It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 31 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: cheap rod cases
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:29 am • # 1 

This may have been already discussed but I have made several rod cases from old
pvc pipe and caps bought at the big box hardware store.
You can usually get a pvc pipe from someone at a job site- they just throw the stuff away , clean it up, cut it to size and buy two caps for 3 bucks.
Lets face it- they are not pretty but do the trick. If you look at the catalogs- the rod cases sold with the green covers are just pvc pipe with a cover.

Post subject: Re: cheap rod cases
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:13 am • # 2 

Yeah, but the fish like the pretty rod cases better than the ugly PVC ones. :lol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:43 am • # 3 

... but you can address Cliff's concern by ordering some decals from Sage or Orvis, etc online. :lol

I've done a similar thing, but using the black ABS and adding a screw cap to the top. And I can also attest that your best fishing buddy can accidentally drive over the ABS rod case with his F-150 stretch cab 4x4 without damaging the rod, so long as the ground is a bit soft. :eek Not sure the PVC could handle this. Best try it on someone else's rod.

I built a case out of 4" ABS for air travel carry-on; holds three or four 4-piece rods in cloth cases. I've only used it in fairly low-key airports and in Canada (like where I live and where I was going); I have no idea how it would be regarded by airport security in larger centers.
brent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:27 pm • # 4 

". but you can address Cliff's concern by ordering some decals from Sage or Orvis, etc online." :lol

Nope, the fish I catch like St. Croix decals the best. I have a few I'll be glad to sell at a discount rate. :P

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:46 pm • # 5 

Cliff: what kind of lowbrow fish would settle for a St. Croix decal? Might as well stick on a Zebco sticker and be done with it. :lol

In the spirit of your irreverent approach to our sacred sport, I keep a Popeil Pocket Fisherman in my truck for those times when my fellow anglers get a little too full of themselves. Man, that thing can throw a 2 ounce red and white Dardevle spoon like nobody's business. (but only when the appropriate hatch is on, of course.) :lol :lol
brent

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:08 am • # 6 

Brent, I've never seen any two-ounce larva hatching in the places I've fished. Y'all must have some HUGE bugs up there!! And HUGE fish to eat them!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:51 am • # 7 

Cliff, when the Dardevle hatch is on, nobody travels across the water at anything exceeding 2 knots because the big, red, airborne adults have those two horns sticking out of their head, and a fellow can lose an eye. About the only thing worse is when the Panther Martins hatch out and start mating about 5 feet off the water, in the middle of the lake. Take the windshield out of a bassboat.
brent

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:56 pm • # 8 

I'm a cheap old codge so I've been using pvc for a while. The black pvc looks the best but man, they have raised the price. Electrical pvc is gray, which gives a different color choice. I've been painting my thin wall white pvc with the plastic paint they sell at wally world. It sticks pretty good if you wipe the pvc down beforehand with acetone although it will chip pretty easily. I paint it and use duct tape on the bottom so I only have to buy one cap which saves a little! (Cliff is gonna laugh when he reads this because he knows how frugal I am!!!)-p-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:26 am • # 9 

Yep, cheap, er frugal, that's Gene!!! :rollin :rollin :rollin Gene, I'll have to send you a St. Croix sticker for your rod case, then you'll catch more fish.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:28 pm • # 10 

I've been buying bunch of Sharpes bamboo and since they don't usually come with a tube I've been going the PVC route. Only problem I've had is caps get hard to take off if put on to hard. I've started using Oatey pressure test caps on the top of tube for easy entry. They loosen and tighten by a wing nut on top of the cap. Buy them at Lowes and Home Depot in the plumbing departments.

Barry

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:01 pm • # 11 

I went the PVC route for my Cabela's Prime rods - and had a hell of a time getting the end cap off after a fishing outing a couple weeks ago. I gave the cap a little tap to seat it when I put the rod away stream side. When I got home and wanted to take the rod out to dry...took my wife's help to secure the tube while we both reefed on the cap to get it off. Might as well have been glued on. Thinking about drilling a hole in the end to alleviate pressures but not sure if that would work as intended or not.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:23 pm • # 12 

mmckenzie:
As I say, my experience is exclusively with the ABS black pipe, but I have had that same problem. However, since I started adding a bit of twine to hold the cap to the tube while not in place, I've found the problem less so. I drill a hole in the center of the cap and a hole through the tube about 1.5" down. I poke the string through the tube hole and tie a double knot and trim. Then the string goes through the hole in the cap, same knotting treatment. Leave enough line so the cap can come easily clear of the tube. Then, soak the knots in epoxy or superglue or some such to keep them from untying. It seems as though that little bit of air that leaks through the holes helps with the release. I used decoy line for the string.
The other choice is to use screw caps, although I don't know that they are available for PVC.
brent

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:35 pm • # 13 

I bought an Orvis graphite rod tube at Sierra trading for my custom TXL-F 2wt. that I got from Sagebass. I got it on sale for $14.00. Beats pvc and to me is still in the cheap range. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:12 pm • # 14 

I've made up several PVC rod tubes and the screw on caps are available. I had that same problem with trying to remove a stuck on cap.

Larry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:47 pm • # 15 

I've got 2 cases with screw caps but I lost both screw caps and now I can't find any black 1-1/4 screw caps-p-

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:01 am • # 16 

pearow wrote:
I've got 2 cases with screw caps but I lost both screw caps and now I can't find any black 1-1/4 screw caps-p-

Well, I guess that you're screwed, huh Gene? Or maybe unscrewed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:35 am • # 17 

I note most folks here are using PVC rather than ABS. Do any of you have specific reasons for that choice?
brent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:16 am • # 18 

wheezeburnt wrote:
I note most folks here are using PVC rather than ABS. Do any of you have specific reasons for that choice?
brent

Price and availability mostly.. I picked up some pipes from an irrigation company that have the thinnest walls, 6 or 8 1 1/2" X 8' for $20 with an end cap for each. these are very light and feel like the type used with the cloth covered tubes. Almost scary light, i'll use to store in but something heavier to transport in.

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:26 pm • # 19 

Joe C wrote:
I bought an Orvis graphite rod tube at Sierra trading for my custom TXL-F 2wt. that I got from Sagebass. I got it on sale for $14.00. Beats pvc and to me is still in the cheap range. :)
Those are great. I bought four when they had them last year.

Last I looked, they still had them, but the length selection was small.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:14 pm • # 20 

I prefer the Oatey Caps with the wing nuts, but to help with regular pvc caps I take a grinder and cut a few slots in them. They are still secure on the tubes, but come off much easier.

Barry

Last edited by GRASSNGLASS on Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 31 posts ] New Topic Add Reply