It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   Page 2 of 3   [ 43 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:35 pm • # 21 

Hey Paul, have you noticed my new signature? :D

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:41 pm • # 22 

Yeah, what's with the Texas Fisheries population controller .. ??? ??? . Sounds like
Something scientific to me ... Do you wear a green uniform with a badge and
A smokey the bear hat ... :rollin :rollin

Paul

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:29 pm • # 23 

No, I help keep the fish populations under control in many of the local lakes by culling them down to manageable levels. In other words, I take a lot of fish home to eat. :D

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:47 pm • # 24 

Gentlemen, I was not trying to start on problem. But I have noticed changes in the weather pattern and the seasons over the years and it is having an strange effect on the local fishing and trout fishing in the Eastern Sierra. I think humans have had some part in a negative impact the world's weather how much I don' t really know. I have always thought we are fleas on the earth's back and we can be flicked off when ever the planet feels like it and there is nothing we can do about it. That is why I posted this topic in the off topic non fishing discussion section. I have no faith in science's predictions of how the world's weather will be in the next 20 to 30 years. But believe it or not there are changes going on with the earth's weather and it may impact future fishing for all of us.

Lanny

Last edited by Gila trout on Tue May 28, 2013 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:40 pm • # 25 

Gila trout wrote:
Gentlemen, I was not trying to start on problem. But I have noticed changes in the weather pattern and the seasons over the years and it is having an strange effect on the local fishing and trout fishing in the Eastern Sierra. I think humans have had some part in a negative impact the world's weather how much I don' t really know. I have always thought we are fleas on the earth's back and we can be flicked off when ever the planet feels like it and there is nothing we can do about it. That is why I posted this topic in the off topic non fishing discussion section. I have no faith in science's predictions of how the world's weather will be in the next 20 to 30 years. But believe it or not there is are changes going on with the earth's weather and it may impact future fishing for all of us.

Lanny

Ahhh, now there is something to be concerned about, Lanny. With the atmospheric changes it might mean bigger and more aggressive fish. In that case, I'm all for Al Gore and global warming. :applause And just who are you calling "Gentlemen"??? :rollin :rollin

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:46 pm • # 26 

Hey cliff now come on you heard that .. :evil ..never mind .... :evil ..re the new
Conservation position you now hold . :lol :lol .. I should have known it was
Self appointed,and I thought you were elected by a landslide victory by
The people ... :rollin :rollin :rollin

Paul

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:47 pm • # 27 
Administrator

I do agree, the weather changes can impact fishing in a very negative way. Last summers drought severely impacted my creek in a bad way. Not as many fish. Now, the gills could very well have just moved back down into the reservoir when the water level dropped like a brick. Where I live on the creek, it's not far at all to the lake, and fish can move freely to and from.

This spring the fish did return, but how long they plan to say is up to the amount of rain we get this year. I got tired of seeing and catching carp much of last year, because that was really all that was left in any good number.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:45 pm • # 28 

It is interesting to read all the prognosticators ..you normally never see
Two on same page, but some of the subtle changes one reads about surely gets
One thinking, recently read an article by a biologist re climate and temperature change, he said that certain migrating birds no longer fly as far south as they used to and when they do its much later in the year, so this is definitely in my eyes temperature changes on our planet as small as it & seems to the common person, temperature change is occurring and it has an adverse effect on the Eco system ...my question, is this the normal chain of events, cycles that happen in a certain time frames over decades, changes that are expected by natural events or are we with our polluting of the Atmosphere accelerating these changes ... Always an interesting
Subject with many opinions from both the common person and professional ..
Paul

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:26 pm • # 29 

I know that in the last few years I feel colder than I used to. Of course, that could be because I'm getting older and my skin is getting thinner. :(

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:41 pm • # 30 

You just go tend to your Texas fisheries controller duties .. :P :P Ill worry about
The climate temp problems..you got enough to do keeping the fish population under control, I know it's a nasty job but someone's gotta do it ... :lol :lol
. ( next time can ya give yourself a smaller title ) thanks

Paul

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:28 am • # 31 

I think for me, the fact that we recently passed the 400 ppm atmospheric CO2 concentration point, combined with the fact that the earth hasn't seen this level in the last 800,000 years, and the fact that those levels have followed our industrial revolution and our increased dependence on burning fossil fuels; suggests that there MAY be a correlation between our actions and this reaction. ;)

Some other things that are happening and, regardless of cause, cannnot be denied or ignored, are the dramatic melting of the arctic ice (now melting at roughly double the speed of 50 years ago to the point that serious interest is being shown in using the arctic as a shipping route), the resulting rise in sealevel globally from the melt, the lowering of ocean temperatures due to the influx of icemelt, and the related reduction in salinity due to the influx of fresh water (icemelt). Might not seem like much, but most marine organisms have evolved in an environment where salinity and temperature vary over a very narrow range (or not at all).
One might wish to argue that these have no (or only minor) human causes. The fact remains that the earth's climate appears to be changing, and quickly. One can also argue that any time these changes occur, there are winners and losers at the end of the day. But I kinda doubt that a species that relies heavily on technology, likes to live near the edge of the water, and relies on massive agribusiness monocultures for its food is going to be among the winners.
I sure hope Al Gore is working hard on inventing that time machine.... :rollin

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:20 am • # 32 

Brent ...nothing like a professional opinion ....interesting to read and digest ........change the subject for a second ..
Did ya get the reel ?

Paul

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:08 am • # 33 

Well, it is opinion, nonetheless, and well worth every penny you paid for it. :rollin

Nope. Reel is still languishing in my mailbox in Houlton, Me. I had an invitation yesterday to turn a fly tying material shopping trip into a six hour motorcycle ride in the opposite direction, and since it was the first sunny day after the monsoon season, I did just that.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:46 am • # 34 

Ok Brent ...re the penny I was looking for change .. :rollin :rollin

I'm not sure who is looking more forward to getting the reel you or I :lol :lol

Paul

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:17 pm • # 35 

:rollin

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:18 pm • # 36 

Hey, what are you two doing talking about reels in this section!!! Don't you know this is the "Off Topic" section??? :lol :lol

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:30 pm • # 37 

Did you do any population controlling today ... :lol :lol

Paul

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:52 pm • # 38 

Last edited by Cliff Hilbert on Wed May 29, 2013 10:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:54 pm • # 39 

Panfisher1 wrote:
Did you do any population controlling today ... :lol :lol

Paul

Unfortunately I haven't done any population controlling yet this week, the wind has been 20-30mph every day. :(

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:27 am • # 40 

Don't feel bad, we have gotten 8 inches of rain in the last 24 hours ..
Forecast is for more precipitation and flooding ... We are grounded here ..

Paul

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   Page 2 of 3   [ 43 posts ] New Topic Add Reply