some fun. Whether I catch fish or not is immaterial, although I usually do, it is the experience that I'm after. At certain times of the year I go out to purposely fill my freezer with crappie and bream, and if I don't catch anything on a trip then I really get ticked!!! :lol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:15 am • # 23 

Yep. That's it. It reminds me of a phrase from Robert Traver's (1964) Testament of a Fisherman, in which he explains why he fishes:

"...And, finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant – and not nearly so much fun"
brent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:02 pm • # 24 

Cliff Hilbert wrote:
Brent, to me fishing is a hobby, just that, a hobby, a way of relaxing and getting away from the pressures of everyday life. It is nothing I take too seriously because then I would get upset when I go out and get skunked (yeah, that happens sometimes). It is a way of getting outdoors, getting some exercise (you get that in a float tube) and having some fun. Whether I catch fish or not is immaterial, although I usually do, it is the experience that I'm after. At certain times of the year I go out to purposely fill my freezer with crappie and bream, and if I don't catch anything on a trip then I really get ticked!!! :lol

I completely agree with you Cliff. Its just a hobby to be enjoyed, and to get into the depths where you find yourself second guessing yourself and staring into a fly box for what seems like an eternity, it takes all the fun out of it.

I say just go out and fish.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:21 am • # 25 

Before my knees went bad I used to love to go to Mountain Home, Ark and wade fish the White and Norfolk Rivers. Most of the time I caught fish, but there were days I couldn't buy a hit. My enjoyment came from being IN the water, just the fish, the moving water in the river, the beautiful scenery and most of the time just me out there. The peacefulness was worth every moment out there.

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 25 posts ] New Topic Add Reply