It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3   Page 3 of 3   [ 50 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:31 am • # 41 

I tried reading all the posts in this thread, but my ADD kicks in from time to time. So I find myself skimming through things. I really enjoy ultralight tackle--even with spinning and baitcasting tackle for bass, I use light tackle. One of the things though that concerns me with playing a fish for the lengths of time required with this tackle is...are we killing fish? I've never tried to catch a trout on 12x tippet (I'm not even sure if I know what that looks like if it is actually visible to the human eye) so I don't know what one has to go through to land a trout with such a fine tippet. But it seems to me that a fish would have to be played to utter exhaustion. I know we all revive our fish, but does the fish really recover from getting played that long and hard? Just curious.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:49 am • # 42 
Administrator

Sean,
I think the key to this is keeping the fish in the current as long as possible with a quick in & out for a photo.
As for warm water thugs that we find in slower creeks, rivers, and lakes, I gently move the fish in a back and forth motion to keep the gills in oxygenated water. I've never lost one this way even after a long fought battle.

Les

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:01 am • # 43 

Sean, the 12x does not kill fish. Improper fish fighting tactics kill fish. If you use a light, soft rod, like a one or ought weight with a smooth reel, you can land the fish like you could using 8x on your one weight. Back your drag all the way off and maintain a shallow rod angle letting the tip protect the tippet, and the butt fight the fish!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:27 pm • # 44 

Eveidently this is a fairly young groutp. It is not all that long ago that 6x was 1 lb test. I like to match my system so using a 12x on my normal flies, usually 16-20, is not required. I am part of another group that hs a story about tippets also. Horse hair tippet. http://www.uky.edu/~agrdanny/flyfish/ff ... yahair.htm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:17 pm • # 45 

Thats an amazing story! I could only hope to be so lucky. Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:34 pm • # 46 

pearow wrote:
dont know its break stength but walmart mono thread in the dark color is .0005 and the light color is .0006

Didn't read everything, but Coats & Clark Transparent Nylon Invis-Thread sold by MY Walmart is 0.004" and 0.006", making it 6 to 8 times thicker than 0.0006" [ but only 1.5 - 2.3 times thicker than 0.0026" ]

Not a case of " the only difference is Zeroes, and Zeroes aint' nuthin "

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:45 pm • # 47 

Hey y'all, a new guy here reading through old threads. Since the question was asked and I didn't see the answer, I thought I'd chime in. I tie pretty much exclusively with monofilament, and I get it in the sewing section at Walmart. I have no idea what the breaking strength of this stuff is, but it holds up to some aggressively tight tying on my salt water flies. The monofilament thread they stock at the Porter (Texas) Walmart is Coats & Clark brand. It comes in 300 yard spools in two colors; a very dark grey that's almost black, and clear. Most of the thread is .005" diameter, but I did find a couple of spools of .004" in the clear. The stuff is pretty strong; I've never broken it accidentally unless I nick it with the hook point or get too close with the scissors. I know the .005" won't lift a loaded 1911, which is in the 3 pound neighborhood. My trigger pull gauge is at the office, so I can't test it accurately, but I would guess it would test between one and two pounds, probably closer to one.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:50 pm • # 48 
Administrator

Hello hipshot! Welcome aboard. I grew up very near where you are (and have visited that Walmart way too many times).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:29 am • # 49 

CBarclay wrote:
Hello hipshot! Welcome aboard. I grew up very near where you are (and have visited that Walmart way too many times).

Howdy to you, sir! Thanks for the welcome; I really like the site. And if I had to guess, I'd say that the Porter Walmart is where all of those wacky "Walmartians" photospreads originate.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:17 pm • # 50 
Administrator

I think you're right! :applause

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3   Page 3 of 3   [ 50 posts ] New Topic Add Reply