It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 22 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Passions
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:50 pm • # 1 

Another thread got side-tracked a little, and started talking about bicycles.  Hearing a few of the stories there got me thinking about who all of you really are, and what you like beyond fly fishing.  So if you'd care to share.... What are your passions / past- times beyond fishing (fly or otherwise)?

As for me... Aside from family and friends, my passions lie in just a few things.  I certainly have other interests (photography, wood working, sailing, rock climbing, backpacking, etc.) but I'm truly passionate about three (four if you separate the two "snow sports") and these are listed below in order of my personal preference:  
[list type=decimal][*]Surfing  (Got my first board when I was 10 (over 40 years ago), and haven't been without since.  Even living here in Indiana, I still have three boards.  I prefer to short board unless it's small, then the big boys come out to play.  Being from the Santa Barbara area... CI short boards, and a Yater Spoon are my preferred sticks, and of course Rincon is my favorite wave.)[*]Snow Skiing / Snow Boarding  (I was once a Certified PSIA (Alpine) Level II, and AASI Level I instructor, but have let both of them lapse since leaving Utah.  Favorite Resort:  Snow Bird, no... Alta, no.... Deer Valley, no.... Park City, no.... Oh, just take your pick from the Wasatch front.)[*]Cycling (I'm a Roadie at heart, but spend a fair amount of time riding single track as well.  The family and I typically ride 150-200 miles a week during the riding season, and a few weeks back we rode the Hilly Hundred together.)[/list]
As an aside, fly fishing would have been listed between the snow sports and cycling.  (And I don't do any other type of fishing.)

---David

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:40 am • # 2 
Administrator

I bounce around from hobby to hobby but the ones I always come back to are:
  • Photography -- Picked up a 35mm rangefinder in high school and have had a camera in my hand ever since.   First nice camera was an Oly OM2, which soon led to a B&W darkroom in our tiny house.  Then on to a Rolleiflex medium format, etc.   Made the switch to digital with the Canon D30 in 2001 (not to be confused with the more recent 30D).  I currently use a Canon 1D and a Lumix G2 (u4/3) although I'm embarrassed to admit that most of my photos are taken with my iPhone Image (like they say: "the best camera is the one you carry")
  • Woodturning -- I used to do all kind of woodworking but now it's mostly down to turning.  It's nice being able to do a project start to finish in a couple of hours and making high-speed wood shavings is a blast.  A few years ago I sold my big lathe and bought a midi and mini so my son and I can work together.
  • Cycling -- I've been doing this since high school as well.  Started off as a roadie.  Switched to a mountain bike when they first came out.  Back to roadie.  Then both for a while.  And finally, after getting clipped yet again by a car I went back to mtn biking exclusively, which, after some brain surgery, has turned into more fat tire single-speed urban stuff than anything.
  • UL Fly Fishing -- of course.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:23 am • # 3 
Administrator

Fly fishing will always be my number one passion. I have other interests too though.

1. Guitar playing
2. Trail riding (on a horse, not a **** ATV).
3. Firearms
4. Airguns
5. Traditional Archery

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:28 pm • # 4 

Jerry:
I still have the Yashica Rangefinder I got in my high school years, and my first SLR was also the OM2. (You must be about my age!) I played around a number of years with a Hasselblad 500CM for work (Public Relations/Marketing) and loved the image size, but ultimately went back to 35mm. Just too convenient for what I shoot, and I'm not enlarging anything that much. I shot with Contax equipment (film) up until last Christmas. (As you can see, I love Zeiss glass.) My wife decided she was tired of point and shoot digital photos, and hated having to wait for me to process film. So she bought me the Nikon D7000. As you probably know, it isn't full frame sensor, but I've been pretty impressed with what it's capable of. And since receiving it, I haven't used my Contax gear much. (Do miss my fast prime lenses though.) I guess I'm finally converted to the digital realm. (Would still love to own a Leica MP though!) But like you, most of the photos I take these days seem to come from my iPhone.

J:
When you say "Traditional Archery" are you talking about long bows as opposed to compound bows? (Please forgive my ignorance in this venue, as I have no real knowledge on the subject.)
Also, acoustic, electric, or both? (guitars) And what genres of music?

---David

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:25 pm • # 5 

Other than my 7 beautiful Grandchildren & fly fishing, cooking has to be mine. Following are some of my specialties:
1) Peanut butter fudge...a recipe I tweaked & improved over many years.
2) Fried turkey...I created my own dry rub. Most of the turkey never makes the table...a skin picker's delight.
3) Buffalo wings...I cook the sauce into them, the sauce is not just a coating.
4) Italian sloppy joes...made with sweet & hot Italian sausage, spices, etc & topped with mozzarella.
5) Shredded beef sandwiches...beef, broth, beer, & spices.
6) Smoked beef brisket...charcoal & hickory smoked over apple juice for 10 hours, I make the rub & sauce.
7) Beef jerky...my own recipe, then 7 1/4 hours in a 170 degree oven on hanging racks.

