It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: CHEAP POPPERS
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:15 am • # 1 

Everybody who fishes for bass needs a few of these cheap poppers. All you need to make them is a hook, a small bottle cork, some red tying thread, a wisp of squirrel tail, a bottle of silver or white fingernail polish you can steal from your wife, daughter, or significant other. These look like a fleeing shad minnow to the bass and they will attack it like I attack a fried pork chop! You can buy 25 of these corks from net craft for less than 3 bucks; any hook will do if it has a hook gap wide enough to hook a bass. Try em; you'll like em! I catch about as many bass on these as I catch on the fancy poppers with eyes, legs, hackle, etc. KISS; keep it simple!(and cheep!)-p-

Post subject: Re: CHEAP POPPERS
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:18 pm • # 2 

Thanks for the tip, great idea

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:41 pm • # 3 

I like how your popper maintains the hook gap. I have some store bought ones with the hook through the center of the cork, creating hookup issues.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:21 pm • # 4 

Gene, you could also get cork from wine bottles, but you buy the bottles with screw tops or the boxes of wine. :lol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:26 pm • # 5 

Nice design. What size hook are you building those on?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:57 pm • # 6 

I think that the hook is a #6; I generally build them on #6 or #4. Sometimes you can catch some large brim on the #6 as well as bass. Net craft has several sizes of bottle cork and I generally buy one bundle of each size except the largest, which I never use. I then match the size of the cork to the hook size. These poppers have little wind resistance so you can cast a #6 or #4 on a 3 weight-p-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:49 pm • # 7 

Thanks pearow. I plan on doing a lot more bass and blue gill fishing this year. I'll add these to my fly box.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:12 pm • # 8 

Have you covered the flip-flop poppers?

Sent from my LGL31L using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:13 pm • # 9 

Flip-Flop Popper

Sent from my LGL31L using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:10 pm • # 10 

good one, Mr. day!-p-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:44 am • # 11 

excellent - thanks
I go bass and bluegill bugging every weekend from mid may until end of season. We use those poppers that you get at 6 for a couple of bucks. size 8 and 10.
I add yellow or white paint to the dark colored bugs.- in fact Mr Bill Tapply - the great writer said in his book on bass bugging, the light color on the bottom mimics what bass see- white belly or yellow belly works. bass are always looking up for a meal. they see a light color in the belly of their prey.
The cheap poppers in size 8 take a lot of abuse.
Also- when the tail finally give out- I just tie on some feathers and we are good to go again.
here is a tip for those who live in southern new England- the store bennies often puts their poppers on sale in september for 1/2 price- 6 for 1.50 or so.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:33 pm • # 12 

I tied up some more cheap poppers; instead of using squirrel for the tail I used all flash. Went out this morning and tried them. I got lots of strikes but I could not hook a fish; bet I lost 15-20 bass and brim. Those I saw were pretty small; those I didn't see were probably giants!!!!!!! They would just come up and suck it; no splash at all. I got so frustrated. Hooks were sharp; hook gap was fine; some of the lost fish was due to slack in my line but maybe the fish were hitting the flashy tail instead of the popper. I would have them on for a couple of seconds; then bye-bye. Anyway, I finally caught one;got the skunk smell off and immediately cranked up and went home. ( I was fishing the dam area on Lake Athens)-p-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:44 pm • # 13 

Excellent idea, using flash. I've caught bass on flash streamers. Bet they cast well.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:03 am • # 14 

that is one of the main reason to just have cork and tail on popper; less wind resistance hence they can be cast on lighter rods; plus they work-p-

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ] New Topic Add Reply