It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 30 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:38 pm • # 1 

Just getting to know you guys a bit more. I DO NOT judge the person by his/her music/literature but it does paint a clearer photo of who I am chatting with. Please note! Nothing you say will change my mind about how I chat with you guys. I just think it is fun to dive deeper into the souls of my fellow man.

I love music though I don't find myself listening to it for hours on end. When I was trucking OTR, I listened to as many books as I did radio or CD.

Here me:

First, I want the world to know; I HATE Talk radio with a capitol 'H' I hate FOX NEWS, I hate CNN...I hate the news! I hate political chatter regardless which politics is getting chattered. And I hate politics! I am anti-political. I hate Liberal Radio and I hate Conservative Radio!!!!!!!!!!!....there! That's out of the way and I see no reason to bring it up again!

But I love listening to books. It doesn't happen much anymore but I either listen or read books with a passion when I have time. I love history and humor the best, then I like reading classics. I love browsing M. Twain, Thoreau. I'm a bit fan of historians like S. Ambrose, and I read enough fly fishing mags and spend enough time on forums to disgust my wife.

Now comes the big shock to those who think they know me.....I do like some classical music. My wife got me hooked on it when I was 'drying out' and quitting drinking. I still find myself listening to it.

I hate any country music newer than 1960...though I was born in 1965. And I have to be in a weird mood even then.

Then I jump into another extreme.....I am a head banger. I never grew up. I love Hard Rock. I love old rock. I love new rock. I love Hendrix one day, the Doors the next, Metallica the next, Black Sabbath the next, Deep Purple, AC/DC...on and on. I know my hair is Grey but I love Hard Rock. I doubt I will ever grow up. My kids are 11 and 12. The are constantly telling ME! to turn that noise down! lol

Anyway. Participate in this thread if you wish. IF not, who cares.

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:39 am • # 2 

I also listened to books while I was on the road...mostly crime drama and some Stephan King books...I read all sorts of books all the time..at least 1 a week...the local library knows me by my first name...I also enjoy history, especially war history...As for music...hardly ever listen to it...but oldies are my favorites...I also enjoy old movies, which I rent on dvd...I do not have television...I hardly watched it when I did have it, but, cable money is better spent on fishing equipment...and of course, I have the internet, which I constantly find something to dig into...I enjoy learning new stuff and I am always on the lookout for fly fishing information...One reason I enjoy it so much is that there is a lot to learn.....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:33 am • # 3 
Administrator

Books on tape-history is at the top of my list and anything else my wifewants to listen to on a long trip. Lately I haven't been listening although I do drive a lot.
I listen to some talk radio, but I listen to NPR as well as Fox - I want to hear both sides. Good stories outside of politics can be found at both places. In the evening I'll lisen to the Blues on a local public radio station. Love classic rock - I was born in 1960 . Not much on Country. I gravitate towards some Christian music stations as well.
Like my taste in UL to heavy fly rods, I'm all over the map on my listening behavior.

Les

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:11 am • # 4 
Administrator

I guess I'll play. I don't care much for books on CD. My wife is obsessed with books on CD though and listens to them in her van. I will say however that when she was listening to the Harry Potter series, I didn't mind that so much since I really liked the movies, but I never read the books (she has all those too).

I used to be a voracious reader, but since Al Gore invented the internet, I don't read books as much as I once did, nor do I have as much free time to do so with four young boys. Most of my reading anymore, when I can fit it in, is fly fishing related. I do however like High Fantasy novels like The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, and anything by Dennis L. McKiernan. McKiernan originally wrote a novel that was a continuation of the Lord of the Rings, but when the idea was pitched to the Tolken heirs, they rejected the idea. Dennis then changed the story up a bit to make a different fantasy world, and then went on to publish a long series of novels based on this new fantasy world.

I also have a small collection of firearms and archery/hunting books, but I've veered away from this stuff over the last few years. I don't hunt or shoot bows anymore, nor have I shot any firearms over the past year. I do however still shoot airguns.

