It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   Page 2 of 3   [ 50 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:58 am • # 21 

Hey Pearow....Just back up on this thread to #14. That's the extent of it. It's not much but it is something and my intentions are to improve on it down the road.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:18 am • # 22 

well, keep on going down that road; very interesting and unusual hobby; kinda like bear hunting with a switch, or elephant hunting with a sack of rocks. I'm gonna try that on the bluegill this spring, but with all the vegetation in our southern lakes I'm afraid all its gonna do is start a fly collection frenzy among the gills.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:48 am • # 23 

Hey Pearow....Very very funny especially hunting bear with a switch.....Good points and funny to boot

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:12 am • # 24 
Administrator

Gene's got a million of those- so be carefull, with more praise you might encourage him. ;)
Les

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:50 pm • # 25 

anyone know how to test tippet strength? I'm wondering what is the test strength for walmart mono? We got some smart guys here on the website; some even went to high school; maybe ya'll could test the stuff and we'll have a "walmart tippet-big fish contest" with no lying of course............_P_

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:03 pm • # 26 

Gene, the only truly marked monofilament that you can buy off the shelf is Ande IGFA (not from Wally World). Others will be either too high or too low for their rated breaking strength.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:15 am • # 27 

I can barely tie on a 6x tippet with my old eyes, how in the heck could I do a 12x ? And why bother ? I don't get it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:24 am • # 28 

Welcome gearboy! Also...12x is a pain the butt to tie on, but I used a Davy knot and had no problems with it slipping or pulling out.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:59 pm • # 29 

Gearboy....Fishing with 12x is both exciting and challenging. First of all when fishing for bluegill and bass, using the ultralight tippet is really not necessary. However, at times especially in low water conditions and very selective trout, 8-12x tippet can mean the difference between catching fish and going fishless. I've seen this on many occasions in my lifetime. Please don't give me that old cliche that presentation is the key and tippet size really makes no difference.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:19 pm • # 30 

Well, RN...presentation...LOL...

I agree, but since I normally fish warmwater for bluegill, bass and creek panfish, if the water is REALLY low and clear, I will drop down to a 6x fluorocarbon tippet!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:24 pm • # 31 

Andy....I occasionally fish for warmwater fish, and quite frankly enjoy it, but not as much as trout fishing. Like you, 6-7x tippet is about as extreme one would need to go. Keep in mind when one is using 12x on the coldwater species size #22-28 flies are in order.

Last edited by rnwells on Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:28 pm • # 32 

I was tossing a #16 GRHE on 12x and swimming it slowly...I won't go into my feelings on warm vs coldwater fishing, but I like the fight of warmwater species more than that of a trout.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:51 pm • # 33 

Andy....That's a pretty big fly for 12x. I would think if you caught anything of size a breakoff would be in the making.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:40 pm • # 34 

Nah...I could swing it...LOL

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:33 am • # 35 

Andy...what's swing it mean.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:36 am • # 36 

I could do it. Those flies are a great size when the only mayflies on this lake are large flies or mosquitoes (technically a member of the diptera family).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:52 pm • # 37 

As a general rule I fish my ULs in winter, no winds to deal with. The fish are wary but pocketed up in known spots. I sight cast to them with nymphs and midges, usually size 24-28 with my UL 1# and 2# tippets. Most often on my 1 & 2wt Orvis rods. Floating lines, sinking furrled braided tapered leaders and short 2-2 1/2ft tippets. Water is usually 4-6ft deep where Im targeting.
Richard

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:11 pm • # 38 

Hey goldentrout....Your type of fishing seems similar to mine. However winter fishing in my neck of the woods is pretty tough. Not impossible, but for me the cold just doesn't seem to agree with me. I target trout in the warmest months of the year, when the water typically is at some of its lowest levels. When using 12x tippet 1.06 lt test, more than likely I use my txl 00wt with a special built softer butt section. This rod really rocks with full flex and softness. I might add that my current favorite reel is the Large arbor abel creek at 3.8 oz and 3" in diameter. However the width opening is only 5/8" so its a very skinny reel.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:30 am • # 39 

