It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next   Page 3 of 5   [ 83 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:37 am • # 41 

My choice for an Ultralight Fly rod would be a Bamboo rod. My Jeff Fultz 6'0 for a 3 weight is my go to for this kinda fishing. Ive got a Hardy flyweight with the Airflo ribbed WF3F on it and the rod is a true medium action rod. It is a two piece and and the flex is about Halfway down the rod. Loads real nice. Not alot of false casting to get it going. I gotta comment on the TFO series. Purchased a 9' Professional series for a 7 line as a backup for steelhead and salmon fishing in Oregon. Something to have in the car in case I had a problem with my cane rods. Medium to fast action rod, poorly made, typical rod made overseas. I happen to love the compostion of IM6 I have owned many rods through the years made of IM6 and loved them. This rod I would not use to move pianos with, Just my humble opinion ....Paul

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:42 am • # 42 
Administrator

One thing is certain, TFO has got us all talking about them and their product line. In the world of public relations to which my wife belongs- this kind of buzz cannot be bought.
Les

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:30 pm • # 43 

There is no bad press. Bear that in mind when discussing any product. TFO has done something right providing a reasonable product at a reasonable price.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:42 pm • # 44 
Administrator

I don't know about reasonable product, or reasonable price. There are way better rods in the same price range.

J.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:15 pm • # 45 

J, I am simply saying their products are serviceable for a reasonable price. I cannot find a one weight production rod for less than about $350 to $400 minimum, other than the Finesse.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:32 pm • # 46 
Administrator

All I'm saying here is that when you compare blank to blank, TFO to something else, the other blanks in it's class cost less.

J.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:41 pm • # 47 

You may well be correct about that one!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:49 pm • # 48 
Administrator

Something else too, you do remember our phone conversation on CCS data, and the ratings that ALL the TFO rods get (not including the Finesse series).
They are pawning off 6wts as 5wts, 9wts as 8wts, and 11wts as 9wts etc. That's not reasonable to me. Rate the **** line wt for what it really is.

J.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:34 pm • # 49 
Administrator

jkurtz7 wrote:
They are pawning off 6wts as 5wts, 9wts as 8wts, and 11wts as 9wts etc. That's not reasonable to me. Rate the **** line wt for what it really is.

J.
I have a TFO Pro 5 wt, and there's no way in the world it's really a 6 wt. I fish a standard peach 5 wt WF Cortland line on it, and it's quite a bit slower than my Sage 5 wt, but it's a great casting rod and loads up very nicely. I fished it in Colorado last month on the South Platte for a few days. Nice rod.

BTW, it's the one I had posted for sale here, but I just sold the Albright instead so the TFO is a keeper. I had the Albright A/5, Sage RPL, and TFO out in the front yard comparing them against each other. The TFO and Albright were very close and really not that far behind the Sage RPL. Of Course RPL's were discontinued in about 1912 I think ;-)

Regards,

Jerry

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:35 pm • # 50 

Quote:
jkurtz wrote:

"They are pawning off 6wts as 5wts, 9wts as 8wts, and 11wts as 9wts etc. That's not reasonable to me. Rate the **** line wt for what it really is."

Jeremy,
I couldn't agree more, and TFO isn't the only bunch out there doing it. The inconsistency between rods of the same brand, model, length and weight drives me crazy.It's hard to give an accurate description of a rod's action when you can pick up 3 identical rods and they're no where close to the rating on the label or each other. The label says 3wt but one's a 4wt, another a 5wt and the 3rd is so far off no one can tell what it's supposed to be. Everyone has their own preference whether it's fast, medium or slow but when you have to go up two line weights to get the advertised medium action rating , somebody needs to relearn the rating scale. It gets even worse when buying blanks because you can't test cast them first.

End of rant

Doug

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:55 pm • # 51 

jkurtz7 wrote:
All I'm saying here is that when you compare blank to blank, TFO to something else, the other blanks in it's class cost less.

J.

Good information.......but I can't find another 1wt blank....med/fast...in the same length as the Finesse 6'9 1wt. If there's an alternative I haven't found it!

David

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:06 pm • # 52 
Administrator

David the only other alternative out there is the one we've already discussed, the Dan Craft 6'10" 1wt. It only costs $24 more than the TFO, and no doubt will blow the TFO out of the water. I'm not telling you not to buy the TFO, in all fairness I haven't cast that one yet. Uncle Larry likes it so it must be decent. He isn't going to give something a good rating if it's junk.

And Doug, that's a legit rant. Your right, TFO isn't the only one doing it, but they are certainly one of the worst offenders. I'd like these companies to start making good fishing rods again, not parking lot cannons that don't fish worth a crap.

J.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:38 pm • # 53 

If at all possible:

1. Test cast the rod (or finished blank) before you buy.

2. Talk to others (as many as possible) before you buy

3. Visit this board often for honest opinions Image

Doug

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:24 pm • # 54 

Doug, you have hit the nail on the head with #3. In fact, let me link you to one of these discussions on another forum that I started, by posting the information on the TFO rods, Professional, IM6, and TiCr (with one cane, and one Finesse tossed in for comparison).

http://freestateflyfisher.../viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1827

I have a hard time with things being said about it such as, "Just buy what feels good and LEARN to use it." "LEARN to use the rod with the rated line." Honestly, what is there a standard for? Why can companies like TFO, making cheaper rods, fudge SO BADLY on line weight. Their 5wt Pro, is a heavy six. The 9'9wt TiCr is actually a 12 wt, and so forth. This is common practice, and in a standardized industry, should not be happening. The Finesse line is spot on!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:01 pm • # 55 
Administrator

Andy, it's not that they fudge so much as flat out lie about it in order to make a rod that will cast 90 feet of line in a parking lot. Oddly enough that kind of crap is what sells rods. These rods with fudged line weights marked on them are not supposed to load at 30 feet, they will start to load properly at a further distance, ie. 50-60 feet.
As far as I'm concerned taper technology has pretty much reached it's limits with graphite. Instead of making the rods faster for a given line weight (because they can't make them faster anymore and still call it a fly rod), they just make a rod that is really a 6 or 7wt and call it a 5wt. That way it takes a lot of line out to get the thing to load right.
As for having to Learn how to use a rod, whatever. I've cast some rods that were basically unusable as fly fishing rods. This is though what the general fly fishing public seems to want these days. I just want a rod that is fishable, not something that you would show up to the world distance casting championships with.

J.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:14 pm • # 56 

Andy,
I've seen this same kind of reaction before. It's almost like they are saying "I really don't want to know what the data says, my rod is a 5wt cause it says 5wt. IMHO, rod manufacturers who do not adhere to standards in line weight ratings for their rods are doing a tremendous amount of damage to the recruitment of new members to fly fishing. A newbie walks into a fly shop knowing little, if anything, about tackle and walks out the door with an armload of new gear. The rod is a 5wt and the line says 5wt but he can't even hit the water with it. His arm hurts and he has line wrapped around his head. The line is a 5wt but the rod is really a7wt. The newbie can't feel what is going on with the line. He gets frustrated with the whole thing and sticks it in the closet and gives up. Somebody please explain to me how this is a good marketing strategy for the manufactures????

People are freaked out about the line ratings on rods. They seem to think overlining a rod is an insult to their ability and manhood. Rate a rod for what it is. If a guy wants a faster action rod to match their style underline it and if they want to slow things down a bit just overline it a weight or two.
With a standard, at least you know what your buying.

Just my 2 cents

Doug

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:18 pm • # 57 

All hail Doug! I have this argument at least bi-monthly here locally, and it does not ever change. A mid-flex (Orvis speak) rod will be close to the designated line rating, however, a tip-flex rod will be at least one line weight too light. You can see the bias here towards faster rods, and making that hero cast into your backing. In fact, that is what is taught here. To be a good fly caster, you have to be able to cast at least 50', accuracy be damned.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:43 pm • # 58 
Administrator

onemoredeer wrote:

If at all possible:

1. Test cast the rod (or finished blank) before you buy.

2. Talk to others (as many as possible) before you buy

3. Visit this board often for honest opinions Image

Doug

I think #1 is dead-on, but you have to be careful with #2&3. It's obvious that honest opinions run the gamut. When I started fly fishing I went to a fly shop that had a milk crate full of reels with dozens of different lines. The first couple of rods I bought from these guys were selected after casting each with 3 or 4 different lines--not just higher and lower line weights, but different manufactures and tapers. And this wasn't something I asked them to do for me--this is something they recommended I do. Everyone's style is different and what feels great to me might be unworkable for someone else. By the time I started building rods I had a large collections of lines, and could tell for myself which line weight I liked with which rod, and I have a few rods that I consistently fish two different lines weights on, depending on where I'm going.

