It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:30 am • # 1 

So here is the dilemma: what most people around here refere to as a barbecue; is a grill.
That is not nessecarily a bad thing; but this little part of me would like to do it "properly" for once; so i'm not sure what to get.

The GF would like a Barbecook grill; and i can see why, as it's quite easy to control.
This has no lid however ruling out all slow-cooked applications.
On the other hand; i could get a Weber; but that would make heat control while "normal" grilling harder; and they 're also quite a bit more expensive.
And then there is gas...

What should i do? ??? ??? :-\

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:31 am • # 2 

Check consumers magazine they always have a comprehensive rating
On all kind and makes of cooking grills ......

Paul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:36 am • # 3 

I used a Brinkman's Sportsman's Smoker for years with good results for slow cooking. It's a covered water pan type smoker that does a lot of things well with some practice and isn't expensive. For grilling I use an Aussie grill which is a covered grill that cost me 50 bucks new. Does a great job on steaks, fish etc and with the hinged lid you can control the smoke and temp easily. I use mainly mesquite and post oak but that's because I have it growing on my property. Charcoal works just fine with a smoker box and imparts a nice smoky flavor with out overpowering the meat. Now I use a Weber water pan smoker which works well but costs 3 times the cost of the Brinkman. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:42 am • # 4 

thanks both of you; i am getting the impression that the concept of barbecue/smokers doesn't translate all to well into european ;)

i'll have a look around for the others; the webers are awefuly expensive; so i'm not sure :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:14 pm • # 5 

I have a big smoker and I also have a weber grill its the smallest one they make and I have had bigger webers.
I am the happiest with this tiny weber it works perfect and very easy to control, the smoker is not my cup of tea very difficult to control the heat I have used it many times and its just to much grill for my wife and me. and I only use charcoal.Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:49 pm • # 6 

I also have a Brinkmann water smoker (older Gourmet model) & love it. I've done ribs & MANY beef briskets on it & always use apple juice rather than water in the water pan. I also slather my briskets with mustard, then my dry rub. Then the lid stays on for ten hours.
My gas grill, 1st purchased for my daughter, then for myself, is loved by all after over 4 months use. It is a Walmart "Backyard Grill" brand 4 burner with a side burner ($158.00 in Canton, Ohio). Not only economical, it is 48,000 btu on the 4 burners & 12,000 btu on the side burner. EVERY burner has it's own ignitor. Absolutely the best cooking gas grill I have ever owned & I have had some top of the line grills, including an Arkla when they were top rated (pre Weber).
The 4 burners are also linear (front to back) which also make for very convenient indirect cooking too.
Hope this helps.

Mikey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:05 pm • # 7 

We haven't had a grill in over 5 years...I miss it, and will be fixing that situation in as soon as we move back to the States. Likely with a charcoal Weber, just love those grills.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:08 pm • # 8 

Webbers are good, I've had three, go for the charcoal, hands down they are the most versatile, and produce the best taste. I bought a Big Green Egg two years ago and haven't looked back, I Smoke, Grill and Bake outside all year long, 20 below no problem.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:23 pm • # 9 

Starting out, you can't go wrong with a Weber Kettle. A near perfect charcoal grill that is also great for smoking in small batches. It is a great starter grill for little money. It will also teach you about how thick the steel needs to be to hold heat, etc...

Gas grills are different. Learn to cook with charcoal first, then you can cheat with gas! Seriously though, quality gas grills are expensive. A good charcoal grill for the same money will last much longer.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:31 am • # 10 

Thanks a lot everyone; really glad to be around you ;)
i'll go and have a look next week; i'm sure i'll find something!

best,

Thomas

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:38 pm • # 11 

I have a Char Griller. It is a tank of a grill that is flat ugly and looks like a blackened drum with vents sticking out of the top. You can cook with propane on one side or charcoal on the other side. I have had it for a few years now. I sure am happy with it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:16 am • # 12 

Just installed a char-griller from Lowes in a rental and it is a nice, practical unit. Tenant loves it!.. I picked up a Weber 6 burner a few years ago on closeout and built it in. Love it, side burner, rotiserie with ceramic burner and a smoker box.
My cousin has a Traeger grill that works like a pellet stove. Electric screw drive feeds pellets into the unit and cooks as nice or better than charcoal.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:38 pm • # 13 

I just won a Big Green Egg grill with all the accessories today at the Cigar shop. I can't use it as the Condo Assoc. won't allow open flame grills.

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply