It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Flash's FlipFlop Popper
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:58 am • # 1 

Never done a Step by Step before however Cowpokey asked about a quick, easy, cheap popper I use alot. I call it a FlipFlop Popper because I have no imagination :D

Here we go!

Hammer, $1 FlipFlop ( any color you want I like Bright Green, Yellow and Black ) and Hole punches. I commonly use 5/16 for #8,10 and 12 hooks, 3/8 for #4 and 6 hooks and the 1/2 for Big #2 Poppers.

Knocked a few 3/8 heads out, that scrap wood is very important! Don't damage your desktop or enrage your sweetheart!

Okay now it looks like we're tying a bug not playing in wood shop! I like using a Mustad R73-9671 hook I use them for alot of other flys also. Their 2XH/3XL this is a size #6. Added a nice thread base a small pinch of white Bucktail and four strands of Pearl Crystal Flash.

Tie in a lil white neck hackle bringing it forward to just past where the end of your body will be.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:21 pm • # 2 

Had to get another glass of Sweet Ice Tea :D

Where were we?

Poke a hole thru the popper head, I like mine about 1/3 the width of the head up from the bottom. Centering the hole will make more POP but the Bug will be harder to pick up quietly, making it lower gives less POP which is usually better for timid Bluegill. This one is sized for Bass specifically Suwannee Bass ;)

Prefit the head on the hook and get it where you like it then remove ( clean any foam from the hook eye now ) add a drop or two of ZapaGap or SuperGlue to the thread base on the hook and reinstall he head, get it where you want it quick!

All Bass and Bream Poppers have to have legs, Don't Argue! Here's what I use to install them in foam bugs. For legs I use silicone spinner bait skirts availible at any Tackle shop in various colors.

Just thread the legs thru the loop on the needle then push the needle thru and carefully pull the legs thru. A tiny touch of ZapaGap or Superglue will keep lil Bream from pulling your legs out.

All bugs have eye's again don't argue! :D

I normaly use fingernail polish and a toothpick to make eyes, I think it looks better and makes the bug lighter. I'm SuperGlueing Tiny Babydoll eyes on this one though apparently someone ran off with my white fingernail polish?

There we go! Simple, Fast, Cheap and Catch's Fish! You can tie them smaller for Bream and Larger for Bass or do like I do and tie them medium size and Catch Both!

Thanks hope you enjoyed!

Last edited by flflash on Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:34 am • # 3 
Administrator

I need to buy a punch since I have some of those flip flops

Les

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:18 pm • # 4 

The ones picture are made by General Tools I purchased them at ACE Hardware several years ago $7-8 dolars each. Places like Harbor Freight, JC Whitney and others have whole sets much cheaper. Steel tubing with a cap on one end and the inner edge sharpened would work also.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:30 pm • # 5 

Mainly thanks to a FFF Master caster here in TX named Al Crise, may he RIP, those are known here as Shoe Flies

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:57 pm • # 6 

I'm sure many have had similar bugs these are not my original idea just sharing how I do them. I like his name for them better :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:39 am • # 7 

Wow! I just tie in a marabou tail and call it good.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:05 am • # 8 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:59 pm • # 9 

Good idea and will save a little money too..............Don in SC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:20 pm • # 10 

Tailingloop wrote:
Good idea and will save a little money too..............Don in SC

I've actually since purchased a set of River Road Creations Gary Krebs Popper jigs. A little expensive but they cut very nice consistent foam bug bodies out of foam tubes. I tie A Lot of foam poppers and I'm sure I'll get my moneys worth out of them. I hate to admit I'm not as cheap as I try to be :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:27 am • # 11 

Nice and simple; I like 'em

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:59 am • # 12 

Nice! A cheaper way to get the foam plugs is to use brass tubing in a drill. I have a few sizes and use the smaller sizes to push the foam out once its cut. Sharpening the tubing edges with a round file makes it even easier to cut the foam.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:16 pm • # 13 

All you need is a cartridge case to cut the foam bodies. Choose a fired case that has a mouth that is the diameter you need and sharpen the inside if the case mouth (bevel it) with a file, or a chamfering tool. Then use it the same way you would brass tubing tapping with a hammer. In the picture below, I have cut some foam disk for a "sneaky duck" but you can cut thicker foam as well..............Don in SC

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply