It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next   Page 1 of 3   [ 59 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: What do you do?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:55 pm • # 1 
Administrator

I'm curious to get to know y'all better and would like to know what others do/did for a living?
Me? I supervise the maintenance at a small graduate school.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:18 pm • # 2 
Administrator

I am promotional products salesman.

Les

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:04 pm • # 3 

After being laid off last year, I'm going back to college for degrees in anthropology and environmental studies. Very different now than it was all those years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:05 pm • # 4 

I am a Heavy Equipment Operator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:41 pm • # 5 

I'm a non-profit consultant (commercial real estate broker). I took advantage of the slow year to learn as much as I could about sustainable, high-performance development and green building science. Hopefully, my new skills will pay off when the market turns around--if not, I gave up most of a trout season for naught. In a prior life, 22 years as a naval officer (what else is an English major with minor math skills, major marksmanship skills, and gills and fins to do?).
-CC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:46 pm • # 6 

I'm a remodeling and painting contractor.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:39 pm • # 7 
Administrator

I'm currently a stay at home dad, and run this site. I haven't worked at all this year, haven't been able to find work. My background is in retail sales and management. It's time to find a different career.

J.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:07 pm • # 8 
Administrator

Software developer. Java, C#, .NET, Objective-C (iPhone), etc. I do a mix of full-time and contract work and, fortunately, I've been able to work from home for the past several years which helps to maximize fishing time! Things are slow at the moment though so I'm hunting for more contract work.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:37 pm • # 9 

I'm an Occupational Therapist in the US Army......a Major by way of rank.

CC - I was a US Navy Disbursing Officer in another life......after OCS in Newport (1985), and Supply Corps School in Athens GA I was on the USS Dale CG-19 in Mayport FL. I'm a Shellback.......but got out after my initial Commission in 1989.

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:03 pm • # 10 

Presently unemployed..AGAIN!!...57 years old and still not sure what I want to do when I grow up...Been a coal miner, steelworker, railroad worker, truck driver...trailer parker...overhead crane operator...boom crane operator...Maintenance man,(Industrial and apartment/housing)...fork lift operator, home inspector, appliance repair man, lathe operator, molder, and my last job was working with the elderly,(state cutbacks took that one)...and a couple other small stints with various jobs...so I guess I am a jack of all trades, master of none...but, I must admit...I would not change a thing...My working life has been a adventure at times....I have met a lot of good people and learned a lot....and Life is Good!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:23 am • # 11 

Been a police officer for the last 20 years.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:55 am • # 12 

graphic designer working from home office

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:09 pm • # 13 

I had to look up my job title - Senior Technologist.

I work in an engineering group in AMD (Advanced Micro Devices) that does performance and power characterizations of AMD's processors.

- Edward -

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:15 pm • # 14 

I'm a student currently enrolled at the Wharton School of Business at the University of Pennsylvania. I'm majoring in both real estate and retail.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:33 pm • # 15 

Office manager for a large Oil n Gas co

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:31 pm • # 16 

Insurance agent. Previously, and in order, worked in a milk processing plant, boiler tender USN, galvanizer, steel assembler, steel fabricator, machinist, made plastic bags and wrap, maintenance, direct sales, district manager of a mobile tool company, and retail furniture sales. Man, I'm tired.......Image

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:21 pm • # 17 
Global Moderator

As of Wednesday I am unemployed again. Which isn't a bad thing seeing as I have been **** sick from my disease. Being 21 years old I still have a lot of time infront of me to finally go to school. All my working life I have worked awful retail jobs mainly because it's all I know. But hopefully this winter/spring that will change when I plan to attend college. Hey Jerry, you need to develop some cool fly fishing iPhone apps.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:30 pm • # 18 

Gee, Chuck, I'd say you're about ready to take the final career leap--into real estate! You too can work long hours, holidays, and weekends, and not get paid for your time!

We had a former insurance agent in our commercial RE office (now with another firm). He often talked about how well he did in insurance and how shocked he was to learn that real estate was a hard way to make a living (part-time soccer moms and grandmothers notwithstanding). Hang in there--all those other careers make you better able to relate to your clients' needs--and anything's better than watching after an M or D type boiler, right? (destroyer M div O, first assignment after OCS, 1982)
-CC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:18 pm • # 19 

CC.......

I'm Navy OCS class of 1985 when it was still in Newport!

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:36 pm • # 20 

Nothing like wintering on the shores of Narragansett Bay, enjoying the comforts of King Hall and tactical maneuvering among the ice floes in the YP's! Almost three years of my life spent in Newport, and I still never understood the street "system," but the beer and chowder were amazing.
-CC

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next   Page 1 of 3   [ 59 posts ] New Topic Add Reply