It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6   Page 6 of 6   [ 111 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: The Frugal Fly fisherman
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:54 am • # 101 

I have to amass my tying material collection again. Roadkill catches a second look, as does the clearance aisle at Wal-Mart, along with the hardware store. Never underestimate Dollar General for storage ideas.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:23 am • # 102 
Administrator

Andy,
Don't forget to visit the Free to You sub-forum.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:42 pm • # 103 
Administrator

I certainly didn't think this one up--in fact I read about it in Gierach's Fishing Bamboo book about 10 years ago but never needed to try it until last week when Les and I were trying Pacchef's little 1 wt cane rod.

When I put it together I seated the ferrules firmly, like I always do, but when Les and I tried to take it apart the ferrules were stuck. Neither one of us could get it apart and it's a very light rod and could be easily broken by mishandling.

I remembered reading about the rubber inner tubes pieces in Gierach's book and ran out to the garage and found an old tube and cut a couple of 2" long pieces out of it.

You wrap a piece around the male and female ferrules and pull straight apart (no twisting on cane!). It worked great and required very little effort.

I now have inner tube pieces in my car, my vest, and my chest pack.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:00 pm • # 104 
Administrator

great one- work better than I had expected.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:47 pm • # 105 

Got a phone call from a friend...he lost his house keys...wife was out of town with the other set...locksmith wanted $75.00 to come unlock his house after hours...Due to a misspent youth, I learned how to pick locks and for some reason, just kept up with it...I went...3 minutes later I opened his front door...he was so happy...I got ready to leave and he handed me $15.00...all he had on him...I of course said no...he insisted...decided to go to wally world which was close and get some basic food stuff with the cash....I, of course, managed to go thru the fishing and hunting stuff first for some unexplained reason...Now, I have wanted for quite a while to get a rod/reel case for my UL equipment, but the prices were too high and I just used the tube I got them in...I walked past the gun cases...a 52 inch, cordoba with very soft material interior with a full length zipper...cost..$10.90 with tax...hmmmm...put in a piece to stiffen it up...a little sew job to put in a few soft ribbon tie-downs...and I can carry two of my rods...one is the 51" 2/3 weight which is one piece..and any one of the other 2 piece rods I own with the reels attached...I think I did good...now I can carry my fishin guns....safely and protected...and pretty darn cheap...and still picked up some breakfast stuff!!!

Last edited by jdub on Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:23 am • # 106 

Sometimes when we are out we overlook the fact that even if we are just back at camp we should protect our rods...This year I saw one guy put his Sage rod on top of his camper truck...It was a hot day and no telling what damage was done to that nice rod...Another fellow put his under the truck at lunch to keep it out of the heat...hopped in the truck and just missed his rod....I got to thinking...how about something simple to not only visually remember your rod..and protect it from the heat....Styrofoam pipe wraps...split up the middle, come in about 4 sizes in ID...large enough to slide your rod in and protect it from the heat...Large enough to see and support it you lean your rod against the tree, truck, etc...got myself one and it works perfectly...even if you hop in another guys truck for a quick shuttle...put it in the tube...cover the reel with a sock doubled over and put her in the back of the truck without worry of scraping etc...easy to put on...easy to take off...easy to see.....and cheap...less than 3 bucks to protect your investment in camp or in portage....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:04 am • # 107 

The wallyworld striping basket is a good idea. Just don't use a bright white one (or any bright color ) for spookie great lakes steelhead . I was useing one when I hooked a very large steelhead , every time I tried to beach it , it freaked out and bolted again.My pal Albert was laughing so hard he dropped his camera in the water

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:19 am • # 108 
Administrator

Flickfly wrote:
The wallyworld striping basket is a good idea. Just don't use a bright white one (or any bright color ) for spookie great lakes steelhead . I was useing one when I hooked a very large steelhead , every time I tried to beach it , it freaked out and bolted again.My pal Albert was laughing so hard he dropped his camera in the water
I'd agree, white is probably a bad choice. Welcome to the board by the way.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:01 am • # 109 

This is a little line winder I made to take your line off the reel and store it. Doing this removes the memory; a good project for the winter blues(I hope I havent put this up in an earlier thread; if so, I apologize-p-

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:31 am • # 110 
Administrator

good one!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:43 pm • # 111 

I was spooling up some new one weight line and I realized it was gonna take about a half pound of backing to fill the spool on my little Martin 61 reel. So, I had some 3mm foam sheets. I measured the width of the spool and cut a length of 3mm foam and wrapped it around the spool arbor tightly, securing it with a couple of drops of crazy glue. I put 100 yards of backing and the #1 line and filled the spool nicely.(actually had to put two strips of 3mm foam on the spool arbor). Anyway, its a frugal way to save 3-400 yards of backing , which you won't need on a 1 weight anyway-p-

'IF YOU CAN'T BE HANDSOME, YOU CAN STILL BE HANDY'-- Red Green

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6   Page 6 of 6   [ 111 posts ] New Topic Add Reply