Hi rnwells,
Well we have several things working against Light Lines in summer. First and formost the turist traffic, both on land and in the river and lake, our river is a class 5 for rafting and such. they fly into Bakersfield, take a bus ride up the canyon, stay at the local motels and by the raft load are both up river and downriver from the lake below the house. As such, along with weekend campers filling all the riverside campgrounds, fishing accessable areas of the river for 25 miles below the lake and 40 miles above, all with road access and campsites, is just about impossible with fly rods. You litterally are dodging rafters every 10 or 15 minutes. The banks and shoreline is full of kids playing in the water and splashing about, the few areas you can walk to from those campgrounds are full of spin fishers elbow to elbow.
Next is the summer winds, Im located at the southeaster tip of the California end of the Sierra's. From the desert floor to our ESE and East hot desert air rises and comes over the lower mountain range to our east forming our little valley. Once that hot air starts to pour over the eastern range around noon the winds start picking up across the lake and river, the hot air rising up our western higher mountains, often the afternoon 1-5pm winds are a constant 15mph with 30mph gusts, during some extreme conditions we get gusts to 75mph. Around 5 or 6pm in the summer, the cool air from the high country starts to drive off the hot air as it decends our mountains into our valley to cool the lake and again keeps the winds up in reverse until the sun sets. Then its pretty calm and nice for the night. here on my side of the mountain the summer temps can get to well over 100 degrees during the day and drop to the mid to low 60s after the sun sets.
Third problem is that washout summer flow down the Kern River from Mt McKinley, often at such turbulent speeds that even the fish will drown. Most of the good fishing then is in the lake proper, and some of the controlled flow out the **** downriver. However with few exceptions the Lake in summer is full of wind surfers, skiers, etc, plus the few hardy fishers in some of the hidden coves. Their are one or two spots that its easier to wade however.
So Winter here is the only time when the turist are gone, winds are except for storm periods calm, and water conditions are usually low and slow. Cold yes, we were snowed in a couple of weeks ago for over 10 days. Power and phones out, not unusual for living up here, just 5 or 6 weeks early for us, usually around the end of January is our worst weather into February and can streach into early March sometimes. Anyway I mostly wade, not deep, usually just to have room to cast, so knee deep along the sandbars and gravel beds. We have alot of tree overhand. Plus I can move up river or down depending on if Im dry fly fishing or wet.
Water temp is holding pretty steady now up river at 38 degrees. Right now we are experencing some Indian Summer days, however usually its around freezing daytime and below freezing at night. Storm temps drop down below the teens with daytime temps in the low 20s. I fish every clear day I can. Good insulated wadders and wool clothing and I don't have to go to far from home.
I love the Sage TXL 00wt, my favorite UL actually. I gave my son mine a couple of years ago, so just purchased another 3100 at a closeout dealer along with the original Sage line. Hoping my local Sage dealer up here will have a demo for sale soon on the rod, seems the prices have really jumped on it sense it was introduced. Back then they were a few bucks under $500.
Normally I dont worry much about reels for ULs, I just liked the sage with the XLT, but always kept the drag at near nothing. Often I use one of my three Martin Tuna Can 61's for my 1 and 2wt rods.
Here's a picture after the last snow cleared abit, you can see the lake below my house
Anyway at least in winter I can fish my ULs for several months.
Richard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:37 pm • # 40 

I am a fan of Rio Powerflex and use the 7x regularly when fishing with flies smaller than size 20. This is pretty fine tippet at 7-8x and tends to kink somewhat, but performs as well as any I have tried in the smaller diameters. I have a spool of Rio 8x that is very difficult to use, but I have used it on occasion with a furled leader and dry with some success. Any extra force on a hook set usually results in a lost fish and fly though. In the end, I could not really bring myself to fish the 12x when 7x can reasonably be threaded on a #32. Maybe on a 0wt this is feasible.

Corey

Last edited by HouzeHead on Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   Page 2 of 3   [ 50 posts ] New Topic Add Reply