It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   Page 2 of 3   [ 58 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Pipe smoking
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:14 pm • # 21 

Cool Jay.....I'm planning on getting back into racing this Spring with some Masters class USCF road racing on my Lynskey - strictly Category 5 till I get some speed in my legs....(raced both on the road with a USCF license and some NORBA mtn bike events back in the day in the San Antonio area). My wife and I have a daVinci offroad tandem with independant coasting that is wicked fun on singletrack trails. I'll have to post a pic of it.

Unfortunately that side-by-side I fondly remember kicking the crap out of my Grandpa's shoulder was passed to his son and now rests in the hands of one of my cousins.

(Sorry to steal the thread.)

Last edited by armyflyfisher on Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:29 pm • # 22 

Nice piece of road equipment there!!! I last raced as a Cat 2 on the road, but would be sucking serious wind in any class now! When did you last race in S.A.? I wonder if we ever passed each other at a race..... ???

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:55 pm • # 23 

I was heavily involved in the bike 'scene" in San Antonio during the mid '80's.......then after I returned to San Antonio in 1990 after a stint in the Navy I worked at B&J bicycle shop from like 1990-1994.....This new titanium Lynskey is the bomb - Makes my old Campagnolo equipped Cannondale feel old and slow.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:22 am • # 24 

somewhere, there is a picture of me riding a bike with a cigar hanging out of my mouth.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:52 pm • # 25 

Continuing the pipe smoking theme: Try Evening Rise by Cornell & Diehl and The Churchwarden by Watch City Cigar. Both were developed with fly fishermen in mind. I pitched both the idea and name for Evening Rise to Greg Tarler, owner of C&D, a few years ago. I called C&D, spoke with Mr. Tarler and told him that fly fishermen would appreciate a non-aromatic, cool burning tobacco for their days on the water. He came up with the formula, I test smoked it, and the rest is nicotine history. As for The Churchwarden, that formula is entirely my creation put into production by Ernie Q of Watch City Cigar. Ernie is a fly fisherman who asked me to come up with a heavy-bodied English blend, which I did--with a twist. It contains a fair amount of cigar leaf. The final result proved to be an extremely smooth best seller for Watch City Cigar. For the record, I don't get a dime from either C&D or Watch City. I don't even get free tobacco, so I'm definitely not recommending either tobacco for the sake of personal profit. They both just really good blends that burn nicely while fishing, and I think anyone who prefers non-aromatics will really enjoy them

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:05 pm • # 26 
Administrator

Churchwarden: Thanks for the tips! I've seen the C&D but haven't tried it - is it a rough/flake cut by any chance? I'll also look into the blend at Watch City.
Welcome to the forum!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:12 pm • # 27 
Administrator

Churchwarden, welcome to the board. That blend sounds very nice. Too bad I can't smoke a pipe anymore otherwise I'd be very interested in trying it.

I also like your user name. The Churchwarden style pipes are pretty neat, and I did at one time consider buying one of the Savinelli churchwardens.

J.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:43 pm • # 28 

Gentlemen: Evening Rise is a tinned rough cut and The Churchwarden is a tinned crumble cake. Also, being a pipe smoking Presbyterian myself, I recommend Presbyterian blend for those book-in-an-armchair contemplative times when all you can do is read about fishing instead of going fishing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:26 pm • # 29 
Administrator

Churchwarden: thanks for the info on the cuts of those tobaccos. Thanks also for the suggestion of the Presbyterian Mixture. It's one I've wanted to try for a while partly because I've been told I'd like it and partly because I, too, am Presbyterian. I'll try to find some over the holidays.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:33 am • # 30 

jkurtz7 wrote:
The Churchwarden style pipes are pretty neat, and I did at one time consider buying one of the Savinelli churchwardens.

J.

Ha ha! Kinda like this one?? The stem used to have a beautiful graceful curve until the house I was living in burned down in 1995, straightening out the stems on most of my pipes.Image

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:12 am • # 31 
Administrator

Yes Jay, like that one. I like that long curved stem. I also wanted one of the those long pipes that were patterned after the ones in the Lord of the Rings films.

J.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:43 am • # 32 

Chris: Pipe and cigar smoking are the 6th and 7th points of Calvinism, are they not? The essence of being Reformed, theologically, is to smoke to the glory of God (in moderation, of course). By the way, I consider fly fishing nothing less than obedience to the Scriptures--given the Dominion Mandate of Genesis 1:28-30. Thus, when I go fishing I'm not wasting time that could be better spent on other things. No, not at all; rather, I'm obeying the Lord!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:47 pm • # 33 

jkurtz7 wrote:
Yes Jay, like that one. I like that long curved stem. I also wanted one of the those long pipes that were patterned after the ones in the Lord of the Rings films.