Not to beat the TFO thing to death, and I know what the numbers say, but... (yes, you knew that was comingImage), I ordered the TFO 8'6" 5 wt and the first time I really cast it was when I fished it. A standard Cortland peach 444 in a 5 wt, and I was delighted with how well it cast. Nice tight loops and almost all my casts were 25-40'. I also have an Orvis Wonderline Power Taper 5wt, which is billed as a 5-1/2 wt line. When I use this line with the TFO if I get more than 30' of line in the air the rod feels over-lined to me. Could be that after years and years of Sage rods I'm just used to a certain action, or just that my casting stroke is totally messed up--who knows?

I have no doubt this rod could handle a 6 wt line and some people might like the feel of that better, but 5 feels perfect to me. And this isn't just because I happen to own a TFO and we defend the rods we own. It's a budget rod and I have no emotional connection to it. I have a Sage 5 wt that I would rather fish, but I still think the TFO feels great--especially for the price, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it--which is why relying on someone else's opinion is scary Image

If you want to properly condemn an entire line of rods from a single manufacturer then I think you need to go cast them one at a time a see for yourself if they each feel horrible at their advertised line wt. If your purpose is just to find a rod that you like for a good price then cast as many as you can and try several different lines. If you're in North Texas and want to try one out just let me know. I have the rod and 4, 5, and 6 weight lines in DT, WF, Trout Taper, Bass Taper, and Power Taper.

And one more data point; while in Colorado in October I had the opportunity to cast my brother's TFO Pro 7'6" 4pc 3wt at the same time as my Sage LL 7'9" 2wt. The TFO 3wt felt great to me and it cast beautifully in the 20-30' range with a DT3F line. In fact it compared very favorably to my Sage--almost embarrassingly so considering the price difference.

So there you have it. The entire scope of my experience with TFO rods--not much I know. I hope I haven't offended anyone--I just hate to see what appears to be a decent company trying to put out a decent product get unilaterally slammed.

Best regards,

Jerry

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:51 pm • # 59 

Jerry, have you cast any of their 9' 5wt rods? They are not 5wts. 8'6" rods are a dry fly rod, and thus are a little more limber. The 9' rods are sticks. I threw a 9' 5wt TiCr, and while comfortable on LONG casts, was abysmal under fifty feet. I do not see how that is enjoyable to fish for bass and bluegill with when they sit along the shoreline. LONG casts are not necessary to catch fish, in fact, I have never caught a fish on a cast longer than fifty feet, and I live in Kansas, and fish for trout in Missouri. Feel is an important aspect of this all, however, the problem is that the industry is making fly fishers feel that they have to be able to cast 90 feet of line or they are crap. Yeah, on a 9' 7wt Scott X2S I was casting 75 feet in a 30 mph wind. Was I having fun doing it? NOPE. I could not feel the rod load, unload or flex. I would like to see some parity between line weights and rod ratings.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:33 pm • # 60 
Administrator

flyflingerandy1 wrote:
Jerry, have you cast any of their 9' 5wt rods?
Nah Andy, I've only cast the 2 TFO rods I mentioned. I don't doubt that some of their rods are whacked--I just don't think the guys are dishonestly trying to sell an entire line of lousy rods, and some of the blanket statements made here might lead you to believe that. Both TFO's I tried cast very nicely in the 30' range with the advertised line weight.

I completely agree that long casts aren't necessary or the norm for the vast majority of people. Maybe it's because I suck once I get out much past 40' ;-) Like you, most of my casts are fairly short, yet I still prefer a faster action in a 4 wt and above (my Sage Smallmouth is the obvious exception). With UL it's a different story though--I love the full-flex action of my new 1wt, and frequently overline my Sage 2wt to slow it down a hair.

I guess the bottom-line is that you guys have experience with TFO's that suck, and I've had great experience with the 2 (different) TFO's that I've tried. So if someone were to ask our honest opinions regarding TFO they would be radically different. Hence, the only safe thing to do is cast the rod or buy it online from someplace that will let you return it.

On a slightly different note, I just boxed up the Ross Cimarron 1 to return it, and the Lamson Velocity should be here Friday. I look forward to being won over by the smooth drag :-)

Take care,

Jerry

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next   Page 3 of 5   [ 83 posts ] New Topic Add Reply