There are of course other favorites, but the above are my most requested.
Mike

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:53 am • # 6 

I'm suddenly very hungry....

---David

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:55 am • # 7 
Administrator

David, yes traditional archery is longbows, and recurves. I've sold all but one of my Trad bows though since I haven't hunted for a number of years now. With young children, I just don't have the time to hunt. Next year my youngest will start kindergarten, and I plan to start hunting again during school hours.

I play electric guitar. I do have an acoustic, but I never play it, it isn't even strung. It's a very cheap guitar that I bought many years ago, it has issues, and isn't worth fixing. I am currently studying the basics of jazz guitar. I started playing about 21 years ago, and for all that time I've played blues, rock, and metal.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:44 am • # 8 
Administrator

ohiotuber wrote:
Other than my 7 beautiful Grandchildren & fly fishing, cooking has to be mine. Following are some of my specialties:
1) Peanut butter fudge...a recipe I tweaked & improved over many years.
2) Fried turkey...I created my own dry rub. Most of the turkey never makes the table...a skin picker's delight.
3) Buffalo wings...I cook the sauce into them, the sauce is not just a coating.
4) Italian sloppy joes...made with sweet & hot Italian sausage, spices, etc & topped with mozzarella.
5) Shredded beef sandwiches...beef, broth, beer, & spices.
6) Smoked beef brisket...charcoal & hickory smoked over apple juice for 10 hours, I make the rub & sauce.
7) Beef jerky...my own recipe, then 7 1/4 hours in a 170 degree oven on hanging racks.

There are of course other favorites, but the above are my most requested.
Mike
Mikey, you should have given a warning.  I'm about to eat lunch and will be sorely let down by PB, banana & honey, yogurt and apple.  Thanks a lot.  Image

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:52 am • # 9 
Administrator

I don't do much cycling anymore but I used to race MTB semi-pro and had a great time doing it. I met lots of great people and learned a lot about life. For exercise now I mainly hike, walk or run (not nearly enough according to my wife.
I play acoustic guitar. Some folk, some blues, some bluegrass, some old time. I also help to lead worship at my church (not with my voice though, that wouldn't be good).
I absolutely love spending time with my kids.
I have a ca. 1907 house that we are rehabbing (somewhat historically accurate) while we live there. 8 years along and still going strong. I call it the Albatross. I'd say 'passion' in this sense is not positive most of the time.  This involved custom woodworking as well.
I enjoy smoking a pipe. Tobacco.
Fly fishing is my main hobby and passion (aside from my family of course).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:55 pm • # 10 
Administrator

Utah David wrote:
Jerry:
I still have the Yashica Rangefinder I got in my high school years, and my first SLR was also the OM2. (You must be about my age!) I played around a number of years with a Hasselblad 500CM for work (Public Relations/Marketing) and loved the image size, but ultimately went back to 35mm. Just too convenient for what I shoot, and I'm not enlarging anything that much. I shot with Contax equipment (film) up until last Christmas. (As you can see, I love Zeiss glass.) My wife decided she was tired of point and shoot digital photos, and hated having to wait for me to process film. So she bought me the Nikon D7000. As you probably know, it isn't full frame sensor, but I've been pretty impressed with what it's capable of. And since receiving it, I haven't used my Contax gear much. (Do miss my fast prime lenses though.) I guess I'm finally converted to the digital realm. (Would still love to own a Leica MP though!) But like you, most of the photos I take these days seem to come from my iPhone.
I tend to sell anything not bolted down so my film gear went away years ago.  I worked at a camera shop part-time in California and got to shoot with a Hasselblad from time to time.  Stunning detail and amazing glass.  Kind of a chunk to lug around though :-)  The boss let me take one out to the park to take shots of (not at) my kids once using a body and fast lens that at the time were selling for something approaching $30K if I remember correctly.  Wasn't very relaxing.

My daughter got a D7000 for Christmas last year.  Great camera.  If you need a good prime get that 50mm f1.4.  With that sensor size it makes a great portrait lens.  I had a 50mm f1.2 on my OM2 and I still get a little misty-eyed when I think about it. Image

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:55 pm • # 11 

Truly odd how many hobbies we share in common...
*I also play guitar. Played for about 9 years, then quit when work took over my life. I play again now, but only during the winter when I can't fish. Worst part is getting my calluses back. Play acoustic, some bluegrass and folk. Play a tele also, bit of country twang, old school classic rock, single stage distortion stuff, lots of tube sag (compression).
*Firearms use to be my main hobby. I still have a safe full of firearms, just don't shoot nearly as often. Love antique Winchester lever guns and Colt Single Actions. I also love Sharps, though I have only owned a few modern versions (C. Sharps Arms & Shiloh) as the real ones are still very expensive. About 7 years ago I got into long range tactical shooting (400 to 1200 yards). I started out running a Rem 700 .308, upgraded to GA Precision custom .308, then upgraded again to a GA Precision 6.5 Creedmoor (man that was one sweet stick). Now I have gotten into long range .22 shooting. Don't laugh, my son and I are crushing soda cans at 300 yards with .22lr. The dope is similar to a .308 at 1000 yards. And, I can afford the ammunition :) Do my share of handgun shooting also.
*Cooking, yep, that is how I make a living. Been in the Restaurant business for 12 years.

