It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 35 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:05 am • # 1 
Administrator

This site was created for Fly Fishing in line weights of 000 wt through 3 wt. and many of us own rods in several of these line weights, but when you think Ultralight Fly Fishing which line weight do you think of first? Sorry, for this survey you have to pick a single wt.

I'm asking for a reason which may or may not be disclosed in the not too distant future.

Thanks in advance for participating!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:27 am • # 2 
Administrator

That change to the poll killed the previous results.

J.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:48 am • # 3 
Administrator

jkurtz7 wrote:
That change to the poll killed the previous results.
Whoops! Oh well, it was flawed anyway. Hopefully we'll get folks to vote again. I didn't even see how many votes we had on the first one--did you?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:02 am • # 4 
Administrator

There was a few votes. I didn't get an exact number, I'm trying to catch up here, get things done around the house, and get ready for an appointment I have to take my son to later.

J.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:22 am • # 5 

In many parts of the country, 3wts are the standard rods for dries. Many of the graphite rods I've seen lately for 3 and 4wt lines feel more like 5/6wts to me (and I can just as easily cast a 3wt line on my old full-flex graphite 5/6wt rods, which I don't consider UL). In bamboo and glass, though, 3wt definitely feels and acts UL. Another sign of the 3wt's move into standard territory is that almost every freshwater lineup of fly lines includes 3wt, but 2wt and below are scarce.
-CC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:06 pm • # 6 

Well you guys know I love my 000 so that is how I voted Image But honestly when I think of ultralight I tend to think of 1WT and under.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:17 pm • # 7 

I voted 1wt. I fish mostly glass rods and a lot of glass 3wt's are so versatile when it comes to the line weight that you can go up or down a line weight and the rod still performs great. Based on my preference for glass, the one weight takes the next step up the ulta light scale. I love fishing my 1wt but the opportunities are few and far between with the ever present 20+mph wind that plagues this part of the country. Most of my fishing is done with one of my 3wts in semi-protected areas and when I do get the opportunity to fish the 1wt, it feels like an ulta light.

Doug

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:47 pm • # 8 
Administrator

Keep those votes coming guys! You don't have to post if you don't want to, but please take a second to vote. It looks like it's neck and neck between 1 and 2 wts at the moment.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:57 am • # 9 

I voted 1 because I think it's what pretty much started any sort of ultralight trend that might exist.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:47 am • # 10 

I voted 3 because when you consider all warmwater fishing and the limited coldwater fishing we have in Texas, the most versatile is the 3 weight. You can fish the 3 weight for all species and in all conditions. There is a good variety of lines for the 3 weight. Its difficult to find rods in the 1 and 2 weights as varied in lengths you find the 3 weight; 3 weights can be purchased from 4'6 lengths to 9 foot lengths. The 3 weight can be fished on most of the water and most of the time.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:56 am • # 11 
Administrator

pszy22 wrote:
I voted 1 because I think it's what pretty much started any sort of ultralight trend that might exist.
We think alike Image I couldn't afford one when they came out but I remember drooling over that first Orvis 1 wt despite the scoffing of the "knowledgeable" folks at the fly shop.

(I have one now though)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:14 pm • # 12 

For me its a 2wt rod - though I upline both of my 2s with a light 3.

Lets me fish a light stick, yet still have a shot at landing those big ones that occasionally surprise me on my home waters!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:53 pm • # 13 

Ive only had one really honest super UL, the Sage 00, and my son ran off with it, so Ive been working with alot of graphite 1-2-3wts, my Orvis 1 ounce 1wt just loves 2wt lines, dito my Orvis 2wt 1 once, while I do fish 3wts, mostly up in the golden trout wilderness thats not as often as I would like. However during winter months Im fishing my 2wt rods almost continuously from December till the snows melt in late March. Nymphs and midges, walking the freezing water and sight casting to lurking trout in the pockets near the rivers edges. So the 2wt gets my vote.
Richard

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:35 pm • # 14 
Administrator

I voted for 2wt, since it's usually the rod a grab first.

Les

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:17 am • # 15 

1wt DC for me, makes me very happy and is my go to rod as of late.
Altho if I overline with a 2 does that still make it a 1wt?? (I had to slow it down)
I totally understand the 2wt popularity tho do to availability issues.
However after fishing Dons 000 turn micro 00 I must say it really makes me want one for all the small fish around this neck-O-woods. So it wont be long till I'm into the ooo range. But all my fish are really smallImage

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:19 pm • # 16 

I voted 00wt cause that's what I fish now.
But I agree with J 3 and down is UL to me

Justin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:26 pm • # 17 
Administrator

Thanks Justin! I voted 1 wt just because I fish that a little more but it was bumming me out to see 00 wt with no votes! :-)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:37 am • # 18 

I voted 2 weight because that is the lightest that I have so cannot comment further down the scale, however we may say Very light for 3 weight, Ultra light for 2 weight and add a few more Ultra's as you go down the scale. Surely there cannot really be a 0 weight except it be a feather weight rod with a 1 weight line? or the flexibility of the rod as expressed by some above?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:30 am • # 19 
Administrator

linecaster wrote:
Surely there cannot really be a 0 weight except it be a feather weight rod with a 1 weight line? or the flexibility of the rod as expressed by some above?
There are quite a few *true* 0 wt's out there and I can assure you that the TXL 00 wt casts a 00 wt line beautifully. I don't think there's anything magical about it--the rods are just designed to load with less weight.

On the other hand, I'm sure there are guys out there who fish 2 wt lines on their 0 wt rods and that's the only way they can get them to cast--this is often an *angler* problem and not a *rod* problem Image. I read several comments recently on another fly-fishing site that *all* 2 and 3 wt graphite rods are *really* 4 or 5 weights. Well, I think there are a couple hundred experienced anglers on this site who would argue that point Image

0 wt rods might not appeal to everyone and don't work for some folks, but they are absolutely a great fishing tool and can be cast beautifully in even semi-skilled hands. And they are certainly strong enough to land very nice fish. Don't be fooled by the nay-sayers on other sites--many of whom have never even fished ultralight gear.

Nice chunky bass on a Sage TXL 00 wt rod, with 00 wt line. It was no problem to land this fish very quickly using 3X tippet.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:32 pm • # 20 

I voted for the 1 weight based on my reaction to other anglers when they tell me they are fishing one. A 3 is ho-hum, a 2 is mildly interesting, but when they say a 1, my ears perk up. Also a 1 in cane is really rare. 0 and smaller is definitely a fanatic in glass or graphite. Don

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 35 posts ] New Topic Add Reply