It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:08 pm • # 1 

Decided to make a double altoids fly box. Epoxied two boxes together so the doors open on opposite sides. T hen drilled three holes. One thru the bottom of the boxes, and one thru the side of each box. I then ran a piece of small paracord thru the holes and made a loop. Created a template and cup the foam. I ran 1/4" spaced slits thru both pieces of foam. Managed to get 8 slits in each. Supper Glued the foam into the boxes and ran electrical tape to hide the seam.
Installed two micro shackles that I picked up at Hobby Lobby to my zinger thing that I had sitting in my tying bench. I ran the loop of the box thru one, and my tipped holder to the other. The tippet holder is a knitting needle that I acquired from the wife. She will kick my but for it, but I cut it down to fit a 110 yrd spool of 4, 6, 8, 10lb FloroCarbon and a wine cork to dry the flies. Its set up for the white bass run her in TX. All flies in the box and can and have cast with my 3wt BVK. What do ya think?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:05 am • # 2 

Altoid boxes are all I use for keeping my flies but I don't glue the foam in. I just trace around the box and cut it to shape. That way it is a little larger than the inside of the box so it is a pressure fit when placed in the box, andI can pull the whole thing out if I want to dry out some damp flies. I paint the lids different colors for whatever I've got inside: dries, nymphs or wets, streamers. I even have one of the smalls tins which I use for the smallest flies.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:54 am • # 3 

excellent frugality!!!-p-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:59 am • # 4 

These are GREAT! I love that sort of repurposing. As an added bonus, it flies firmly in the face of the high end brand name labelling we see on so much fly fishing gear. I mean. Sage makes rods, and darn good rods from what I hear, so proudly label that rod. But a company that is famous for, say, rods or flies or reels doesn't need to be putting their name on fly boxes that are stamped out in some factory on the other side of the globe. Gives them cachet; doesn't give them quality.
Now, to complete the picture, I think you should cash in on another trend from a decade or so ago, and add a paraphrased quote from that famous 'fly fishing movie'. In the case of an Altoids box, I'm suggesting "I am haunted by mucus".
Brent

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:41 pm • # 5 

Thanks for the excellent posts. Assume Altoids boxes don't rust; don't see any rust in the pictures. Never bought an Altoids in my life
but when I see one in the trash I'm making a fly box.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:11 pm • # 6 

I guess I need to stop using them to make char cloth for fire starting.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:25 pm • # 7 

Nice! I use altoids tins for fly tying: I use a paper punch and punch a hole in one, load it with dubbing, then pull the dubbing out from the hole, a bit at a time. Works great. I also use old 35mm plastic film containers for that. I even have used little one-time plastic containers that you might get sauce at a restaurant for takeout. They usually hold a couple tablespoons of ketchup, etc., and will have a top available. They're cheap, but they don't really need to take a beating at the fly table, so some have lasted five years and counting.

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply