It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   Page 2 of 3   [ 49 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:36 pm • # 21 

Gary, you're fine. You don't have to worry about anything!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:21 pm • # 22 

I hope to catch a few carp on a 2wt this year. I plan on using a 2 or 3wt for wiper in the spring.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:08 am • # 23 

Good one.....finally a site where we can have fun using ultralit/lite tackle and exchnge thoughts and ideas and experiences, etc. without the know-it-all crap we've been taking on other boards...and, now someone had to stir the excrement and I can picture all the respondents to this in a big room swinging lite rods at each other for the last word.

All that's new is still the same....I'm outa here....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:32 am • # 24 

lol...Nah, lite rods are too expensive to swing at each other. We are just getting a firm definition. Discussion is a good thing on topics like these. What do you think?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:04 am • # 25 

I really think we all know what ultra-light fly fishing is; I just wanted to start a discussion about it; bottom line it seems to me is what are your individual thoughts on the matter. Discussion brings a little knowlege to us all; I think its more of a concept than a hard-fast set of rules.
If a person gets up in the morning to go fishing and the wind is gonna blow 30 knots, he might just take the spinning outfit; I know when i spend the money to go to the coast, i dont' sit around waiting for the wind to die down, I GO FISHING.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:19 am • # 26 
Administrator

If this thread goes south I really am going to be upset. I've had a rough two days over the whole Guad thread incident.
The definition of UL on this board is 000wt to 3wt. If you want to include 4wt's fine, I don't care. This forum is not intended to condone the use of 2wt rods for 20lbs carp.
That's just an example. I think that at least half the membership here fish for panfish, small bass, and the rest for little trout. That kind of fishing is the type that I envisioned when I created this board with Andy.
Now, lets keep it simple, friendly, and fun. Ya'll need to go out and fish.

J.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:31 am • # 27 

AMEN!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:47 am • # 28 

J...I would love to...Unfortunately, I don't own an ice shanty or a 30" long graphite rod...We got some snow yesterday and fishing isn't possible. Even our rivers have some ice on the surface.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:49 am • # 29 
Administrator

flyflingerandy1 wrote:
J...I would love to...Unfortunately, I don't own an ice shanty or a 30" long graphite rod...We got some snow yesterday and fishing isn't possible. Even our rivers have some ice on the surface.
Call me today when you get a chance.

J.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:57 pm • # 30 
4wt is right on the cusp for me. Anything below that is for sure an ultralight rod. I still love a 4wt though...just a good combination of different things for me. But I do fish with everything wt wise. I have had my most memorable experiences with a 3wt and that sold me on the lighter wts.
Janus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:51 pm • # 31 
Administrator

I think there are people who would visit here who consider a real soft 4wt as UL, and if they're civil about how they discuss a viewpoint, I think they should be welcome to bring forth what they like about their 4wt.

Les

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:15 pm • # 32 

I agree Les. Civility is the great thing about this forum!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:39 am • # 33 

I'm the new guy here and not a purist, so count my vote for what it's worth. I would agree that UL is a state of mind vs a quantitative figure. I overline all my 2 and 3 wts to give me the performance I want for UL fishing with bigger flies for bass fishing. I also own a 5'9" 4wt (redington) that is my shortest/ lightest weight, conventionaly built fly rod. I'd also venture that if someone took a 7' 5 wt out fishing for Bonita, it could be considered UL fishing ( if not foolish Image ). IMHO, the main thing is that it's UL to you!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:58 am • # 34 
Administrator

WeeHooker,
I like your response: UL is subjective in that many do over line the factory rated rod for close-in work. Custom builders like Jeremy or Don will select blanks which they feel suit their needs- some of these really light choices might challenge the rating system itself.

Les

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:57 am • # 35 

I can cast a DT3F with my Fenwick FF85. LOL

No kiddin'

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:07 am • # 36 

Bud...not quite what the rod was intended for, I am sure. Welcome however! Good to see you.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:24 am • # 37 

Same to ya Andy.....looks like you guys are having fun over here....By the way I just tried it a few minutes ago......I really can cast a DT3F with the 'ol plastic fenwick......further than I would have imagined too.

But hey......I have been messing with some old level silk fly lines on a Cane Rod made from the mid and tip sections of a South Bend 8 1/2 rod. I think the line is a level G. Does this count.......??????? Or do I need to go down to an H?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:36 am • # 38 

I'll bet you can get most of the line out with no wind on that rod, since it won't load until most of it is out anyway! Actually, the rod shouldn't load at all. The weight of the line is insufficient to get an 8wt to load without right at 120' of line out. Can you cast it? Sure. Can you cast it without watching your line? Nope. There is no feel. Your 5'8" or so cane banty should be a 6wtish. That weight silk line is great on some old cane! Show some pictures of that rod.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:25 pm • # 39 

To see what it felt like I stuck my Martin Mohawk reel lined with a 1wt line on my Fenwick FF806 (8' 6wt)...and cast the line. Was it fun?...No....I couldn't feel anything. Sure wouldn't fish the setup.

David

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:40 pm • # 40 

You sure it won't load?????? How about if only the first 10 inches loads.....will it cast then? Or does the whole rod have to load? Inquiring minds want to know....OK...I took a break to try something....would have never occurred to me to try this until today. I grabbed a couple rods and reels. Had a 4 wt and a 3 wt line. Also a Teeny T-130.

For test rods....a Fenwick FF85, generally considered to be a 7 wt, but I like it with a WF8. Also St Croix imperial 8 wt I got from Pearow...Thanks Gene, I love that rod. I felt it would have been cheating to use the JET 8 wt cause I think it will cast just about anything.

Anyway, The fenwick worked with any of the lines....actually cast the T-130 (which falls between a 4 and a 5) like a bullet, which is what I expect from a Teeny designed line. Because the fiberglass rod flexes well into the butt, it is able to generate quite a bit of power without me muscling the the rod too much. Now for the St Croix graphite.....this really suprised me. I was able to cast the DT3 and the WF4 pretty easily with just a well timed small tug of a double haul to generate a extra line speed....Talk about a tight zippy loop!

What do these results mean? Who knows.....Certainly not that an 8 wt is an ultralite rod...LMAO....But take out your light line and big gun rod and try it.......You may be surprised. It also may improve your casting and timing.....

And Andy....I am going fishing with Les in a couple of weeks.....I will recreate this experiment so he can verify that I am not full of ........

Adios....

Oh yeah....I think the SB will be more like a 4 when i get it done....It's big brother casts a DT6 like a dream. I am still trying to figure out how to do the handle......I may put a ferrule in it....so I can use the two sections with the origninal butt section if I choose....not too sure yet...

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   Page 2 of 3   [ 49 posts ] New Topic Add Reply