It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next   Page 4 of 6   [ 111 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: The Frugal Fly fisherman
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:09 pm • # 61 

My photobucket went all screwy & I just cancelled it. I will re open, but that will be 2 days before the other account is fully closed. I'll repost once it is fixed.
MikeImage

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:58 pm • # 62 
I have a confession..I've been tying panfish flies on eagle claw size 10 baitholder hooks..50 cents a pack on clearance at Kmart. I'm a cheap man.
Janus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:03 pm • # 63 

Finally, here are the pics of my $5.00 rod storage system!
I was not the problem with Photobucket & neither was my computer. Adobe Flash Player 10 had some issues, so to post pics from Photobucket, I simply left click on IMG code, then go to my keyboard & Ctrl c to copy, then Ctrl v to paste.
This system may be used as I have used it, or on any wall (wherever Mama lets you! LOL), side of metal shelving or workbench'
Here are the pics:

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:31 am • # 64 

Mikey, very very nice sir! I love that idea.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:25 am • # 65 
Administrator

I like it- it's got me to thinking about something.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:07 am • # 66 

flyflingerandy1 wrote:
LOL...I am in the process of that Les. I need to track down some foam and some parachute cord.
For making lanyards, I've found some of the heavy duty, arge diameter shoe strings work well. You'll want to find one of those spring loaded cord checks they use on clothing drawstrings to connect the two ends. They hold securely, but provide a break away point if you accidentally get "hung up". You can find wooden/plastic beads in just about any craft store to use as spacers.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:22 am • # 67 

pszy, you gave away one of my secrets...I think I will prefer parachute cord better though.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:16 am • # 68 
Administrator

mikey,
do you use sticky adhesive to hold the velcro to the rod tubes? I am thinking of taking your idea and using it. On collectible tubes I would be reluctant to put the sticky adhesive side on a paper tube.

Les

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:53 am • # 69 

keebranch wrote:
mikey,
do you use sticky adhesive to hold the velcro to the rod tubes? I am thinking of taking your idea and using it. On collectible tubes I would be reluctant to put the sticky adhesive side on a paper tube.

Les
Les....Yeah, I would also avoid using it on paper tubes, however, you COULD leave the plastic backing ON the velcro adhesive side, overlap the velcro, draw it tight & glue it to itself.....either that or leave the backing on & just use it as a non-attached "strap" to press in place on either side of the tube when storing. Does that make sense?
Mikey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:04 pm • # 70 
Administrator

Mikey,
I've implemented your idea of using a cabinet with a few changes - i'll get pix tomorrow.
Les

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:12 pm • # 71 
Administrator

I think I'm going to use Mikey's velcro idea. I'll just put the velco on the side of the gun safe and stand the rods that are in rotation there. Right now they are cluttered in a corner.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:55 pm • # 72 

How's this for getting the most bang for the buck...I built a very short UL years back from the top 2/3 of a fiber glass blank. (4'4") I bought a cheap spinning cork handle with large black slip rings for it. I cut off 1 1/2" off the butt, made a fighting butt for a 5wt, turned the rest of the handle down to scale (7/8" OD) x 5 1/4" and made a down locking reel seat with a 3/4" hardwood dowell. I used a 7/16" piece of threaded aluminum reelseat I cut off a downlocking NOS reel seat and made two sliprings to hold my $9.95 no name 2 1/2" reel!! I'll post some pictures later. Image

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:40 am • # 73 

If you tie with alot of foam, craft stores and large chain stores with a craft section are a great place to pick up sheet foam very cheap. Usually a couple of sheets for a buck.

For applications requiring thicker foam, the dollar store is the place to go. You can get flip flops for a buck. They are made of a very tough long lasting foam

if you want a slightly softer foam, the foam soda can insulators also work well.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:40 am • # 74 
Global Moderator

If you have old glasses cases, glue some foam to the inside and VIOLA! you have a new small and in my case(seeing as I have had glasses as long as I can remember) almost free fly boxes. I use them for quick outings or when I want to go to the pond or river and not take a whole lot.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:54 pm • # 75 
Administrator

Peter,
That's a gret idea. After all, the idea is to re-use and not waste a container that we might consider as trash. It makes green sense.

Les

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:22 pm • # 76 
Global Moderator

another useless box post.

I was at walmart today getting toothpaste and such, and in the travel section were "soap" dishes for traveling that closed. they came in multiple colors and had a good snap system on them... to top it off they were .40 cents. I looked around in the craft section and had a 50 pack of 5" by 8" foam for 2.99. Came in multiple colors including pink, various greens, various browns and many other colors. I hit the jack pot today

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:34 pm • # 77 

pk, that is what I like to hear. I bought ALL of my local store's boxes that lock, flip open with 6 total compartments when they were $.75 each. I bought like 9 of them. One is being used.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:47 am • # 78 

this has probably already been mentioned in this very long thread but the old VHS boxes that hold the old VHS tapes are great for fly boxes; just glue a double layer of walmart foam in each side; their size make them especially attractive as bass bugs and streamer boxes; ther'es millions of VHS boxes out there; the secret is finding them before somebody trashes them.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:23 am • # 79 

Coffee stir straws make great nail knot tiers and I cant throw out a good Rx pill bottle for the life of me. Holds flies and keeps those small tying supplies in their place.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 3:50 am • # 80 

Hey Guys
Well I guess I ought to jump in here with this little money saving gem.
The next time you're at a Yard Sale and see an old shaving kit (they usually have them marked at .25 to .50 cents) snatch them up and carry them home to use as multi-reel bags/cases. They're great for carrying multiple reels on those fishing trips we all make.

Cheapskate Reel Bag

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next   Page 4 of 6   [ 111 posts ] New Topic Add Reply