It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 29 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:37 pm • # 1 
Administrator

Today I was working through recyclable ideas and solutions for one of my university sustainability department clients, and she has been on the search for imprint "spforks" - or combination spoon / forks. As a result of these efforts, I got to thinking about items which we commonly throw away, and so with some creative juices these items could be re-purposed to the sport of fly fishing. Already we have seen VCR tape boxes transformed into fly boxes with a little help from craft foam and adhesive, but surely there are more ideas out there.

So let's talk some trash: think about what's going to your landfill which might be better served in a new life on lanyard or as a lanyard. Can this thing hold flies? Can it cut foam? Can it be fished? Can it be used on a canoe, raft or yak?

Now let's have some fun...

Les

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:03 pm • # 2 

I've cut up those plastic multi-tongued comb document binder things into individual pieces, each with its own semi-circular tongue and used them as spool keepers to keep yarn and floss from unravelling. Also once made a pretty fair hair stacker from a Lypsyl container. Saved a block of closed cell foam about 2" high, cut a hole in it to hold my head cement bottle and stuck my bodkins in it. The perimeter edge makes a good place to stick flies temporarily while their heads dry.
I save leftover lengths of ABS pipe from plumbing jobs for making indestructible rod cases (or potato cannons).
Oh, and I bury fish carcasses/guts in my vegetable garden - does that count?
brent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:22 pm • # 3 
Administrator

Brent
That's a great start!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:32 am • # 4 

Well, old inner tubes make good leader/tippet straighteners.

Andy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:16 pm • # 5 

Small plastic bags that hooks come in, use to store individual spare leaders if you tie your own or furled leaders.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:31 pm • # 6 

I'm sure a lot of you have done this but, old Altoid tins make great fly boxes. Just add some glue and craft foam.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:33 am • # 7 

When I fish in salt water I use a large pill vial full of fresh water to hold the "used" flies I cut off and change. When I get back to the RV I rerinse and dry them before returning them to the fly box. They last longer and stay sharper that way.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:48 am • # 8 

Softhackle: yes! I forgot about that one. Plus, you can sand off the logo on the top, and write "Wheatley" on them. Impresses the hell out of the yuppies!
brent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:46 pm • # 9 

Put your elected (and not) representatives to good use:

Most campaign signs are corrugated vinyl/plastic, same sized, and pretty durable for their weight. Cut up for dividers, boxes. For tubes, fold long grain around door jambs; combine two for slip-expanding tubes. Clear packing tape can tack them into position for hot glue, or just wrap in tape and cover sharp edges with tape.

The best part is opposing parties get along just fine together.

Caveat: Wait until after the election to harvest this loot.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:57 pm • # 10 

hbmcc: Ah, so THAT's what politicians are good for! I suppose if you cut the tubes just right, you can use the slip-expanding tubes to make their noses grow longer! Plus, you probably have a great supply of tomato stakes, right?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:26 am • # 11 

Those campaign signs are primo target backers for you shooters in the gallery. Easy to staple targets to and they don't fall apart from moisture or bullet holes.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:09 am • # 12 

The cast iron weights from old wood windows make fine anchors.
I use beer and wine corks to make poppers and floats.
Recycled desiccant packs can be ground into fly drying powder and dispensed or dried in small plastic flip top spice bottles.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:39 pm • # 13 

I have a Master's degree in junkyard recycling. The home general throws stuff in the garbage while I am sleeping to prevent me from grabbing it for some "future" use. Here's a few tidbits(most of which were thought up by someone else)
an old coffee grinder/blender/etc. makes a good dubbin mixer
an old can opener (motor) will make a fine rod turner/fly turner
old metal clothes hangers can be made into really useful fly tying tools
a large sewing needle inserted into a bottle cork makes a nice boykin, tool for cleaning hook eyes, etc.
old rotisserie motors make good fly/rod turners
old thrown away spice racks/bottles can be used for fly storage/fly material storage.
an old broken rod can be saved to make many useful items: deerhair packers, hook removals,
cut small lengths out of old rods to use to hold fly material out of the way while tying
etc,etc,etc,-p-

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:13 am • # 14 

my personal fave- the bag come with the portable fold up chairs make great rod case carriers
and
the plastic lunch bags that we use - when they are no longer serviceable stil work fine for carrying stuff in a kayak or boat. I also use them for carrying my stuff when surf fishing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:55 am • # 15 

I'm sure that you folks have seen these? www.recycledwaders.com
Mike B

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:49 pm • # 16 

Another Altoid idea - I punch a hole in the lid and put dubbing, so I can pull it out a pinch at a time. Dental Floss containers also work. I have a Tic Tac or some such container that you push a button and one comes out - I use that for my beads.

I have a neat book that lists hundreds of such tips: "Revised and Enlarged Fly-Tying Tips" by Dick Stewart.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:33 pm • # 17 

wheezeburnt wrote:
Softhackle: yes! I forgot about that one. Plus, you can sand off the logo on the top, and write "Wheatley" on them. Impresses the hell out of the yuppies!
brent
:lol :lol :lol :lol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:46 pm • # 18 

Y'all are just brilliant, some killer ideas, very clever.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:34 am • # 19 

While this was bought for a specific reason (not it's intended purpose), so I don't know if it qualifies, but it did save me a little bit of money...

I purchased 5 of those hard plastic pistol cases, pulled out the foam, added my own foam with adhesive, cut slits lengthwise throughout on each side, and use it to store all of my flies (my own "guide" box). I have one just dedicated to streamers, one for all saltwater, one for trout (both nymphs and dries), one for bass, and one empty that I've done nothing with as of yet. They work very very well, stack nicely. WHen I go fish, I'll have it in the truck, pull out what I need for the day (if it's not already in my box that's with me) and go fishing. It ended up costing me less than $10 per box.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:52 pm • # 20 
Administrator

randy,
That's a good one - do you have photos of what you made?

Les

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 29 posts ] New Topic Add Reply