It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next   Page 1 of 3   [ 43 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:17 pm • # 1 

Since the last really powerful El Nino here is Southern California in the early 80s the weather and the seasons have never been the same. We used to average about 10.5 inches of rain a year(where I live) but now it is either too much or too little rain. Summer is getting longer, there is really no spring anymore, it just goes from cold to hot. Winter is shorter and our fire season is year around. This winter my lawn stayed really green through the end of December, because that when our first frost finally came.

We get these crazy temperature swings. It will be 95 to 100 for a few days then drop 35 degrees for a week. The last two years we have really warm, bad winters with little rain and snow in the Eastern Sierras where most of the states water comes from. The most scary thing is allot the lakes in the Eastern Sierra above 8,500 ft. have ice on them aleast through late june early July. This year allot of these higher lakes were ice free at the end of April. This is just in California. The rest of the Country and the world seem to suffering through very weird/ harsh weather. There is no doubt we now living with the effects of Climate change. What do you think? Is the world in serious trouble, is this real or BS and the planet will continue on for hundreds of more years.

Lanny

Last edited by Gila trout on Mon May 27, 2013 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:30 am • # 2 

yea... even around these parts the weather thinks we're in november...

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:57 am • # 3 

Gila trout wrote:
is this real or BS and the planet will continue on for hundreds of more years? Lanny

I can say with confidence that the planet will continue on for hundreds OF THOUSANDS of years. I'm also fairly certain we'll be long gone, having crapped ourselves under, and the natural systems of the planet will recover more quickly than our hubris would allow us to imagine. ::)
(the first statement is fact; the second is opinion)
In the meantime, I highly recommend fishing. :rollin

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:34 am • # 4 

The greenhouse effect ... I'm a believer ... Vicious tornados, killer storms along the jersey coast, 7-11 inch rainfall in short period of time in south Florida, birds don't migrate as far south as they used to because of temperature change, I'm with Brent ..keep fishing ... We have screwed up the Eco system to a point of no return.. Some will recover, others I'm sorry to say are gone forever ...

Paul

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:43 am • # 5 

Hmmm, I wonder who caused the ice age? Was it the dinosaurs' bad breath?

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:14 am • # 6 

Cliff cave men like you .. All the years you used right guard so you would
Smell nice for the lovely ladies and those lovely ladies using their hair spray ...
We've screwed the environment up pretty good...the ice age as I read it was caused by a catastrophic event ...this is like discussing politics and religion .... Dinosaurs bad breath ..that's funny Cliff .. I gave Jeremy my solemn pledge I wasn't going to get into these conversations and I would be much more tolerant ....
See ya ...cause I know ill offend someone ... Happy Memorial Day !!
Paul

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:56 pm • # 7 

No doubt we must keep fishing. In the future trout fishing in some places might be a nice memory. I am sure some trout will survive just as they have done for hundreds of years. But if all there is bass, catfish, carp and panfish left to catch at lower elevations that would be okay with me. Large bluegill and Redear are hard to fool with flies, very rewarding to catch and are a blast on 2 and 3 wt. rods.

Lanny

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:30 pm • # 8 

Cliff makes a good point about the ice age. They've been cyclical in nature for eons here on the blue planet. We're actually overdue for one right now. Seems like the opposite is happening. For you folks who live/used to live in New England, did you know that the climate has now changed sufficiently that opossums are now found as far north as Bangor, ME? And winter temps are, I believe, the main limiting factor to the northern extension of their range.

I'm not absolutely certain that man is responsible for all of the climate change we're seeing, but I think its a safe bet that we just might be contributing. If we AREN'T the main cause of current changes in weather patterns and overall climate change, well, a century from now we'll all be dead, and some of us will have posthumous egg on our faces. If we ARE the main cause, well, we'll still all be dead, but it would seem we're well past the point of no return already, so we can take comfort that we made a good run of it and are just enjoying the fate of all species, eventually.
In any case, as Kim Mitchell said, "Might as well go for a soda...."

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:06 pm • # 9 

Don't know about any particular locations in the USA but in Scotland we are getting wetter summers and colder winters.

My theory is that climate change is happening but there are so many positive and negative feedback loops that to say with any certainty is very difficult.

What I do know is that manmade co2 has very little if any significant effect as both natural sources of co2 are much greater and co2 itself is insignificant compared to water vapour and the oceans effects on the climate and they are heated by the sun which has its own variances.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:39 pm • # 10 

This I know for sure, Al Gore invented the internet. :applause

Last edited by Cliff Hilbert on Mon May 27, 2013 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:11 pm • # 11 
Administrator

It's been strange here in Ohio as well. This year I have turned the furnace on twice this month of May. That never happens. Just before the first cold snap, I had the AC on for three days straight. Never use the AC in May either.

The last two springs, we had some serious rain, much more than normal, and last summer we had a drought that made my creek the lowest I've ever seen it in the eight years I've lived here.

Strange stuff for sure, but I'm not entirely convinced by that douche Al Gore that global warming is entirely man made. The earth has gone through many warm and cold shifts ever since the planet was formed. Heck, back in the 70's and 80's I think it was, they were predicting a new ice age, so I'm not sure we humans have any real clue as to what will happen weather wise in the future.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:31 pm • # 12 

:smokin Maybe we'll have global warming and another ice age at the same time. That way everyone would be happy.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:50 pm • # 13 

Cliff Hilbert wrote:
:smokin Maybe we'll have global warming and another ice age at the same time. That way everyone would be happy.

:rollin :rollin
From what I've seen of human nature, its more likely that NO ONE would be happy.
And they'll all blame the other guys ::) .

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:43 pm • # 14 

wheezeburnt wrote:
Cliff Hilbert wrote:

:rollin :rollin
From what I've seen of human nature, its more likely that NO ONE would be happy.
And they'll all blame the other guys ::) .

We know for certain that obama would blame Bush. O0

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:55 pm • # 15 
Global Moderator

pardon my language but some of you people are ridiculous. talking about weather moving into politics, you people need to get off your political sopa box, this is a fishing forum not fox news.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:39 am • # 16 

Easy there ....don't mind you making a point, but we can definitely
Do without the obscene language, this is a family show .. It would
Have had more of an impact without the obscenity ...

Paul

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:22 am • # 17 

Perhaps we were all confused by the words "Off-topic Discussion (non-fishing)" at the top of the page? :rollin

(Hey, that Faux News crack really hurt. :lol )

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:00 am • # 18 

As someone once said. 'The Earth will just shake us off, like a bad case of the fleas'. We do impact it,We don't control it.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:46 am • # 19 

pkrotine wrote:
pardon my language but some of you people are fucking ridiculous. talking about weather moving into politics, you people need to get off your political sopa box, this is a fishing forum not fox news.

As any idiot can see my comment was tongue-in-cheek and was meant as a joke. As Paul said, there is no reason for that kind of vile language on here.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:35 am • # 20 

Chuck is that you ?? You look different on here .... Hey fellas I want to
Introduce you to a really good friend of mine and a superb UL fly fisherman ...
This guy is a Bob Dennison UUL 4,6 fly rod & miniature reels fan ....he can catch fish
In a puddle of water ...... ;) ;)

Cliff ..pay it no mind ..only thing ridiculous was the statement ..to know you is to
Love ya ...heck, I called ya a cave man .. :lol

Paul

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next   Page 1 of 3   [ 43 posts ] New Topic Add Reply