It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 30 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:26 pm • # 21 

Brand new here, but chiming in here might help people understand me a bit better, so here goes:

Music: Though I could be a little more varied, I really do like alot...favorite bands/musicians include Beatles, Led Zeppelin, and Red Hot Chili Peppers...but I also like blues, jazz, alot of indie, punk, and even the less popular (among fishermen) genres like electronica, and rap, hip-hop, and R&B...alot of music is like modern art...weird as all get-out, but interesting when you get into it.  Lately, I've become a big fan of Lady Gaga.

Reading: I dont read as much as I'd like to, but when I get the chance, I do like reading some of the dryer stuff in the fly fishing area...staple works like Caddisflies and Hatches...when its not fishing related, its split, fairly evenly, between well known semi-classics like 1984, catch-22, brave new world...dystopian type stuff...and books on eastern religion & philosophy.  Just started Zen Mind, Beginners Mind.

Like most here, I'm politically apathetic.  There are so many sides and facets to every issue, without the corporate/political lie factories that to take a stand on any issue is to fail to consider some equally valid point in the argument.  I feel that the source of most of the dissatisfaction in and with America these days stems from the unfulfilled desire of so many people to change their conditions to better suit them, rather than finding peace in the reality they live in.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:17 am • # 22 

I feel that the source of most of the dissatisfaction in and with America these days stems from the unfulfilled desire of so many people to change their conditions to better suit them, rather than finding peace in the reality they live in.

Very well said and I completely agree..I have found sometimes the quest is not worth the rewards....Rob

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:35 pm • # 23 

Quote:
I have found sometimes the quest is not worth the rewards....Rob

Agreed. That is not to say that I think its wrong for people to work to better themselves...I think this is an essential part of a person's character...rather, its the stuff that they have no more control over than the rising and setting sun, that they let work them into a lather. I've seen people let their entire day get ruined by a bit of news about a government decision that hasn't even been made yet!

When congress starts losing sleep stressing about what I'm gonna have for lunch, maybe then I'll bother to find out what they're doing with all their tax money. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:53 pm • # 24 

As far as music goes, I like some of most everything (except rap & that head banging stuff). My favorite is '60s & early '70s rock...favorite artist is Clapton. I also like some country & some classical.
Mikey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:07 pm • # 25 

Oh what the heck I'll play.

Music: Depends on my mood, one day I will listen to classic rock (Stones, Led, Scorps, Eagles, etc., etc.). Some days I will listen to metal (S.O.D., Metallica black album and earlier, Mega Death, AC/DC, lots of 80's stuff, etc., etc.). I will even listen to hard core metal (Napalm Death, Bolt Thrower, Carcass, etc., etc.). Sometimes I listen to "80's" music, I have even been known to throw on some 80's rap when the wife/kids are not in the vehicle (2 Live Crew, Eazy-E, Ice-T, etc.). About the only music I do not care for is country unless you consider Johnny Cash country.

Books.....well personally I do not read novels etc. I do listen to talk raido some times but not too often.

Last edited by Sasha on Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:51 am • # 26 

Was a high, fast, loud trumpeter for most of my life so I like about anything that has a trumpet in it ( rock, jazz, classical ). I rarely listen to the radio as they are still playing the same hits from the 70's. I hate all fiction, so I only read science or technical oriented books(astronomy), rarely read a biography of Einstein ( read 4 so far). I can't stand to see any type of violence so TV is never watched.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:52 am • # 27 

Interesting post Hobie1dog resurfaced.
Most of the music I like is from my growing up era of the 50's and I like it all: jazz, blues, country, rock and roll and classical (especially Stravinsky). I think the 70's had the best rock and such country as Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson that started flourishing in the late 70's is outstanding.

My favourite author is Samuel Clemons (Mark Twain) and my favourite book is "Life on the Mississippi" by Clemons (a non-fiction account of the author's experiences as a Mississippi river boat pilot) .

Next up is Steinbeck.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:23 pm • # 28 

As I was starting college in 1965 I like a lot of the music of the 60"s and 70"s. Dylan is still one of my favorites. Also Mark Knopfler and Dire Straits. I didn't care much for country until Willie, Waylon, Kris, Merle, and Johnny gave me a new appreciation for it. Most of my reading is in the science fiction/fantasy genre. For some reason, though I didn't really enjoy my 4 years in the Marines all that much, my favorite sub-genre in science fiction is military. I have a small library of flyfishing literature, mostly John Gierach, Jim Babb, and Nick Lyons.

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:37 pm • # 29 

Ditto….I like the older country music, G Strait, Willie, Waylon, Merle, Travis Tritt… like songs/lyrics that have a story, meaning. Toby Keith, Alan Jackson are my all-time favorite, todays country music is more like pop music with very little feeling…. also was a 70’s kid (Golden age of R&R) Beatles, Stones, 3 Dog Night, etc.… also while living in Mississippi, got into Stevie Ray Vaughn, Clapton and Road House Blues… listen to several Audio books, over the years one of my favorite was “Gone with the Wind”, much better than the movie…am mostly a non-fictional book fan.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:37 am • # 30 

I grew up in Tripoli, Libya, so no TV or radio. That was a long time ago, but I never got the TV habit, and don't own one. I have a big screen that I'll watch the occasional movie, but even cancelled Netflix not long ago.

I used to listen (and play) music a lot, most of it Anglophile rock and roll, and was in a few punk bands back in the day. I have what I will say modestly is an encyclopedic memory of rock and roll facts. However, today, if my car radio is on it's to the local NPR station. At home, I will sometimes put on Pandora and listen to Chicago blues, classical, or even ambient/trance music. Mostly these days, it's silence

I just checked out my first book on CD for my weekly 2 1/2 hour commute. I've been forced to listen to bits and pieces of whatever my wife had on in her car, and this particular book I had tried a couple times to read but got lost or bored.

Now, books are another matter. I read voraciously, and have gone through 2-3 books a week since I was in 6th grade. I'm not much on the popular NY Times potboilers, but I have read most of the classics, love science fiction, history, biographies, and anything that is written more to express a feeling than to sell more books. I just finished a great novel, Driftless (about the area, but no fishing in it!), by David Rhodes, and am now reading a history, "The fall of the Ottomans: the Great War in the Middle East," by Eugene Rogan, a very well-written book.

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 30 posts ] New Topic Add Reply