As for music, growing up in the 80's with all the hair/metal bands on every radio station has made me predominately a metal head. These days I like metal bands that you won't hear on the radio. I'd say that some of the new hybrid types of metal are what appeal to me now, progressive metal, and the melodic/neo-classical/power metal, Gothic/Symphonic metal. The bands that I like are from Europe, and most of my favorites are from Finland, Sweden, and Norway. Nightwish, Sirenia, and Scar Symmetry are a few of these bands.

I only listen to radio while I'm driving, and then it's usually the local NRP station so that I can listen to Classical music, which I really like. Like David, I no longer care for talk radio, nor political talk. I've become non-political recently, and believe that politics, and especially politicians, can't solve any of the social, and economic problems we face today. I also like Blues, and I'm a big B.B. King fan. I like some pop music, but not much of it. I don't like country, and hate rap, and R&B with a passion. I do tend to like the soothing sound of New Age/ambient music as well. As far as oldies go, I don't care for anything from the 60's or 70's, but I do like some of the 50's stuff like Chuck Berry.

J.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:32 am • # 5 

I quit watching news or politics; no truth; only spins by the middle and both sides; its all a dog and pony show but without the ice cream later. I listen to rock music from the 50's,60's; Beatle music;Buck Owens,Eddie Arnold, Willie Nelson, etc.; I like Old School music; Dean Martin; some blues when I'm in the mood; The Coasters, Ray Charles, clarinet solo's, Bach, Wagner, etc. Big Bands, Lawrence Welk(yeah, I know) I'm fiscally conservative, socially liberal, anti Imperialistic; I hate people that hates people(huh?)I think meekness is a sign of strength. Walk softly but have a big stick in your back pocket just in case. Leave people alone thats not huring you. I also realize that I'm an idiot; the older i get the more I realize how dumb I am-p-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:02 am • # 6 
Administrator

pearow wrote:
I quit watching news or politics; no truth; only spins by the middle and both sides; its all a dog and pony show but without the ice cream later. I listen to rock music from the 50's,60's; Beatle music;Buck Owens,Eddie Arnold, Willie Nelson, etc.; I like Old School music; Dean Martin; some blues when I'm in the mood; The Coasters, Ray Charles, clarinet solo's, Bach, Wagner, etc. Big Bands, Lawrence Welk(yeah, I know) I'm fiscally conservative, socially liberal, anti Imperialistic; I hate people that hates people(huh?)I think meekness is a sign of strength. Walk softly but have a big stick in your back pocket just in case. Leave people alone thats not huring you. I also realize that I'm an idiot; the older i get the more I realize how dumb I am-p-
Gene,
It's time to write that book LIFE- for dummies. You know, the orange one with all the B&W illustrations. Image
I'd buy one...

Les

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:23 am • # 7 

I am with you Gene.....no news is good news...People ask me.."did you hear about" or "what do you think about..."...My answer..do not watch television...do not read newspaper...Do not know and do not care....I like my life simple...and intend to spend the rest of it just that way....Let the World take care of itself....God will take care of me and my family....Selfish..maybe so...But that is the way it is and is going to remain...nuff said.....Rob

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:44 am • # 8 

Ha! I've been thinking of branching out from rodbuilding and fly tying; maybe "PEAROW SEZ........"HA! I told everyone when I retired I was gonna write a book. Everyone asked what it was gonna be about and I told them I didn't know exactly what it was gonna be about, but I already knew the title, 'FISH DON'T TALK'-p-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:51 am • # 9 
Administrator

Or another title: What happens in Caddo stays in Caddo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:43 pm • # 10 
Administrator

I like classical, jazz, alternative, classic rock, and a touch of just about everything else.

My daughter works at a used book store and can "check out" most of the books in the store. I typically read several books a week of many different genres. Some of my favorite authors are John LeCarre (his older stuff), Patrick O'Brian, Phillip K Dick, John Gierach, Thomas McGuane, blah blah blah.

And, like several others have already voiced, I hate talk radio and pretty much all cable and network news. Life is stressful enough without purposely loading yourself up with it by listening to that crap.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:41 pm • # 11 

Jkurtz....you and I are a lot alike.......at least as far as music goes!

David

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:19 pm • # 12 
Administrator

armyflyfisher wrote:
Jkurtz....you and I are a lot alike.......at least as far as music goes!

David
I didn't really expect anyone else here to have the same taste in music as I do.

J.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:13 pm • # 13 

The Who, Rolling Stones, and blues guitar. Military history, I have the Oxford book of military anecdotes as a car book and am currently reading about the Battle of Waterloo having finished the Light Brigade at Balaclava. Little DVD player on my workbench is my companion, sci-fi, action, and westerns. I enjoy politics (reminds me of military campaigns badly fought) but consider myself smarter than the talking heads and am more often right. A classical liberal, meaning today's conservative. Oddly, neither party has hired me as a consultant. Classical composers between 1890 and 1930, particular Vaughan Williams, Delius, Mahler, and Elgar. Flyfishing everything. Don

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:03 pm • # 14 
Administrator

Great thread!
Musically, I prefer when I can hear all the instruments and discern what they are trying to do - which ends up being Old Time: Norman Blake, Gillian Welch, Old Crow Medicine Show (not bluegrass), Folk/Blues: Brooks Williams, electric blues: Tab Benoit & SRV, old Country: like Willie Nelson.
I have been all over the map in what I read. I especially enjoy Sherlock Holmes & Francis Schaeffer (relevant theology) but haven't read much since discovering the interwebs and forums that provide so much terrific information and entertainment. I always enjoy hobby related books: fly fishing (especially warm water) and guitar playing as well as biographies.
I too shy away from talk radio, politics, lies - too depressing and I don't like all the conflict I guess. I don't watch TV. I'd rather do the above.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:12 pm • # 15 

It's been too cold to play outside, so I started digging through my library . I  found Tom Wendelburg's book "Catching Big Fish " on light fly tackle. One of his favorite rods mentioned is his cane 5 footer a 2wt , and one of my favorite rods the Orvis 7ft 9in 2wt. This book makes a good dead of winter read with all the sunny pictures of Wisconsin spring creeks .

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:51 am • # 16 

Music: I'm still stuck on Classic Rock. I've played a Strat when I was younger, but even today I still pick up a acoustic every so often...... when I'm not tying flies! Led Zep, Dylan, Lennon, Stones, Pink Floyd, and Hendrix. And I'm still a Beatle fan! I just saw "Rain - Tribute to the Beatles" a couple weeks ago. It took me back in time! It was like a time machine for me!
Books: Fly fishing, that's about it!
TV: No more political crap for this guy. I purchased a Big Screen Vizio when the last pres election started. I would watch everything. MSNBC with Hardball, Keith, and Rachael with the left spin. I would also watch Fox with Hannity and the Spin Zone with all the right wing spin. I would check out the Independent views on the internet. Everybody spins everything for their self promotion. I used to get so upset when they would look at me and lie about everything. Now I only watch NatGeo or I watch a DVD about fishing. I wish that some of you guys would make some vids of UL fly fishing....... I would buy them!
I like surfing the web with Classical Rock MP3's playing with my tying vise and a glass of fine wine on my desk.
Radio: Only music in my car radio. I've had my fill of the drugsters lies on AM!  Rush, Hannity, and Savage make me never hit the AM button again for the rest of my life!! Also, I must say that I HATE rap music with a passion. If it ever comes on, I have to quickly cover my ears and try not to throw up!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:02 pm • # 17 

1wt wrote:
rap music
That's an oxymoron!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:34 am • # 18 
Administrator

oldduckhunter wrote:
1wt wrote:
rap music
That's an oxymoron!
I totally agree.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:43 am • # 19 

Rap music sounds like a milking cow in pain to me....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:28 pm • # 20 

This is an interesting thread--I think of my tastes as ecletic but I don't seem to be too far out in the weeds.

I love classical music, more specifically Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven and Schubert generally played on period instruments or modern replicas.  I was nearly a music major in college (sax) but chickened out because I wasn't sure I could make a living.  If someone would have had the courtesy to tell me at the time how open-minded female music majors were, I probably would have stuck with it. 

I'm also a big fan of blues, particularly Buddy Guy, Junior Wells, Albert Collins and early B.B. King.  I occasionally listen to older country music, which was what I heard growing up.  

I don't read fiction.  I read to learn, so it's all pretty much biographies and history.  I love history of the American West and Idaho political history.

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 30 posts ] New Topic Add Reply