Hobbies I want to be more serious about:
*Mountain bikes, I do have a specialized rock hopper on my garage wall, but I never committed to the sport like I intended. I need a hobby to keep me in shape.
*Astronomy, I really enjoy the limited amount of time I have spent star gazing. Spotting the moons of Saturn, looking at Nebula, its very very interesting. I hope to get more into this over time, just hard for anything to compete with Fly Fishing!!!

Jb

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:40 pm • # 12 

After I've had a few drinks I play a mean air guitar, does that count? ImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:03 pm • # 13 

Quote:
[b]Cliff Hilbert wrote:

After I've had a few drinks I play a mean air guitar, does that count?

[/b]

Only if you aren't watching LSU football at the same time, and GEAUX TIGERS is shouted out somewhere in the chorus of what ever song you're playing.  Image

---David

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:08 pm • # 14 

01. Flying..............I have owned 10 different aircraft and still have a 1946 Taylorcraft BC12-D.  (Time spend flying is not deducted from one's lifetime).
  02. UL fly fishing.............and Fly tying.
  03. Shooting..........I really gave up hunting years ago. Used to shoot competitively but now just for enjoyment. I love to set at the bench and shoot tiny little (one ragged-hole 5-shot groups) also hand-load all my ammo.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:19 pm • # 15 
Administrator

Tailingloop wrote:

Awesome!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:40 pm • # 16 

Utah David wrote:
Quote:
[b]Cliff Hilbert wrote:

After I've had a few drinks I play a mean air guitar, does that count?

[/b]

Only if you aren't watching LSU football at the same time, and GEAUX TIGERS is shouted out somewhere in the chorus of what ever song you're playing.  Image

---David

The only song I know how to play on air guitar is "Hey Fighting Tigers!!"  Image

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:45 pm • # 17 

I played the drums in elementary and grade school up to high school...on my own and in school bands until they told me I had to march to be in the stage band and I quit. Always wished that I could play a stringed instrument like the guitar or banjo....never really gave it an honest effort.

I got my first "decent" bicycle - a Motobecane in 1981 from a bike shop in San Antonio. Ended up doing some local sanctioned races on it and later road bikes. I got a mountain bike in 1989 and liked the solitude of the woods without the cars to worry about and raced those too (local sport class stuff). I'm down to commuting on my MTB and riding the road bike for fitness and the fun.

Sounds weird, but I love the burn in my legs and lungs!Image

This is the culprit for stealing me away from this forum.....It's a Lynskey R330.  Titanium frame, Sram Rival components, huge fun!

11,700 miles and counting. The goal is 17,000 + this time next year!

Last edited by armyflyfisher on Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:10 pm • # 18 

My family.  We really get along though we have very little in common.  My wife and kids have little interest in fishing...it is something I do alone.  It is just not their thing.  We do have things we like to do together...our family is pretty tight.

Out side of that, My son and I do some target shooing.  We mostly shoot rimfire .22's as they are less expensive to shoot.  I do have a bit of an old sixgun passion....single action sixgun.  About 25 years ago, a good friend introduced me to John Linebaugh, a gunsmith from Wyoming.  He go me into the shooting fun of long range handguns shooing...with a sixgun.  Elmer Kieth once made a long range deer kill with a .44 mag.  I don't hunt much anymore, and I definitely don't condone long range hunting at all...with any gun...as it has nothing to do with hunting, but for those sixgunners, pick one up some day and try for some distant targets......OK, I know you won't believe me, but I used to attend shoots in Wyoming where we shot our open sighted sixguns all the way out to 1000 yards.   It is possible...it is a simple geometry game.  It takes about 6 seconds for a 340 gr hard cast bullet moving 1100 fps  from a 4 3/4" barreled custom SBH Ruger 45 Colt  to hit...1000 yards away.  OK- You are all going to call me a liar.  It is fun...and possible.  Get into it and you will reach for few other shooting irons when long range shooting. 

Other than that, I mostly fly fish.  I gave my film camera stuff to my daughter along with a DSLR.  I had a camera around my neck for over 30 years.  My favorite camera is my little PAS.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:33 am • # 19 

if love and passion are cousins then I have to list Dear Wife as my #1 passion. Nothing else comes close

Post subject: Re: Passions
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:36 am • # 20 

Music- been a trumpet player for 50 years in big bands, jazz groups, salsa bands, classical piccolo trumpet and organ soloist.

Hi-Fi , trying to come as close to reproduction of the recording as possible. I love listening to as many different speakers as possible. My son designs and builds his own audiophile subwoofers. www.stereointegrity.com which has his flagship model of a 24" diameter woofer that moves 5 inches of travel, with a 120 lb magnet, and he also sells car sound quality drivers.

Sex

Pipes and Cigars

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 22 posts ] New Topic Add Reply