It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next   Page 3 of 4   [ 78 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:37 pm • # 41 

"Should I bring the Brain Bleach?"

No need, old Cockaroo has been dead for a few years now. However, if you have the bleach handy you can google "Castell general store rooster". :eek

As I mentioned there is good access to the Llano up and down its length, and because it is one of the most remote of the Hill Country rivers, you will only occasionally encounter another angler on the river, especially during the week. Our temperature has been running around 9 to 14 degrees Fahrenheit the last few days which means I haven't been outside very much. Also this afternoon I underwent cataract surgery on the right eye, so I will stick pretty much to the house for the next few days. I can hardly wait for May to get here. I have been reading from the Flyfisher's Guide to Texas by Phil Shook and Flyfishing the Texas Hill Country by Kevin Hutchinson just about every day. I have been checking mileage from one area to another. I have been watching YouTube videos for flies I might want to take with me. I have been ordering flies that I don't want to have to tie myself. Now don't get the idea that I might be a tiny bit obsessive-compulsive; not at all, just being prepared as an old scoutmaster should be.

Larry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:26 pm • # 42 

I plan to come in on May 15, because I don't want to drive nearly 400 miles to just fish for a couple of days. By coming in early, I want to range a little further afield. I have been reading up on other rivers in the area. I definitely want to run over to Pedernales Falls State Park and fish that area for a day. Other choices might be the Sabinal or the Nueces or Upper Guadalupe. I figure most people won't arrive before Friday the 18th, so I can get in a couple of good days fishing before most people arrive. I know Jim has the same idea, and he is coming in on the 15th also. Anybody else planning on coming in early?

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:11 pm • # 43 

I just talked to Ralph, and he has also made reservations and is coming in on the 15th. Looks like there is going to be an early bird crew getting in some exra fishing time.

Larry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:38 pm • # 44 

Kewl! Call or text if you need to get hold of me; we have no internet at home and I have no idea how long that'll last.......

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:11 pm • # 45 

Got internet again. Woo hoo!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:10 pm • # 46 

Yeah, my computer was screwed up by a virus a couple of years ago. The week it was in the shop getting cleaned up was a week where I felt like I had fallen out of touch with the world. Welcome back from the Dark Ages. I started to send you a text today complaining about how cold it is here in OK, but then I checked your weather and New Caney was only about 2 degrees warmer. At least we don't have any freezing rain or snow in the forecast like you do. Supposed to be back up to 64 degrees this weekend. Between this cold weather keeping me inside and the recent surgery on my eye keeping me from fishing is becoming expensive. Sitting around the house all day with nothing to do but roam the internet has lead to the purchase of quite a few new flies, some fly tying materials and tools, a new spool for one of my reels, a new rod, and am currently waiting on a used rod I ordered from Fiberglass Manifesto. I'm also currently working on some rod/reel trades with a guy in Sweden.

Larry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:44 pm • # 47 

Well, the snow quit this afternoon. At least I was off. Gotta go in tomorrow and work, then teach a class until ten. Gonna be a long, cold day........ I did tie a few crickets today. Not much else to do. Ready for the white bass to start heading upstream.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:24 pm • # 48 

I would dearly love to get into some white bass again. Seems like every time we try we are told "oh man, you should have been here yesterday".

Larry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:45 pm • # 49 

Well come on down! Oughta be right in another month or so.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:03 pm • # 50 

Little far to drive for a day's fishing. With my usual luck at hitting the white bass run, the rivers and creeks would freeze over just before I arrived. Guess I'll just have to wait 'til May to get my fix, even if there's no white bass around by then. Instead of catching 20-30 sand bass, maybe I can catch 20-30 Rios.

Larry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:12 pm • # 51 

Just got off the phone with Jeff Jackson, one of the TFO reps, and he is planning to come join us. Jeff met up with some of us at a fiberglass conclave in eastern Oklahoma a few years ago. He is a great guy and is looking forward to this trip as the only Hill Country fishing he has ever done was on the San Marcos. The last time I met him he was handling warranty issues for TFO, so I guess if anybody has a broken rod, you can take it up with him, but not while he is fishing or eating ;).

Larry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:39 pm • # 52 

I'm assuming the water will be warm enough in May for wet wading.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:56 pm • # 53 

Now don't be a wuss Jim. Even up here in the cold northland of Oklahoma, we are wet wading by mid to late April. Of course we are Okies, tough as boot leather and just as smart. Air temps should be well up in the 80's and even 90's by then. The water will be plenty warm enough.

Larry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:13 pm • # 54 

Just didn't want to worry about my rubber ducky getting chilled........

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:18 pm • # 55 

"Just didn't want to worry about my rubber ducky getting chilled....."

So that's what you call it. Well if you don't wade in above mid-thigh you should be OK. :rollin

Larry

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:44 pm • # 56 

I am gradually hearing from more people on the glass board who are coming to Mason or are strongly thinking about it. This may turn into a fairly big shindig. Will probably have to split groups up to fish different areas so as not to overcrowd. If everybody shows up that is talking about it, we are up to about 15-16 people so far. Of course we are still close to 4 months away. Some of those may fall away, or several more may decide to join us.
Larry

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:22 am • # 57 

You gonna drive one of the buses?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:53 am • # 58 

No bus, they will just have to crowd into the bed of my pickup and hold on.

Larry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:22 am • # 59 

I sure am going to try to make it. May is our watch-swap month (they swap us around over the course of a month so that we end up on the opposite week -- everyone gets holidays in alternate years) and we never know how they're going to shuffle the schedule until the beginning of May. Even if I have to take a day or two off, I'm going to try to come out.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:49 am • # 60 

You have to Aaron; I really need to cast that new Barclay rod. Or, if you can't get away, just ship the rod to me for a trial run. I'll get it back to you.....eventually. ;)

Larry

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next   Page 3 of 4   [ 78 posts ] New Topic Add Reply