It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next   Page 1 of 3   [ 58 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Pipe smoking
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:13 am • # 1 
Administrator

Hello everyone,
I know it's a bit cliche to smoke a pipe while fly fishing but I do it anyway - I just don't wear much tweed, at least that's visible Image!
Anyone else? If so, what sorts of tobacco do you enjoy and in what kind of pipe?

Me? I have an affinity for sweet and spicy flake tobaccos (slow burning and smooooooth) in a small rusticated (rough finish) pipe that is light weight and bent.

It has taken a little practice to fish and smoke at the same time but that's part of the enjoyment - combining two things I enjoy at the same time.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:39 am • # 2 
Administrator

I dabbled in pipe smoking for awhile. I usually ended up smoking burly tobaccos like Sir Walter Raleigh, and Prince Albert since they are cheap. I really liked a good Cavendish better though. I never had a nice pipe, just a cheap Dr. Grabow. I can't say that I was ever really serious about pipe smoking. I have acid reflux, and pipe smoking would just aggravate it so I quite doing it.

J.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:20 pm • # 3 

I've done some pipe smoking. I prefer cigars though. Just like my cigar smoking (I do have a few favorite cigars, but still try new ones every time I buy smokes), I rarely bought the same thing twice. I'm not big on the sweet, flavored tobaccos. I have a couple of really nice pipes sitting on my desk right now--a peterson (average bowl, with an "s" curve stem--probably has an official term) and a Nording (I think that's how its spelled) that was "rough" cut and nude. After smoking it, It turned a nice color. I never got the burn temps right. Seemed to be too much work, so I went back to cigars.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:46 pm • # 4 
Administrator

I've got cigars and a few pipes -really slowed down on both. Never really smoked a pipe as often as cigars.
My favorites cigars were Dunhill jades, but these are getting harder to find as production went more towards brown wrappers.

Les

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:23 pm • # 5 

I finally kicked the cigerettes after 30 -40 years as a pack a day man; yes I'm probably a dead man walking; smoke a pipe now; Prince Albert man; smells like a wet dog turdle; but i'm not inhaling like before with the cigs; I'm not distinguished looking with a pipe; maybe i can give it up; baby steps!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:54 pm • # 6 

I'm a heavy cigar smoker . I don't inhale but I smoke one to 3 a day . My regular cigar is the 7& 5/8 in. Riata, a rich almost oily hand rolled cigar . I cut them in half for a short smoke . For a laid back smoke I'll kick back with a Punch Grand Puro ( another rich honduran). If I have a few bucks in my pocket I'll go for an Artuo Fuente Gran Reserve Robusto or a Fuente Opus X $$$ . All in 50 to 54 ring (or gauge ) .

Last edited by Flickfly on Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:09 pm • # 7 

Not familiar with the riata. I like a full-bodied maduro. Cao, perdomo, dark knights. I've never turned down a smoke.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:35 am • # 8 

I fished this weekend in the rain,wind, and cold; lost my good Peterson pipe somewhere. Peterson's are absolutely the finest pipes made. I hope no one finds it before I get back to caddo-p-

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:33 am • # 9 

I was smoking cigarette tobacco in a pipe on stream for a while; my intention was to eliminate having to keep the butts in a pocket or my vest. It didn't last long, though. Pipes and cig. tobacco don't mix too well; the cig. tobacco burns too fast for pipe use, but I do enjoy smoking a pipe occasionally. My real problem with pipes and cigars is that, as a cig. smoker, I tend to inhale them, too.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:01 am • # 10 
Administrator

I've got a couple of Pete's and they are my favorite fishing pipes by far. I like the system pipes with the military style bit - it takes a bit of the worry out of fishing with something hanging out of my mouth. I think there are some better pipes out there but really, as far as pipes go I've got some fantastic store brand pipes that cost me $25 that probably smoke as well as a Dunhill or a one-off custom Danish Freehand. Like in fly fishing, just having the stuff is part of the fun.
I hope you find your pipe Gene! It's a bummer when you lose a friend!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:57 am • # 11 

reason I smoke Prince Albert is I can't inhale it; the milder tobbaccos I inhale; PA makes me dizzy when I inhale; course I'm pretty dizzy normally anyway!!!!HA!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:20 am • # 12 
Administrator

