It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Non-fishing hobbies
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:53 pm • # 1 

This is one of the reasons I haven't been posting as much as I normally would this past Summer......(I also had computer problems)

It's a sweet Lynskey titanium road bike hand built in Chattanooga TN that I got this year, and have spent more than a few hours on.

What do you guys do when you aren't fishing???

David

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:02 pm • # 2 

Thats a beauty, David....How light is that....I tend to be one directional....was heavy into traditional archery/bowhunting...Now, I am concentrating on UL and fly fishing in general....I find it hard to afford or concentrate and learn more than 1 interest at a time...just me...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:04 am • # 3 

Just UNDER 17 pounds Rob. Not the lightest in the world.......but not too bad.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:56 am • # 4 

My "other" hobby is cooking.
What I am best known for is my peanut butter fudge, deep fried turkey (devised a dandy dry rub of my own), smoked beef brisket (10 hours of LOVE!), & my own beef jerky. I do most of the "from scratch" cooking around here & love developing new recipes or "tweaking" existing recipes.
As you can see, I ain't exactly talking health food. I just fix what TASTES good!
Mikey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:14 am • # 5 

Amazing, I suppose a carbon fiber bike could weigh less, but, for a bike made of titanium that is one extremely nice piece of equipment..

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:16 am • # 6 
Administrator

My hobbies are all outdoor types. I love camping, and being out in the woods. I used to be heavy into traditional archery (recurve and longbow, no compounds for me), but I haven't shot or hunted with a bow for probably 5 years now. I just lost interest in it.

I'm into firearms too although I haven't actually shot a firearm at all this year. The reason for that is that I can't shoot at home, and I have to drive all the way out to the club to shoot.
With 4 kids it's hard for me to get away by myself to shoot. I can't afford the high prices of ammo these days either, so that's a another reason. I have however been shooting airguns a lot over the past year since I can do this in the back yard, and pellets are cheap. Actually I think I like airgunning more than firearms these days. A good airgun is very accurate, more so than many firearms, and some make excellent small game guns.

As for hunting, I used to really be into it, but we have the 4 young boys, I just don't have the time, and since I haven't hunted seriously for so long I've lost interest in it. I do miss hunting grouse though at times, and I still would like to hunt woodcock, but that's for the future when I have the time to devote to such endeavors.

J.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:05 am • # 7 
Administrator

David, that bike's a beaut! Looks like a well thought out build. I used to be into MTB riding/racing when I lived in TX. I had a sweet little Merlin titanium MTB and an Ibis:

My other love now is guitar playing:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:25 am • # 8 

My other hobby is informal target shooting. I have 40 acres and shoot at the base of my tank, (Texas ranch pond). The tank has water again. First time in 2 years. Now that it's full I'll stock it with some bass and sunfish like it had before. I really missed fishing that tank.
I limit the guns to 22's. All my guns like the inexpensive Remington ammo, so when my son visits we usually shoot up half a brick or so. I find target shooting relaxes me almost as much as fishing. I'd love to have a bike, but with the no shoulder rural highways around here I'd end up as roadkill.

Roy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:28 am • # 9 

used to be chasin women, but after 5 wives i gave it up.lol.... engaged again . now i'm into raisin chickens for tying and eggs. have 38 right now. plus a garden for cannin and freezin. gettin back to my roots (farming) ImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:58 pm • # 10 

Up ultil 7-8 years ago, I was bigger into hunting than I was into fishing. I mostly hunted birds, waterfowl and upland. I buried my last Shorthair back in 98 so I lost the drive for upland birds. I stayed on hunting waterfowl (w/o dog) until about 2001. I sold all my decoys (over 10 dozen goose (snow and canada) and about 15 dozen duck decoys) and I sold my two waterfowl guns that I was using at the time, a Remington 3 1/2" 870 Synthetic and a Beretta Pintail 3" Synthetic keeping only three old shot guns than have been in the family for decades.

I had slowly began to dislike killing things (though I do keep a fish here and there) starting back in 99. Other than some target practice, I shoot few guns. I done some varmint hunting but I've even reduced my shooting of varmints. I sold my 17 HMR, my Remington 223 my 220 swift and a 243. About the only hunting I might do is the occasional Forest Grouse hunt.

I've had a camera around my neck for more than 30 years. I still shoot some but my newest camera is a 1984 model F-1 Canon. I still shoot film...prefering Black and White to color. I like shooting old buildings such as below:

And I like some Landscapes done in BW such as this one shot in Glacier Park 2007:

Both shot with my Canon F-1 and a 28mm Canon FL lens with Kodak T Max 100 film.

Even my photography has taken a back seat to my fly fishing. I have a Point and Shoot Nikon digital and it gets the most use...while out fishing.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:34 pm • # 11 
Administrator

tying flies and well hunting... ducks this year.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:02 pm • # 12 

David Gale......awesome shots....Is that Glacier photo taken from the "Going to the Sun Highway?"

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:14 pm • # 13 

armyflyfisher wrote:
David Gale......awesome shots....Is that Glacier photo taken from the "Going to the Sun Highway?"
Yes, taken from the west side of the summit. BTW, the shot was taken in 2006, not 07. Thx for the kind words.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:08 am • # 14 

One of my "non-flyfishing" hobbies is conventional tackle fishing. It is difficult to give up "completely," something that has been a large part of one's life for 50 plus years. My top fish from 1988 and 1989, the last years I seriously bass fished.

The August 1988 fish is 11 pounds 8 ounces; the February 1889 fish is 13 pounds 12 ounces; both Georgia fish.

I have bowhunted big game since 1967 with traditional tackle and one of my hobbies is archery history. I've had articles published in Traditional Bowhunter, Primitive Archer and Bowyer's Journal. I have an article in the current Dec/Jan issue of Traditional Bowhunter. An Arkansas deer and South Carolina hog.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:05 pm • # 15 
Administrator

cool hobbies.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:08 pm • # 16 

Used to hunt traditional myself...both longbow and recurve....Nice pictures...nice hog....I harvested one in Lower WV one year...a highlight of my bowhunting...took 3 zwickley's to down that sucker....I only had one arrow left!!! Thanks for posting...brought back some great memories....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:04 pm • # 17 

Well just look at any of the gun threads here and you can guess one of my other activities. Let's see what else well I have a lot of different interests. I like dirt bikes, hiking, camping, surfing, flying (although I had to stop when the job thing happened back in March), aquariums (both fresh and salt), I am sure I have forgotten a few but that's what happens after a few glasses of chardonnay Image

Post subject: Re: Non-fishing hobbies
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:00 pm • # 18 

Before I got disabled I use to race karts (115mph@ Daytona, Mid-Ohio), had 11 of them over the years. Had 15 motorcycles through the years, also was into speaker building ( last pair was 8ft. Tall and had 16 drivers in each cabinet) and hi-fi, shot off high powered rockets, played trumpet for 50 years, ham radio, and finally SEX.

Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ] New Topic Add Reply