It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 25 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:26 am • # 1 
Administrator

Okay folks, this comes up all the time, so my plan is to list *every* available fly reel that weighs under 3 oz. empty.  I'll compile all your posts when this thread dries up and we'll stick it in archives or something.  Having just bought this little 1.3 oz 6' Hardy rod (both very short *and* very light) I find myself doing the mental gymnastics of trying to remember every very light reel I know of because you pretty much have to have one on a short, light rod.

I know there are a lot of reels out there just over 3 oz but we don't want to hear about them here.  Under 3 oz. only.  If you know the exact weight and retail price go ahead and throw them in too.  I volunteer to look up missing specs when we're done.    

Art and Les, I'm going to need your help with some of the commonly *available* vintage reels (or anyone else who has this kind of info).

Okay, to start us out, from lightest working upwards:

Modern
  • J.A. Forbes Micro 1.25" -- 0.4 oz
  • J.A. Forbes Trico 1.25" -- 1.2 oz
  • Dennison Miniature UL -- 1.0 oz
  • J.A. Forbes 2" Avon -- 1.6 oz
  • Bass Pro White River UL -- 2.2 oz
  • E.F Payne model 95 -- 2.25 oz
  • Sage Click I -- 2.25 oz
  • J.A. Forbes Magnesium -- 2.3 oz
  • Sage Click II -- 2.4 oz
  • Dennison Ultra-Lite -- 2.4 oz.
  • Sage Click III -- 2.5 oz
  • J.A. Forbes 2.5" Avon -- 2.6 oz
  • Sage Click IV -- 2.6 oz
  • Hardy Flyweight -- 2.6 oz
  • Lamson ULA Purist (P.1) -- 2.75 oz
  • Loop/Danielsson Traditional Midge -- 2.75 oz
  • J.A. Forbes Aerial 2.5" -- 2.8 oz
  • Sage 3100 -- 2.85 oz
Vintage
  • Martin MG3 -- 2.75 oz

That should get us going.  Let me know what all I've missed.  You international members please pitch in too.  You may have some jewel-like reels you've been hiding from us Image

One very noteworthy brand I see missing from this list is Orvis.  I say this only because Orvis, along with Sage, has been a pioneer in UL with their excellent Superfine series rods.  I'd love to seem them offer some modern reels lighter than the very nice BBS I.

Also, speaking as one of the worst thread-hijackers around here Image, I'm going to moderate this one to keep it on track.  So if it starts to wander I apologize up front for whacking your reply or moving it to a new thread.

Thanks!!

Jerry

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:36 am • # 2 
Administrator

The vintage Martin MG3 is listed at about 2.75 oz.

J.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:57 am • # 3 

Forbes Micro 1.25" at .4 ounces; Forbes Trico 1.25" at 1.2 ounces; Payne Fly-lite 1.2" at 2.2 ounces; Cortland 60 at 3 ounces. Don

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 10:13 am • # 4 

Jerry,

I realize that prices vary widely, so that listing them is just a ballpark guess in terms of what a person might actually have to pay. (E.g., the Forbes Magnesium lists for $170. But it is currently available on eBay for $79.)

But I think prices should be listed next to each reel, because some of the lightweights are prohibitively expensive, and there are some really inexpensive alternatives you’ve overlooked, the category called “cane pole reelsâ€

Last edited by Charlie03 on Sat May 22, 2010 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 11:41 am • # 5 
Administrator

[quote="Charlie03"]I realize that prices vary widely, so that listing them is just a ballpark guess in terms of what a person might actually have to pay. (E.g., the Forbes Magnesium lists for $170. But it is currently available on eBay for $79.)

But I think prices should be listed next to each reel, because some of the lightweights are prohibitively expensive, and there are some really inexpensive alternatives you’ve overlooked, the category called “cane pole reelsâ€

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 11:54 am • # 6 
Administrator

Zenkoanhead wrote:
Forbes Micro 1.25" at .4 ounces; Forbes Trico 1.25" at 1.2 ounces; Payne Fly-lite 1.2" at 2.2 ounces; Cortland 60 at 3 ounces. Don
Don, is the Payne Fly-lite a vintage reel?  I looked on their site but only found the model 95 in the sub 3 oz category.  http://www.efpaynerodcompany.com/Reels.htm

Jerry

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 11:56 am • # 7 
Administrator

Also, I'm adding your reels to my original post as we go along, so don't be surprised to see someone mention a reel that already appears in my list. I probably added it *after* they suggested it.

Jerry

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:52 pm • # 8 

Vintage...Ryobi 255mg...2.4 ounces 35.00 to 85.00 depending (auction and private)

Vintage...Ryobi 355mg...Says 3 ounces...weighed mine at 2.8...your chice as to list or not 30.00 to 110 depending (auction and private)

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:56 pm • # 9 

Only thing I might add, there are alot of three ounce or under vintage and semi modern thermo plastic reels out there that are of decent construction, usually a simple click to control runoff, so for me at least the most critical question is what weight tippet are you using. I recently picked up a couple of Redington first start graphite click reels with rim control for added braking, think the price was $1.98 and they will work up to 5wt with limited backing and you can cut a cork arbor to bush them down for an UL and plenty of backing. Weight 1.2 oz empty.
When I fish my ULs Im usually using 1-2 lb tippets so these little cheapo reels fit in just fine! They were made for the kids to fish so they are pretty well made to stand knocks and bangs, yet with a little hot sause lubrication they are smooth running palming reels with quick removeable spools.
Originally I picked up a half dozen plus a half dozen Shakespeare two piece glass-graphite composite 6ft 4-5wt beginners fly rods for my four grandsons to learn with. The combo's are very low cost, and very survivable for first time young fly fishers, plus I have a couple of shares for accidents. However I was mush impressed by the light little reels, depending on your needs there are alot of low cost little reels out there to use with an UL rod and UL tippet. I much prefer spending my money on the rod, I think thats the key component in UL fishing, the reel is either functional or actually male jewelery, not necessarily needed but often desired and lusted after for no other reason than we like to show off our latest premium do nothing reel with our premium deluxe UL rod.
I think Im the only guy here that prefers my Martin 61 and 63 reels with my high end Orvis, Sage and yes even a 2wt bamboo rod! I spooled a nice minty Martin MG3 the other day to try on my 2wt rods, very classic looking, alas with a 1# tippet I broke off every hookup the next morning. Switched to a standard model 63 and had no further problems, plenty of backing to work the rod and bring to net wild trout to 3 pounds in the open water of the Kern River at the mouth of the lake here.
Point being I think the tippet on an UL is the final determining factor in reel selection, even if its only male eye candy, you need a reel with no drag really, just enout tension to keep the spool from running free, then play the fish with your line capacity, open water, and rod to generate what drag tension you need to turn the fish.
Just my thoughts,
Richard

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 1:10 pm • # 10 

Vintage Orvis CFO I and II (pawl) are under 3oz, but I don't have the numbers. The CFO II was very close to the Flyweight (within about 1/10oz). The Hardy Tealweights I and II were under 3oz, but not by much. Also the Lamson LP-1's and possibly the LP-1.5 lite. I can't remember about the Abel TR-Light. When I think of more (there are several), I'll add them, and will hopefully be able to nail down some actual figures. We might find some numbers in the "Click and Pawl" reel sticky on the fiberglass site.
CC

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 1:30 pm • # 11 

Hi CC, also for those on a budget Garcia via a Japanesse mfg made a Hardy fly weight clone, but with the twin palws and springs, it was only a tiny bit heavier than the actual Hardy, I have one and use it with a 3wt line, forgot that one.
It was called the GK-40 a great little Hardy Fly Weight Clone, used it with the 3wt line
alot with my Fenwick 535
Richard

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 1:32 pm • # 12 
Administrator

cross creek one wrote:
Vintage Orvis CFO I and II (pawl) are under 3oz, but I don't have the numbers. The CFO II was very close to the Flyweight (within about 1/10oz). The Hardy Tealweights I and II were under 3oz, but not by much. Also the Lamson LP-1's and possibly the LP-1.5 lite. I can't remember about the Abel TR-Light. When I think of more (there are several), I'll add them, and will hopefully be able to nail down some actual figures. We might find some numbers in the "Click and Pawl" reel sticky on the fiberglass site.
CC
I'll look for the number on the vintage CFO clickers, and the Hardy Tealweights.  Unfortunately, the little Abel TR Light that I just picked up is a hair over 3.  I can't find any technical info on the older LP Lite's.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 1:35 pm • # 13 
Administrator

flyfishing4goldentrout wrote:
Hi CC, also for those on a budget Garcia via a Japanesse mfg made a Hardy fly weight clone, but with the twin palws and springs, it was only a tiny bit heavier than the actual Hardy, I have one and use it with a 3wt line, forgot that one.
It was called the GK-40 a great little Hardy Fly Weight Clone, used it with the 3wt line
alot with my Fenwick 535
Richard
Do you have weights on those?  They look cool!

BTW, I have nothing against plastic in reels.  Most of the modern clickers use some kind of plastic in pawl--even the expensive ones.  And reels like the Dennisons are cool little reals that rely completely on friction to prevent overruns--no real drag at all. 

Graphite reels are great too.  If you have models and weights then please pass them along!  Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 1:35 pm • # 14 

Just rembered another, the Gati comes in either LHW or RHW, designed for ULs this one is RHW and this model weighs 2.75 oz
Finely made UL reels!
Richard

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 1:41 pm • # 15 

Heres one more, I sold this one to a forum member some time ago, its a precision made small diameter reel under 3 oz for UL rods   

I rarely sell tackle this is and was one of the finest UL reels Ive
every handled, alas its only RHW and pretty rare at that, weighs
way under 3 oz and a super find, Ive never seen another ever listed.
Richard

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 1:47 pm • # 16 

Hi Jerry, the little Garcia HK-40 with its twin pawls and springs is a heavy one, 3.0 oz if you take out the extra pawl and spring it will stripdown to 2.85 because you still have the stansons for the extra set.
Think I profiled the Aeon somewhere else here when some one asked the the exact weight.
Same holds for the Gati, I have posted them in strings here before.
Richard

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 6:17 pm • # 17 
Administrator

Gayle Simplicity#6 3.1 ounces .1 over but works well with modern reel seats.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 6:40 pm • # 18 
Administrator

Sorry Les, looks like we'd better start that second thread for 3.0 to 3.6 oz reels. I'm sticking with sub 3 oz. You know I'm serious when I don't even include my brand new gorgeous little 3 oz Abel in this thread :-)

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 6:44 pm • # 19 
Administrator

That's a good idea.
Let's start a second one for both categories so folks can gather facts if they're in a buying mode.

Les

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:00 am • # 20 

Jerry the Payne Fly-lite must be a rarity. I will compare it to the 95 and see if they are related. Don

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 25 posts ] New Topic Add Reply