It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:28 pm • # 1 

The "Royal Wulff" #12.

*Step by step all season Dry Fly Tutorial.
(Included are personal tying/fishing tips for added durability and function.)

■Materials■(Royal Wulff, Dry Fly.)

●Hook:- Dai-Riki #305.
●Thread:- Veevus 14/0 Black.
●Hackle:- Brown/Ginger Badger saddle.
●Wings:- White Polypropylene yarn.
●Thorax:- Black Superfine dub with UV fibers mixed in.
●Abdomen/Body:- Peacock herl.
●Hot Spot:- Red Silk.
●Tail:- Dyed Lady Amherst tippet fibers.
●Rib:- 8/0 Uni Thread.
●Adhesive:- Loc-tite Superglue & Sally Hansen "Hard as Nails."

■Tying Recipe■

●Start the thread just behind the eye. Work down about 2-3mm.
●Next select approximately a 2" section of Polypropylene yarn. Thin it out just a tiny bit for the size #12.(I tie my wings on the Royals BIG for added visibility and attraction.) Tie it in on top of the shank, then start making figure 8 wraps to secure them down. Then individually post up each wing about 1-2mm to help keep them fixed at there intended upright and outward angles.
●*Before moving further, use a toothpick or dubbing needle to apply a small amount of Superglue to all thread wraps securing down the wings.*
●Next measure the tail fibers about a shank length in length, and tie them down behind the wings. Continue down the shank to the bend, securing down the tail and keeping the fibers on top of the shank. Stop just short of the bend.
●Tie in a single 8" strand of your choice in color 8/0 Uni Thread on the far side of the shank. Then tie in 2-3 Peacock herl just in front of the tail on the near side of the shank. Advance thread about 2mm up the shank.
●*Apple a tiny amount of Superglue to the thread wraps that will recieve the wrapped Peacock herl."
●In tightly toughing turn wraps, wrap the Peacock herl about 2-3 times around the shank and secure down. Snip off Peacock herl close.
●Next apply a tiny amount of Superglue to about an inch to the Uni thread rib and tightly rib the Peacock herl. Capture it down with thread and snip off close.
●Advance the thread to just behind the wings and do a 3 turn whip finish and snip thread off close.
●Now start your hot spot choice of thread/material to the shank just behind the wings and work down to just in front of the wrapped Peacock herl.
_
(***When doing this Hotspot portion, it's important to always keep the thread flat, so a UTC Thread, Silk, or Veevus works best. NOT a Uni thread. This insures a nice and even Hotspot, but more importantly this will allow you to NOT create so much thread bulk in doing so. The Hotspot is supposed to be slende on a Royal.***)_

Continue to make the Hotspot even, covering up all traces of any Peacock fibers and black thread...nothing should be "bleeding" through the 2-3mm Hotspot. After the Hotspot is created, make a 3 turn whip finish and snip off the thread close.

●Reattach the main black thread to the shank. Tie in 2-3 more Peacock herl on the near side of the shank, and another 8" strand of Uni 8/0 thread on the far side of the shank.
●Apply a small amount of Superglue to the thread that will recieve the Peacock herl.
●Tightly wrap the Peacock herl up the shank and about a millimeter behind the wings. Secure them down and snip off close. Next repeat the rib steps to this front portion.
●Advance the thread to just behind the eye.
●Tie in the Hackle just behind the eye and secure down tightly. (It should be tied down so the feather actually over hangs the eye of the hook. This is called "Reverse Hackling" and is intended for added durability.)
●Using a fine Dry Fly Dubbing, VERY LIGHTLY dub the Thorax from just behind the eye to just behind the wings. (The reason for the added Dubbing in the Thorax is so the hackle is wrapped more securely by having the dubbing to bite into instead of the bare thread.) The thread is left just in front of the Peacock herl awaiting the Hackle.
●Now start wrapping the Hackle tightly in touching turns all the way to your waiting thread. Once the Hackle meets your thread, trap it down and use the thread as you would a rib, cutting sharply through the fibers to just behind the eye.
●Next make a 3-4 turn whip finish and snip the thread off close.
●Using your favorite Head Cement, Varnish, or Superglue, add a light coat to the whip finished thread wraps.
●DONE!!!!

***I started tying my Royals, (and all other Dries especially for Wild Trout) this way with all the added durability steps after I came back from fishing for Natives for the first time in the Mountain. I quickly realized how aggressive Native/Wild Trout can be, and more importantly how vicious they can be to a Dry Fly. (I went through a bunch in a short time. Lol) So although the added steps add to a bit more time on the vise tying, I can assure you it's well worth it. It might take 2 extra minutes on the vise, but will save you MUCH MUCH MUCH more time on the water.***

**I have a video on this page of me demonstrating the "Reverse Hackle" technique if anyone is interested. It's further down the page in the 2015 category, but is real easy to find. If I can, I'll post a link to it in the comment section.**

*The Royal Wulff's are EXTREMELY effective patterns.....especially in the summertime when they have more bugs to imitate and when fished in faster waters.*

---------------- Hope you ENJOY! ------------------

- Justin Aldrich

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:01 pm • # 2 

I love that fly! Nice tie!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:02 pm • # 3 

Its the first Fly I start with on every Blueline trip.....no matter the season. Thanks Strummer.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:13 am • # 4 

Adding you to my prayers. Get well soon, man!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:53 am • # 5 

Lovely looking wulff. What is a blueline trip?
brent

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:52 am • # 6 

Bluelining is fishing small, remote streams that are represented by a blue line on a map.

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply