It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:16 pm • # 1 

I am getting ready for some streamer fishing. I wanted to buy 100 yds of 2X tippet. I've been simply tying on 3-4 ft (mono or fluoro) to my fly line and have done real well.

I'm starting to think about sinking $9.95 when I noticed $0.94 for 100 yds of 10 lb mono at WalMart. The spool is small and will fit on my sling pack fairly well.

Has anyone out there tried using monofilament in place of tippet with any luck? I figure at $0.94 vs $9.95 it is worth a try.

Think my biggest challenge it to keep it from uncoiling on it's own. Will try to adapt one my old tippet elastic wrings to help.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:00 pm • # 2 

Hello. Here's a thought, I just returned from a 3-day trip where I landed nine 20" Rainbows, but broke off several at the leader-tippet connection; most breaks were on the leader. I suspect it was due to using old leaders. 10 lb is pretty stout but getting a 100 yard spool of mono might not give you as much value as you think you'll get, unless you use a LOT of tippet.

I could be wrong but I believe flouro does not weaken over time as quickly as nylon does and I do use a 200 yd spool of Maxima 6 lb flouro for adding 6' to 12' of tippet to 9' mono leaders when fishing chironomids in lakes.

I've made "tippet spool keepers" out of a short piece of elastic with a small button sewn on in the middle. Put the elastic over the spool, run the tippet through a hole in the button and it works like a Rio spool.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:42 pm • # 3 

I use it all the time. I have stren floro in 10,8,6,and 4 all on 110 yard spools on one tippet post. Then I also have 10-4 Trilene XL in the 110 yard spools. I generally use a 5 1/2' twisted leader that ends in a tippet ring, and depending on what rod I am using length wise I add anywhere from 3-5' for my tippet to the first fly, and 12-18" to my dropper. The mono does weaken if exposed to sun after awhile, but for .94ยข when it starts breaking replace it. And if you are keeping it inside your pack instead of exposed on a tippet post outside it shouldn't be an issue.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:51 pm • # 4 

Same here. I've used the 96 cent walmart spools of mono to make leaders. I've started using Stren recently.
The 96 cent spools have a keeper. I also use a piece of adhesive tape to keep the line from uncoiling.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:08 am • # 5 

All I use for leaders is straight mono. The only time I use tapered leaders is for cold-water trout fishing, which I rarely do anymore. In warm water fishing for bass, bream, catfish, crappie, stripers, smallmouth, etc., the fish don't care what your cast looks like, nor do they care if the fly hits the water with a splash. In fact, they are attracted to a splash in the water thinking it might be food hitting the water, i.e. a dragonfly, bee, frog, etc. I don't have trouble with my flies turning over, either.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:38 pm • # 6 

Nothing wrong with mono, keep it out of the sun and it will last you for years.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:14 pm • # 7 

Cliff Hilbert wrote:
All I use for leaders is straight mono. The only time I use tapered leaders is for cold-water trout fishing, which I rarely do anymore. In warm water fishing for bass, bream, catfish, crappie, stripers, smallmouth, etc., the fish don't care what your cast looks like, nor do they care if the fly hits the water with a splash. In fact, they are attracted to a splash in the water thinking it might be food hitting the water, i.e. a dragonfly, bee, frog, etc. I don't have trouble with my flies turning over, either.

I've been suspecting what Cliff said about splashing the water is true for a few years now, based on circumstantial evidence of course (but consistent circumstantial evidence).

I use straight mono but taper the leader as I find a tapered leader delivers a better cast, for me, depending on the wind. If the wind is at my back then the taper doesn't matter.
When I first started fly fishing all we used were popping bugs (we had never even heard of a tapered leader); we never had a problem delivering popping bugs and that was with one handed fly casting, the other hand being used for sculling.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:37 pm • # 8 

Supporting what Cliff and Jim wrote, I was watching a tenkara video the other day and one of the Japanese masters was explaining that you want the fly to hit the water first and hit it hard enough to draw the trout's attention. He stressed that a gentle landing, of the fly, was not what you want. of course with tenkara only the fly and tippet ever contact the water.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:55 pm • # 9 

I remember a creek I used to fish where one day I moved into an area that looked really good, but I couldn't see a fish moving anywhere. I started with my usual cast with the popper landing softly. Nothing. I remembered my father in law telling me once that you could bring crappie to the boat by slapping the water. Seemed somewhat counterintuitive, but what the heck, worth a try. I started slamming the popper on the water and bass and sunfish seemed to converge from all directions. By the time my buddy caught up to me I had caught about six and the feeding frenzy was dying down. Doesn't always work, but sometimes it does.

Larry

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:35 pm • # 10 

for spool savers, go to the girly walmart section and buy the little "stretchies" they use for pony tails; cheap and work well-p-

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:52 pm • # 11 

pearow wrote:
for spool savers, go to the girly walmart section and buy the little "stretchies" they use for pony tails; cheap and work well-p-

Gene, I'd use those for my ponytail but I don't have enough hair for one. :lol

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:46 am • # 12 

Tippet is usually mono anyway. Unless its specifically marked as flourocarbon. Nothing wrong with using generic mono. For streamers I run a two section leader 3-6 foot long depending on the fly and type of line I am fishing. I used to only use floaters but now usually fish sink tips or full sinkers with lighter flies. Typical streamers I fish are size 6 to size 2/0 so my leader is a 25 or 30lb butt section knotted to 12 or 15 lb "tippet" - I will say that I tend to go with flouro more now due to its abrasion resistance vs mono. Red label Seaguar is what I use from the 300 yd spool. But I will also use stren or Trilene if thats what I have. Streamer eating fish don't care one bit.

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply