It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3   Page 3 of 3   [ 58 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Pipe smoking
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:10 pm • # 41 
Administrator

dadeedo,
Welcome to UL flyfishers. Tell us alittle about yourself...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:32 am • # 42 
Administrator

Hey Darrell, it's good to see you over here! (he's a friend from a guitar forum)
I've not read the Compleat Angler but it's on my list.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:30 pm • # 43 

Oh no.... You guys are guitar people, too? I have two Guilds (a six and a 12), a really cool 12 fret parlor guitar, an old beater Yamaha that sounds way more expensive than it is.... and one that I started building when I was in grad school that needs to be fretted and have the bridge installed so I can string it up...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:17 pm • # 44 
Administrator

Wow, it seems everyone got more in common than just fishing!
Those older Yamahas are great little boxes. I'm always on the lookout for one that needs a home for cheap. I've always wanted to get into building but I feel I've got more DIY going on than I can handle so I'm holding off for now!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:06 am • # 45 

Unable to play anymore, but have a Alvarez Regent that I miss playing....a sweet mellow instrument...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:38 am • # 46 
Administrator

Don't laugh, but I have a Oscar Schmidt acoustic. Yes it's a cheap junker but that's all I could afford back in my early 20's. I've always been more of an electric player.
I have a Fender Squire Stagemaster strat that is a hot rodded version of the strat. Has a Flod Rose trem, Humbuckers on the brigde and neck, and a single coil in the mid. The headstock is a reversed strat for that Jimi Hendrix look. Great guitar for a low price, and stays in tune much better than an Ibanez Joe Satriani model I used to mess with which cost much more.

I put a DiMarzio XN2 bridge pickup in it, since I was always a metal player. I don't play the Squire anymore though since I don't have a working amp, but I pull the acoustic out now and then. I'd like to get a Classical guitar sometime, I really like the way they sound.

J.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:40 am • # 47 
Administrator

Sounds pretty cool! Maybe if we can get a UL get together up some day we can have a talent show to go along with it!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:11 pm • # 48 

I found this site when through flyfishohio.com and just got my first ultralight outfit last week, a 7'6" 3 wt. I figured the pipe smoking topic was as good as any to make a first post. I smoke a pipe, though not as often as I used to. Probably not more than once a week now. Mostly I smoke English blends like Frog Morton and Commonwealth. But I also love the taste and aroma of Prince Albert (only from the tub). I especially like PA while fishing.

I am spending all day this Saturday breaking in the new 3 wt on the Verde River and will take along a pipe or two.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:23 pm • # 49 
Administrator

verdetrout wrote:
I found this site when through flyfishohio.com and just got my first ultralight outfit last week, a 7'6" 3 wt. I figured the pipe smoking topic was as good as any to make a first post. I smoke a pipe, though not as often as I used to. Probably not more than once a week now. Mostly I smoke English blends like Frog Morton and Commonwealth. But I also love the taste and aroma of Prince Albert (only from the tub). I especially like PA while fishing.

I am spending all day this Saturday breaking in the new 3 wt on the Verde River and will take along a pipe or two.
Welcome to the UL Forums, and thanks for reading Fly Fishing Ohio.

J.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:40 am • # 50 

J: Since you like English blends, you might want to try The Churchwarden blend from Watch City Cigar (you can order it online). I personally invented the blend for Watch City in response to a request for a smooth smoking, but heavy-bodied, English tobacco. I don't get get a dime for pushing this blend, so don't think I recommending it for any other reason than this: It's just a really good smoke, loaded with latakia, but balanced out with cigar leaf. Another excellent blend for fly fishing is Mississippi Mud by Cornell & Diehl. I have a decided preference for English or English style blends myself. Anything with latakia gets my attention.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:13 pm • # 51 

Just stumbled onto this thread. I am a Latakia junkie! Dunhill 965 is may fav. I prefer my Bent Bulldog/Rhodesian shapes. I haven't tried smoking and fly fishing yet, I am not that coodinated yet!
With the way prices started to shoot up on tinned tobacco I started growing some Virginia and Burley tobacco plants in the garden. Florida has a good season for growing these plants. I experimented with some flavorings added to the Burley and made an Orange Latakia blend that turned out pretty good. I grew a few Samsun plants and took the leaves and smoked them in the BBQ pit for over 20 hours to get the smoke flavor added. It was way too much work and not true Latakia, I would have to smoked it for about 4 days to get the right flavor. So now I just buy bulk blending Latakia and add it to my homegrown!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:10 pm • # 52 
Administrator

welcome geentrout!

les

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:10 pm • # 53 

here's ole pearow with a caddo yellow bass and his pipe:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:00 pm • # 54 

Guys, thanks for the hospitality.  I'm a sad case.  Never learned to fish!  But about 25 years ago I chanced upon Walton's remarkable book and decided I wanted in.  Still haven't done anything about it, though.  My current hobbies are guitar and banjo.  That's how I know Chris.  Usually I see him on the UMGF.  But a propitiously errant stroke on my keyboard while scanning Yuku posts brought me to this thread, to which I couldn't help reply.   If anyone spends some quality time with Walton's book, it'll be worth the intrusion.

Darrell

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:51 pm • # 55 

Just decided to give smoking a pipe a try recently, due, in part, to a good friend, and I've gotta say, I can't envision myself doing this while actually fishing! That said, I'll certainly be bringing it along for a smoke break while fishing. There's something very relaxing about the whole process. :) Can anyone reccomend a good, commonly available tobacco with a heavy spicy-sweet flavor? I don't mind if its a BIT expensive, since I don't smoke that often, but I dont want to be paying $30/oz. either! :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:12 pm • # 56 

I smoke the very expensive Prince Albert; it went from $12 for a 14 ounce can to $45 for the same; Texas is serious about taxing the smokers, but the emergency rooms are filled nightly with people because of alcohol; I just don't get it?????????You can buy 3 cases of cheap beer for what a can of PA costs!!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:04 am • # 57 
Administrator

Wow, Gene it's hard to believe that PA went up so much!

Post subject: Re: Pipe smoking
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:52 pm • # 58 

Started back in 1975, took 30 years off, now into it heavily, smoke only English/ heavy Lata Kia blends. I go to two different pipe club meets each month.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3   Page 3 of 3   [ 58 posts ] New Topic Add Reply