It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 35 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:00 pm • # 21 
Administrator

Linecaster,
I fish a 1wt routinely and use the 1DT and 1WF sage quiet taper with interesting results. I think you'll be pleased if you every get a chance to cast a 1wt - for example a TFO comes to mind.

Les

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:34 pm • # 22 

Okay, I'm new to all of this--just having got my 3wt in May. I didn't even know that there were rods called Ultralight. I just wanted something that would make catching even a 6" bluegill more fun. What I got with my 3 wt Superfine was a rod that cast better in the wind than my 4 wt. And it is really fun to hook up with a bluegill. I caught a 10" bass and I was thrilled. The 2 wt. is even more fun. I just wish I had more time to fish. I found this forum from a comment that Chris Barclay made on Warm Water forum about the "ultralight" forum. I goggled it and when I found it, I was like WOW!, this is going to be fun.
Marion

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:39 pm • # 23 
Administrator

bluegillfisher wrote:
I was like WOW!, this is going to be fun.
You're in the right place!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:18 pm • # 24 

Hi All, I've never cast any rod lighter than a 3 wt. I'll see if that can't be changed soon. I looked at a post the other night about 2 wt rod's that I'll have to go back and reread. Mark

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:23 pm • # 25 
Administrator

Mark,
Welcome to UL fly fishers! All you have to do is ask-there are plenty of folks here willing to help you in your search.
Les

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:31 pm • # 26 

jdub and Keebranch, thanks for your input on my remark concerning anything less than a 2 weight. What are the weights of 000 weight up to 3 weight lines in grains? If the 2 weight is 80 grains and most lines have a reduction of 20 grains per drop of line weight so a 1 weight should then be 60 grains and a 0 weight is? I guess my next step would have to be a 0 weight but if it is a TFO, ok, as the Sage are too expensive for me. That bass you caught is really impressive well done, far more satisfying than on the recommended 8 weight for LMB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:31 pm • # 27 
Administrator

Linecaster, the 0wt is pretty much a marketing gimmick in my opinion. AFFTA line weight standards only go down to 1wt. All the ought wts' are Sage's creation and basically proprietary. Dan Craft used to offer a 0wt blank, not sure if he still does or not. There is a bamboo builder in South Africa that is building ought wt rods too, but other than that, the ought's haven't really caught on everywhere else.

3wt: 100 grains

2wt: 80 grains

1wt: 60 grains

0wt: 54 grains (still falls into the light end of AFFTA 1wt specs).

00wt: 43 grains

000wt: 32 grains

Make your own call on these numbers. I don't want to offend anyone, but to me, the next line weight down would be the 00wt since it is close enough to the standard 20 grain difference.

J.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:37 pm • # 28 
Administrator

jkurtz7 wrote:
Linecaster, the 0wt is pretty much a marketing gimmick in my opinion.
Okay J, now you're cracking me up. I was under the impression that about 95% of all modern fly-fishing gear was thought up by the marketing guys. In fact, if it wasn't for those ingenious marketing guys we probably wouldn't have a UL Fly fishing site. We'd all be slinging 5 or 6 wt glass rods over on the fiberglass forum Image.

Fortunately, I'm very susceptible to marketing so I am constantly buying and selling gear. One of the small joys in life. Image And I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 0 wt *or* a 00 wt, although I probably wouldn't buy both unless they were entirely different rods such as long and short or graphite and glass.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:43 pm • # 29 
Administrator

Susceptibility to to marketing? Wait, I resemble that remark. Image

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:56 am • # 30 

jkurtz7 wrote:
I don't want to offend anyone
I noticed this line in a couple of your posts. So how many people have you offended lately Image

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:00 am • # 31 
Administrator

Sasha wrote:
jkurtz7 wrote:
I don't want to offend anyone
I noticed this line in a couple of your posts. So how many people have you offended lately Image
Enough I'm sure.

J.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:42 pm • # 32 

jkurtz7, I guess your'e right when you say 00 weight would be the logical step down and just for that if I wanted to go lighter that is what I would aim for. As for marketing gimmicks I do believe a ton of fisherman are caught by their whims and that I am sure has happened to each one of us if we are honest. But they say fisherman are of all lier's the most trustworthy.:o)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:45 pm • # 33 
Administrator

linecaster wrote:
jkurtz7, I guess your'e right when you say 00 weight would be the logical step down and just for that if I wanted to go lighter that is what I would aim for. As for marketing gimmicks I do believe a ton of fisherman are caught by their whims and that I am sure has happened to each one of us if we are honest. But they say fisherman are of all lier's the most trustworthy.:o)
I've been known to buy into the snake oil from time to time.

J.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:50 pm • # 34 

I have a whole tackle box full of whims for baitcasting...Not so, fly fishing....yet!! I will succumb.....Rob

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:39 pm • # 35 

keebranch wrote:
I voted for 2wt, since it's usually the rod a grab first.

Les
That was it for me too.....great all-around choice. Sure I have lighter rated rods, but the 2 is da bomb.

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 35 posts ] New Topic Add Reply