It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 6:29 am • # 1 

got old neoprene waders? i finally wore out my 3mm. i loved them and bought another pair from that big C box store, but what to do with the old ones?
well, i love to wet wade rivers for smallies in the summer. i use neoprene booties with wading boots/ booties are comfortable to walk in so i measured out the foot portion with a pair of socks and cut a pair of booties from the old waders. saved 20 bucks. I also saved the wader straps and buckles as they fit my new waders . plastic breaks and it is good to have a spare.
you can thank me now lol.
tight lines.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:32 am • # 2 
Administrator

Skunked
Those are great ideas!

I have a re-purposing solution for the remainder of the material- cut up in squares 6"-8" and you have a reel mat, or cut into a larger piece and you now have a changing mat to stand on when gearing up.

Les

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:52 am • # 3 

perfect - i am going to do that exact thing
also use the neoprene mat in the bottom of a canoe or yak to dead the sound.
Great idea= thanks

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 10:12 pm • # 4 

The toe part of neoprene waders make good reel cases. Attach some Velcro to the part that going to be the flap and voila! Better that spending $6 to $11 bucks on a reel case. Adios Philip

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 10:16 pm • # 5 
Administrator

Phillip
Good catch on that idea

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:24 am • # 6 

I'm a newbie here so catching up on all the posts. I made a pair of old neoprene waders into winter under pants for wading in lakes when it is real cold. work good even though a bit hard to get waders on over pants as they add bulk, but they keep me warm. I cut them above the waist and added elastic loops to keep on my feet.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:50 am • # 7 

I cut the feet off to use for wet wading socks in the Summer.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:51 am • # 8 

I make hip waders out of mine when they start to leak(which is usually around the crotch area as I am prone to crawl thru a bobwire fence)-p-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:29 pm • # 9 

Great ideas!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:39 pm • # 10 

Reviving an old post but a lot of good suggestions here.
I use knee pads a lot to protect my knees because I crawl around on stream cobble trying to keep a low profile, and kneel down to photograph and release fish from the net while keeping them in the water. The knee pads often slip down when walking or crawling. Teton Tenkara has a "More Knee Protection" article. I am going to try some of the Rothco Neoprene Shin Guards but they are bulky and heavy. The "wader gaiters" sound like they can work well to protect breathable waders or your legs when wet wading from the shins to up over the knee but are darned expensive if you can find them. Seeing this article made me think of something else I could do with old leaky neoprenes.

You could use the legs of old neoprene waders to make "wader gaiters". You might be able to use them by just pulling up over the legs or breathables. But probably best to make them adjustable by cutting them lengthwise and adding some 1" elastic straps with velcro per the pic in the article.

You'd still have the feet for reel cases, the thigh section for reel mats, and the body section for a changing/canoe mat!

BTW, I frequently use old and patched guide weight neoprenes rather than breathables when winter saltwater fishing in the PNW for Sea Run Cutthroat and Resident Coho Salmon. Besides the warmth, it saves my breathables from barnacles, and salt that can degrade stitching. But I think I'll ask around the fly club for neoprene cast-offs :) .

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply