It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 31 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:45 am • # 1 
Administrator

In keeping with a couple other interesting polls that we've had recently, lets hear how much UL fishing you do. Don't be shy--everyone is welcome to discuss UL gear on this site regardless of how much of it you actually do. I think most of us fish heavier gear at times so jump in and vote!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:59 am • # 2 
Administrator

More than 95% for me. I did fish a 4wt a couple of times this year, but nothing heavier than that.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:21 am • # 3 

I have just fished my 83rd day today...some days were all day...some for only a 1/2 hour...I keep a journal, have since a kid, of what the weather was, equipment used, lures/flies used, fish caught, fish lost etc..this helps me to fish better the following years by looking up what happened on a particular day or time of year...anyhow...3 days baitcast/spinning....76 days 3/4 and under...4 days with a 6wt...I have not had a great year when it comes to my health and other life's problems...hopefully in the following months I will go more...I am in a slump right now cause of the heat...you guys will laugh...but some of my posts in my journal when it comes to fly identification are.."size 14, I think, dry fuzzy thing, "foam spider like fly"..."black beetle looking wet size 14" well you can see...hey, give me a break...6 months ago they were all fly like thingys...l am learning names...first I gotta learn how to catch them...then I will worry about fly names...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:54 pm • # 4 

80% to 95%, pushing the 95%. I DO occasionally fish a 5 wt in heavier cover & a 6 wt for steelhead, which I consider ultralight for them. The 6wt also comes out for tossing the large, heavy/bulky flies occasionally called for.
Mikey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:10 pm • # 5 

20-40% for me. Thats an improvement over last year, which was 0%. I believe it will be over 50% by next year. I still go over to the Darkside when I head out for must of my Stillwater fly fishing. I still throw a lot of 4-7wt stuff there. (I'm a sinner, I know)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:23 pm • # 6 
Administrator

David Gale wrote:
I still throw a lot of 4-7wt stuff there. (I'm a sinner, I know)
Not at all David. We're just doing this for fun and use what works for us. I have a very nice Sage 4 wt LL, a Sage RPL 5 wt, a classic Fisher 6'9" 5 wt, and a Sage Smallmouth rod, and I use them all occasionally, and might post about them on other sites.

If I were fishing different situations, having to cast larger flies, or losing huge lunker fish frequently, I might use them a little more, but that's just not the case for me right now. For the places I spend the vast majority of my time UL works very nicely and puts me in the > 95% group.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:32 pm • # 7 
Administrator

ohiotuber wrote:
80% to 95%, pushing the 95%. I DO occasionally fish a 5 wt in heavier cover & a 6 wt for steelhead, which I consider ultralight for them. The 6wt also comes out for tossing the large, heavy/bulky flies occasionally called for.
Mikey
Hi Mikey,

Which UL rod or rods do you use most of the time? If I ever get a chance to go steelhead fishing I'm pretty sure it'll be with something heavier as well. Image

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:36 pm • # 8 
Administrator

robgcp wrote:
"size 14, I think, dry fuzzy thing, "foam spider like fly"..."black beetle looking wet size 14" well you can see...hey, give me a break...6 months ago they were all fly like thingys...l am learning names...first I gotta learn how to catch them...then I will worry about fly names...
Hey Rob, it sounds like you're fishing the kind of flies I tie! I just kind of make them up as I go along. I recently tied some "foam spider like" things that don't look like any pattern you'll find in a book, and I have all kinds of "dry fuzzy" ones. Most of what come off my vise are dog-ugly but these poor starving fish around here don't mind them too much.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:14 am • # 9 

Half of my fly rods are UL , mostly are fiber rods.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:19 am • # 10 
Administrator

OK, it's honesty time. Image
For me 75% of the time. Betcha thought it'd be more. Yesterday I was out all day targeting bass on a kick boat throwing huge flies on an 8wt. It was great fun, very tiring, and I would go again if called.