J.

I had one of those once, too. They're known as "Tavern Pipes" and are made of clay. Being a huge fan of LOTR, I had to have one when I first saw one in an illustration 25 years ago. I didn't really care too much for the way it smoked--it was very fragile, too. I broke the stem more than once.....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:14 pm • # 34 

Having a degree in theology, I can attest to the 6th and 7th tenants of Calvinism is cigars and pipes. They are oft forgotten because they don't fit nicely into the tulip acronym. Preach it churchwarden!

In the rotunda at southwestern theological seminary, the painting of past president, Scarborough (I think that's right), was "edited" to rid him of his favorite cigar.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:46 am • # 35 

Sean: A degree in theology? Are you a pastor, or involved in some other form of ministry? I'm the fishing, hunting, motorcycle riding, ruling elder at a PCA church in Enfield, Connecticut, although I actually live in Springfield, Massachusetts. My first pipe was given to me by a sovereign grace Baptist named Don Fortner (who is all over the internet now, and writes for EP Press) in 1979 when I was a Bible college student at Appalachian Bible College in Bradley, West Virginia. My enjoyment of pipes and my love of Reformed theology put me out of favor with the fundamentalist/dispensational powers-that-be and I ultimately left the school before I got bounced out. Fortunately the PCA has no issue with pipes, cigars, good single-malt, or troubling trout with a fly rod, so I enjoy them all without ecclesiastical harassment. Unfortunately (or fortunately) my wife rather indulges my interests, which means my house looks like crap, but I own a more than a few pipes and fly rods. Money that should have been spent on more important things was recently blown on a 7'9" bamboo fly rod, now being built by a rod building friend of mine. What puts me squarely in the UL fly fishing range is a 7'9" 2/3 weight cane stick built on a Sharpes blank and a 6-piece. 3-weight glass rod built on a Lamiglas blank. I thoroughly enjoy catching trout on these rods and fish them on small streams whenever I get the opportunity. Usually I'm smoking a pipe or a cigar while doing so. I wade one stream in Hampden, Massachusetts that makes a trout-occupied corner hole in somebody's backyard and the landowner even gives me cigars from his own humidor. God is good, indeed!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:22 pm • # 36 
Administrator

"Chris: Pipe and cigar smoking are the 6th and 7th points of Calvinism, are they not? The essence of being Reformed, theologically, is to smoke to the glory of God (in moderation, of course). By the way, I consider fly fishing nothing less than obedience to the Scriptures--given the Dominion Mandate of Genesis 1:28-30. Thus, when I go fishing I'm not wasting time that could be better spent on other things. No, not at all; rather, I'm obeying the Lord!"

Hey Churchwarden,
Right on!
If you ever make it down to Covenant Seminary in St. Louis, look me up - I work there (in Facilities) and am a deacon at a small PCA church here. There's some decent fishing nearby and I've got my smoking bench there on the beautiful campus. (small world, eh?).
I appreciate y'all's addition to the 5 points of Calvinism - I'll have to use that some time!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:46 pm • # 37 

No. Not a pastor of any sort. I certainly thought that would be the road traveled, but life didn't play out that way. But life isn't over yet. Being a Calvinist and a southern baptist tend to not go well together, and certainly means my southern baptist pastor dad and I don't often discuss theology--or scotch and cigars

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:37 pm • # 38 

Had to pull my pipes out. I do enjoy them, and can almost get away with smoking it inside

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:30 pm • # 39 

Chris -- Have you seen Izaak Walton's book on the art of fishing? I think it's called the complete angler. It's a few hundred years old but a real classic. Among other things, Walton ponders the significance of the fact that Jesus chose to call fishermen as his first disciples. There is also a lot ofd wonderful detail about the various kinds of fish available to the fisherman in preindustrial England. http://www.amazon.com/Com...ks&qid=1262993338&sr=8-1 Any good library will have a copy too. D.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 pm • # 40 
Administrator

Dadeedo, welcome to the UL Forums. I have a copy of the Complete Angler, and it is a good read. It's probably been 15 years or so since I read it last. I may have to re-read it.

J.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   Page 2 of 3   [ 58 posts ] New Topic Add Reply