It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:47 pm • # 1 

Targhee National Forest, Idaho

Small Stream Fly Fishing

There is barely enough water flowing down Porcupine Creek to be called a creek except during Spring run off. Mother Nature made good habitat for Brook Trout to thrive and then provided protection by hiding them in a willow choked valley, out of sight from most, except for very adventurous predators . Except for those places where the road crosses it, you would never believe it is even there, though the map says so. To the casual angler, the valley holds little, if any water and surely not enough to support trout life to any abundance or worthiness to put forth effort to find a suitable place to cast a fly rod. But there are trout in this stream. Brookies, Cutthroat and Rainbows and the odd tiny Brown call streams like Porcupine Creek home. Only at the odd intersection where road meets water, do they see much pressure. Get a little adventurous and experience casting to trout that may have never before seen an artificial fly.

This region is mainly known for the two Blue Ribbon Trout Rivers, the Henry's Fork and the South Fork of the Snake. These two rivers need no introduction and both are on a 'must visit' list of most traveling anglers. My purpose in writing is to offer information about a place or two where you can take a break from the crowds and challenge your skills. You see, it is a mistake to approach these small streams with the mind set the fishing will be easy and the fish stupid and hungry. I also warn those readers who consider spending a day on the area small streams to bring an additional fly rod/reel, more suitable to small stream fishing. In other words, your 9 foot 5 weight will be nearly useless on a stream that is three feet wide, 12 inches deep and grown over by willows to the point of being nearly invisible unless you are standing in it.

These are great times to be a fly fisherman. Manufactures are producing more and more specialized fly rods and reels. Most manufactures are producing fly rods that are shorter than most of us are tall and seemingly out of place in a fly rod catalog. For streams such as Porcupine Creek, I prefer a fly rod that is under 7 feet and the closer you get to 5 foot, the easier they are to work with in such tight quarters. Most of the trout in these streams average 6-10 inches with a 12 inch trout being a real trophy. I feel any rod heavier than 3wt is too much rod and a medium action 1 or 2 weight being much better. Some of my favorite fly rods for the tight quarters I encounter on streams like these, include a 6' 6â€

Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ] New Topic Add Reply