But day in and day out I'll grab my 2wt and head out the door to go to the creek. I'll still feel 75% is high number, but there are occasions when I'll pull out a bigger heavier rod. I will still go to the coast in search of saltwater species and those fellas need a heavier non-UL rod.

UL is underrated, most folks who say they don't like it- have never tried it.

Les

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:46 pm • # 11 

For some reason, this showed me the results, but not the radio buttons to vote??

Anyway, for me it's about 70%. The closest water to me is a community put and take trout pond and the graphite 2w or 3w is perfect there. Very relaxing to fish a couple hours after work. Lately I've been tossing damselfly imitations. It is amazing how high those little fish will jump when attacking them.

Fyi, I seldom take. Even though they are meant for harvest, I release most of the fish for others to enjoy. I will keep an unusually large fish occasionally for a trout dinner.

Most other opportunities are taken with my 4w bamboo.

Jim

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:53 pm • # 12 
Administrator

nowindknots wrote:
For some reason, this showed me the results, but not the radio buttons to vote??
Jim, sorry for the glitch--not sure what that's about--about thanks for participating!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:54 am • # 13 

Yesterday I broke out my vintage Fenwick FF755 (7'6 5wt). First time I've fished it in months. I fished out of my kayak switching between the 5wt throwing big poppers and my Dorber 2wt throwing mini-buggers. The 5wt felt like a freakin' log!

I'm in the 75-85% range. I still love my Lami 4wt, but that little 2wt is so sweeeeet!

BTW, I'm still working out home computer issues. When I eventually get a new machine up and running, I'm planning on putting a Cabela's "Traditional" 6'6 2wt w/ tube up for sale or trade. It's just way too fast for me.

David

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:03 am • # 14 

More than 95% for me. The past summer I fished only two rods, my 3wt fly rod and an UL spinning rod. I fished the latter mostly because it is softer than my 3wt and more fun on the fish. Getting a small 0/1wt stick would probably help me end my heresy. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:24 am • # 15 

More than 90% for me. I fished with 4 wt once this year for about 10 minutes. 5wt - 8wt have not been pulled out of tubes this year. Toss up on glass 3wt and 2wt Finess with 0wt as a starting point.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:57 am • # 16 
Administrator

Pretty easy choice for me. I had a 5wt TFO earlier this summer but I sold that so I could come over to the lighter side a few months back. I'd like to add a heavier and a lighter setup to the mix but for me it's 100% UL, baby.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:40 am • # 17 

Somewhere between 20% - 40% for me, most years. Early spring fishing up here is stillwater Chironomids under an indicator - and I fish them with a 4wt minimum. Same with fishing Rainbows in the interior - I use nothing less than a 4wt as those stillwater triploids fight like no other trout you've tied into - two or more runs deeeeeeeeep into the backing are commonplace, and playing them with anything lighter than a fairly stout 4wt is unfair to such beautiful fish.

From fall through winter its spey rods for me - starting off with an 11'9'' 4wt for summer run steelhead, and switching up to a 12'6'' 9wt to sling heavy sink tips at the end of a skagit line for the winter runs.

If its summer and I'm off for a stream, though - its a 2wt that comes with - and its always aboard my pontoon boat on Vancouver Island stillwaters in case a hatch comes off.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:11 am • # 18 

I'm in the 20-40% range. I use my glass 3wt mostly for mtn trout fishing. Occasionaly I'll take it for creek bassin.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:23 am • # 19 

I fish in a range between 3 wt and 9 wt, glass and graphite. Sometimes its circumstance--I'm not taking a 3 wt to the coast--sometimes just my mood or wanting to fish a particular rod.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:18 pm • # 20 
Administrator

The results so far are very cool! It's interesting to see the fairly even spread we have between full-time UL guys all the way through to occasional users. I think it gives us a good balance of opinions.

Thanks everyone who has participated so far, and for those that haven't voted yet--please take a moment to do so. It's not necessary to leave a comment when you vote although you're more than welcome to do so, and your comments are illuminating as well!

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 31 posts ] New Topic Add Reply