I might have to give PA a try! I usually don't have a problem with inhaling since I don't have a history of cig. smoking.
It seems to me that cigars are a more practical choice for fishing but I just couldn't get into them. I felt like I needed to shave my mouth after a cigar. But for some reason pipes are different.
I really like Virginia/Perique/Latakia blends and flakes. It gets a little expensive smoking the nice stuff but I figure it's worth it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:44 am • # 13 

Unfortunately for me, I was born with the nicotine demon in my brain. I'll take it any way I can get it. Started dipping Copenhagen when I was 14. It's funny, but I started smoking a pipe in high school (early 80's) which was not much in vogue in West Texas.... I've traded them all in for nicotine gum now--been chewing it for five years. My doctor says it won't kill me like the good Lord's tobacco. As for my favorites: Davidoff cigarettes, Copenhagen Pouches for smokeless, Taylor's pride for chewing tobacco, and a nice Punch Maduro. Out of all the smoking habits, the pipe is my favorite. I prefer tobaccos with a heavy Latakia blend. It's a bit odd for most folks, but I got turned on to it by a German uncle. I still have quite a collection of pipes, including a couple Petersens, and a Dunhill. Like everything else in my life, I have to try to build one better than the masters, and my favorite pipes are the ones I carved myself.... I'll add a couple pics after work. --Jay

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:14 am • # 14 

I quit cigarettes for about a year back in the early 70's. I was on a health kick and was running 2 or 3 miles daily, which was a lot for a lifetime fat boy. Anyway, I was dipping copenhagen. I think copenhagen is the most addictive tobbacco I have ever encountered. I like to have never got off that stuff. I was so bad when I got out of bed I put a dip in my mouth. My wife made me quit; she said I could smoke whatever, just as long as i didn't have my lower lip looking like a kangaroo sack!!!!!!
I would enjoy seeing/hearing more about homemade pipes-p-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:29 pm • # 15 
Administrator

Jay, I'd love to see your handmade pipes! I've thought about doing that but haven't pursued it yet.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:53 am • # 16 

Oh, it's a blast... Here's my favorite. I carved it almost 18 years ago, and haven't smoked it in several years. It's too heavy for outdoor or mobile use, but when I was in grad school it stayed lit quite a bit during study sessions.....

Merry Christmas!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:59 am • # 17 
Administrator

Very nice Jay! Did you carve it from one of the predrilled block/stems that you can buy from a tobacconist?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:57 pm • # 18 

Man, that's really cool.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:44 pm • # 19 

Nice craftsmanship Jay!

My Grandpa smoked a pipe and I loved to walk behind him in the fields looking for quail smelling the smoke drift over his shoulder......and then back in my Grandma's kitchen she would be cleaning the birds and Grandpa would be oiling his old side-by-side 12 guage smoking that pipe. Today the smell of penetrating oil and pipe smoke bring back a flood of memories.

I never got hooked by the nicotine habit.....and now searing my lungs on my bicycle and smoking don't exactly mix.

David

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:16 pm • # 20 

Chris,
Yep, I did it from one of the pre-drilled ones. You still get to shape it however you want it. The possibilites are endless....

David,
Sounds like you and I have quite a bit in common. My collection of vintage double barrels far outnumbers my fly rods--if I'm not fishing, I'm chasing my German Shorthair. As for bicycles, I raced those crazy things on the road for years (strictly a no-smoking period of my life) I still find the time to get out and turn the pedals occasionally. I'm waiting for my daughter to get big enough to get on the back of the tandem my wife and I used to race....

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next   Page 1 of 3   [ 58 posts ] New Topic Add Reply