It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: A Safety Pin
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:53 pm • # 1 

I've picked up some good tips here, like hooking a fly through a rubber band, stretching then flicking the rubber band a few times to quickly dry a fly, or to shake off drying powder, excess floatant.

I keep a 1″ or smaller safety pin clipped to the lanyard with my scissor/clamp, and one with my nippers even if they have a pin for cleaning out a hook eye. Besides being able to clean a hook eye, a safety pin can usually be jammed through any tangle like a wind knot, or a closed up slip knot after pulling a level line off of a Tenkara rod lillian. Close the safety pin and that knot cannot be tightened further. Alternate pushing each side of the line into the knot and the loop will begin to open after a bit until you can grab it with your fingers or hemostats. Works better/faster with stiff vs. limp; fluorocarbon vs. mono.

Post subject: Re: A Safety Pin
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:21 am • # 2 

What a great idea, Brian. I have a 'hole poker' on my clippers, but a longer pin as you describe would definitely be handy at times. (what's a 'Lillian'?)
brent

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:43 am • # 3 

wheezeburnt wrote:
What a great idea, Brian. I have a 'hole poker' on my clippers, but a longer pin as you describe would definitely be handy at times. (what's a 'Lillian'?)
brent
I hope you don't have tangles often, but that a safety pin will be helpful when they occur.

A lillian is a short length of tubular braided cord kind of like those add-on tip loops for fly lines or "Chinese handcuffs", on the end of a Tenkara Rod that is what the line is attached to.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:38 am • # 4 

Good tip. I’ve often tried and failed to get knots out using the cleaning pin in my nippers.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:27 pm • # 5 

I carry safety pins too, in a couple of sizes . Sometimes to clear the eye of a fly and sometimes to undo an unwanted knot. I also dull the tip of the safety pin because if it if too sharp it may nick the mono as you are undoing the knot. Adios Philip

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply